Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sad morning.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 05:03 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Ok its worth a shot, where does the other end of that wire go, to the ignitor?
How many volts should it be reading while cranking?
Old 12-15-10, 07:40 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was referring the the crank gear behind the pulley. if the star on it has become disconnected the crank sensor has nothing to read regardless if thats working or not. but i can understand not wanting to take all that apart until you check other things.
Old 12-16-10, 09:04 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by SC51
^ Ok its worth a shot, where does the other end of that wire go, to the ignitor?
How many volts should it be reading while cranking?
it goes from the ignitor to the ecu. I'm not sure the proper way to check this with a voltmeter, it fires a pulse everytime a coil is fired, so it should be going from 0 to some voltage back and forth rapidly. IF the IGF is not returning this signal to the ecu (means your coils are not firing properly), the ecu will shut off the injectors so you do not flood the engine under a no spark condition.
Old 12-16-10, 09:29 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it goes from the ignitor to the ecu. I'm not sure the proper way to check this with a voltmeter, it fires a pulse everytime a coil is fired, so it should be going from 0 to some voltage back and forth rapidly. IF the IGF is not returning this signal to the ecu (means your coils are not firing properly), the ecu will shut off the injectors so you do not flood the engine under a no spark condition.
Well said that's exactly what it does.

Just wiggle the wire back and forth it's a red with yellow.
Old 12-16-10, 02:56 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys So I got a day off tomarrow I'll first

1, Check ohms of cam sensors
2, Try the wiggle wire technique
3, See if I can get a signal from IGF

If that doesn't work

4, Start taking apart timing assemble because obv somethings not right down there because of belt rubbing. Hopefully I'll find star detached. If all is good, replace ignitor?

And might as well re torque head and get new t-belt
Old 12-17-10, 05:19 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car starts you should definitely remove the upper timing belt cover and look down there with a flashlight.

This does sound like it could be that the star has detached and is contacting the belt possibly.

If that is the case you can have the star tack welded back on, then you grind the welds down.

Good luck man!
Old 12-17-10, 05:53 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
If the car starts you should definitely remove the upper timing belt cover and look down there with a flashlight.

This does sound like it could be that the star has detached and is contacting the belt possibly.

If that is the case you can have the star tack welded back on, then you grind the welds down.

Good luck man!
100% Correct i did the same on my 1JZ. It's the crank signal pick up.
Old 12-17-10, 02:04 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

So today I checked

Cam sensors 1- 1,181k ohms, 2- 1,190k ohms, so those were good. Then I tried the wiggling wires while starting and that didn't work. So I started taking timing covers etc off, noticed the belt was soo far back, stuck my finger down there and I can spin the star gear...it came loose

So I'm guessing thats the culprit time to order a greddy belt and maybe another new front seal.

Heres a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails Sad morning.-first-prob.jpg   Sad morning.-2nd-prob.jpg  
Old 12-17-10, 03:28 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well at least you know for sure what the problem is now
Old 12-17-10, 05:21 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC51

... time to order a greddy belt and ...
May I make the simple suggestion that you just buy the blue Gates racing belt instead of that overpriced, rebadged item and call it a day . . unless you are just looking for some bling for your car's spec sheet

btw, it's #T215RB and it's < $60
Old 12-17-10, 07:54 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^ Thanks ya thats actually what I'm going with just couldn't think of the name
Old 12-18-10, 05:19 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

This what distroyed mine. i used a puller to pull the gear off and replace the crank seal, i forgot to remove the little bracket will hex head on the driver side it's there to keep the gear from coming off the crank.
And the bracket just ring just snapped off the gear i just took it out and hit it with a hammer and i never had a problem with it for 2 years.
Just get it tack welded and should be fine.

The Gates belt will do great don't waste your money on Greddy or HKS belt because the belt is originally made by Gates they just put their label on it and sell it for $175.00
Old 12-18-10, 09:10 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

This what distroyed mine. i used a puller to pull the gear off and replace the crank seal, i forgot to remove the little bracket will hex head on the driver side it's there to keep the gear from coming off the crank.
And the bracket just ring just snapped off the gear i just took it out and hit it with a hammer and i never had a problem with it for 2 years.
Just get it tack welded and should be fine.

The Gates belt will do great don't waste your money on Greddy or HKS belt because the belt is originally made by Gates they just put their label on it and sell it for $175.00
Damn so yours destroyed the bracket? I'm not sure if mine is messed up yet, I mean once I weld it theres no need for the bracket rite?
Old 12-28-10, 08:22 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Okay so i pulled my motor out my car and took it apart so this is what ive found sorry for the blurry pics the Creamy look came from the water when i power washed it it actually more silverish brown shattered pieces of metal all over #4 had the "knock" the bearing was completely gone
Old 12-29-10, 07:57 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Pipe Okay so i pulled my motor out my car and took it apart so this is what ive found sorry for the blurry pics the Creamy look came from the water when i power washed it it actually more silverish brown
...sorry to hear about your issue. I'm not sure if you posted on the wrong thread or something. But you should address your issue on your own post.

Don't thread jack

Quick Reply: Sad morning.