Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mk4 1.5jz project

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 07:18 AM
SC_Vince
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see some videos!!!
Old 01-20-11, 08:40 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes sir as soon as i get it tune and dyno i will post some videos.
Old 01-20-11, 12:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

In for pics and vids!!! all I can remember is the sounds of cranking / backfiring / and a starter biting the dust.
Old 01-20-11, 05:18 PM
VasFinest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bro this was nice as **** when I looked at this last night redunkuless. Cant wait to get you to wire up that vvti head this weekend. Also would like to sit in on the tunning of that other supra if at all possible.
Old 12-18-12, 08:47 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Well it has been a long time since i was helping my friend to work on the car, he got tired and almost sold me the car but backed out the last minute.

Machine shop screwed up and didn't do what i told him to ask them to do!

We were using a 1jzgte head with 2jzgte 272 cams and the cams needed to be machine to fit the head! but instead this .... machined the head.

I didn't see notice it because my friend put the head together , start the car up it sounded great but after a couple days starting it up and letting it idle on one night the Engine when kaboum.

So he called me and told me , i was like WTF.

He pulled the head off and them we started to to look and the #6 valves broke and dropped in the cylinder distroyed everything .

Got a new block and a new cylinder head , and the machine shop did the exact thing mind you all this time i didn't know what he told the machine shop.

Got the head back and built block and he thought it was a wiring issue, aem issue so he went a bought a brand new wiring harness from toyota.

Installed the harness and kaboum again in front of me , WTF is going on.

So i then statrted to ask him all kinds of questions but he was getting mad at me because of all the questions i started to ask him.

I started looking at the head and come to find out the top part where the camshaft sits on the head was machined so that's what has been screwing everything up the whole time because the guy didn't machine the camshafts but he machined the cylinder had...No NO.

So now we back to scare 1, But with bigger and better things i will keep you guys posted.
Old 12-18-12, 11:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Tell him part it out and sell me the shell
Old 12-18-12, 11:13 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^LOl sherwin he won't do it , i tried to buy it and at the last minute he said " I can't do it , i am not gonna give up"

He ordered some CP pistions 10.1 CR 86mm, with Carillo HD rods to redo the block.
Old 12-18-12, 07:26 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Finally running, after 3 weeks of diagnostic lol yes 3 weeks that the car cranks but back fires in the intake manifold, the engine sounds like it's hydro locking.
Killed 4 starters, and 3 batteries.
I did the wiring on this car, i double checked , triple checked and checked the wiring about 100 times and verything was right on wiring side of the ignition, come to find out the crank pulley had 2 mark on it. We were lining up the crank pulley with the yellow line all this time finally turned the crank by hand and we saw both mark on the pulley the white on which is TDC and the Yellow which i don't know what the hell that's for.
So the fired right up with some brake cleaner, so yesterday we installed the FPR and she fired right up running a little rich but she sounded mean as hell with the 4"DP sounds like Jet fighter.
I need to clean up the wiring alittle and i will post up more pics.
The yellow mark is for running timing check with a timing gun. I believe it's like 10-14 degree advanced to adjust timing after the car is running or while starting. Just a FYI. I recently
Did a timing belt and after it was all together i
Couldn't get it to spin around two rotation. Finally after blowing some air in the cylinder it started to move. Lol. Dunno what the cause was but the car is running now.

Last edited by jwin; 12-18-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 04:53 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^This MK4 had a different issue , the head was machine with made the cams even more aggressive because they sit further down in the head.
Old 12-19-12, 06:15 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry about the mishaps Omar. At least you got it figured out before another block and head were destroyed again. I could only imagine what he has spent so far on it. He must to have gotten the car super cheap, like you said. It looks mean and I am awaiting the dyno when it is all said and done.
Old 12-19-12, 07:40 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Mark,

Thanks! He got the car for a great deal! and dumped alot of money into the car. Seats, Tiatns Swaybars, 2 built blocks, 2 built heads, twin disc, tt brakes all around,ems, wiring harness,CCW,R888 tires, Billet hanger, Twin pump, roll cage,1 peice DS,AIM Strada Dash digital (like the racepak) alot of goodies , paint, Custum Suspension..
Yes alot of money so there is no turning back at this point

I will post some pics next year when i start working on it! I have to finish my buddy's SC first.

I am trying to convince him to run E85 because it will make more power and more TQ than the C16 he is running, but we will have to upgrade the 1000cc to some High impedance 2000 or 2150fc.
Old 12-19-12, 08:26 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Omar,

I thought about running E85 in mine but trying to find it everywhere was the deciding factor for me. There is only 2 places that I could find it at the time when I did my build. If you all have it more places, I would also recommend it to him also. I didnt want to be on a road trip and not have it nor my laptop with me...
Old 12-19-12, 09:18 AM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

This is interesting because i have a friend who has a freshly built ge block and was thinking about putting his 1j head on it and asked if i ever heard about doing this haha. I will route him to this thread now! awesome build. I was looking forward to some vids.
Old 12-19-12, 10:30 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Well it has been a long time since i was helping my friend to work on the car, he got tired and almost sold me the car but backed out the last minute.

Machine shop screwed up and didn't do what i told him to ask them to do!

We were using a 1jzgte head with 2jzgte 272 cams and the cams needed to be machine to fit the head! but instead this .... machined the head.

I didn't see notice it because my friend put the head together , start the car up it sounded great but after a couple days starting it up and letting it idle on one night the Engine when kaboum.

So he called me and told me , i was like WTF.

He pulled the head off and them we started to to look and the #6 valves broke and dropped in the cylinder distroyed everything .

Got a new block and a new cylinder head , and the machine shop did the exact thing mind you all this time i didn't know what he told the machine shop.

Got the head back and built block and he thought it was a wiring issue, aem issue so he went a bought a brand new wiring harness from toyota.

Installed the harness and kaboum again in front of me , WTF is going on.

So i then statrted to ask him all kinds of questions but he was getting mad at me because of all the questions i started to ask him.

I started looking at the head and come to find out the top part where the camshaft sits on the head was machined so that's what has been screwing everything up the whole time because the guy didn't machine the camshafts but he machined the cylinder had...No NO.

So now we back to scare 1, But with bigger and better things i will keep you guys posted.
Woooowwwwww....id be highly upset.
Old 12-20-12, 10:22 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What the heck! Dang bad luck but you guys will get it straight.

If it happens again put the machinist in the trunk of the Sc I heard its a tight fit

Quick Reply: Mk4 1.5jz project