Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10 | 01:01 PM
codye3m
Rookie

^ did you take out the rubber brushiung off first, there r two of them one on each side, btw i used channel locks to take off the ball end worked very well
Old 04-22-10 | 05:06 AM
soulific
Advanced

Whats the difference between the supports with spoiler and without?

Are the sizes design different? It shouldnt be different right? Im thinking the with spoiler lifts are stronger while the no spoiler are weaker right? Am I correct?

I want my trunk to open automatically when i open it from the inside. So to be 10o percent sure can I get the stronger with spoiler model???I have no spoiler, came that way stock. Or will it be too strong?
Old 04-22-10 | 02:51 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Just ordered 2 from Autozone. Total came to 29.30 tax and shipping included.
Old 04-23-10 | 02:52 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soulific
Whats the difference between the supports with spoiler and without?

Are the sizes design different? It shouldnt be different right? Im thinking the with spoiler lifts are stronger while the no spoiler are weaker right? Am I correct?

I want my trunk to open automatically when i open it from the inside. So to be 10o percent sure can I get the stronger with spoiler model???I have no spoiler, came that way stock. Or will it be too strong?
Just get the shocks meant for a car with a spoiler, they should be beefier than shocks meant without spoiler. I was hoping that when I bought new trunk shocks for my SC, that my trunk would open by itself, but unfortunately the trunk is slightly too heavy to open by itself. If I did not have a spoiler, I'm sure it would.
Old 04-23-10 | 03:09 AM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luxor
Just get the shocks meant for a car with a spoiler, they should be beefier than shocks meant without spoiler. I was hoping that when I bought new trunk shocks for my SC, that my trunk would open by itself, but unfortunately the trunk is slightly too heavy to open by itself. If I did not have a spoiler, I'm sure it would.
I originally bought the ones for cars w/o a spoiler and ended up replacing them with ones that were for cars w/ a spoiler also hoping that the hood would open by itself but no such luck. Anyone know of any versions that will lift the trunk open by themselves?
Old 04-23-10 | 12:32 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by potatoBBQ
I originally bought the ones for cars w/o a spoiler and ended up replacing them with ones that were for cars w/ a spoiler also hoping that the hood would open by itself but no such luck. Anyone know of any versions that will lift the trunk open by themselves?
My trunk does not have a spoiler. I bought the struts for a trunk WITH a spoiler. My trunk opens on its own when I pop the switch.
Old 04-23-10 | 02:36 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by TroySC300
My trunk does not have a spoiler. I bought the struts for a trunk WITH a spoiler. My trunk opens on its own when I pop the switch.
what model you get? Im thinking about picking up the strong arms. From review they seem to live up to their name and are the stongest.
Old 04-23-10 | 05:04 PM
cheez
Pole Position

i bought trunk lifts from ebay from lifts supports depot? well thats wut it says on the pic and on a hot day it will open by itself or if im lucky it will do it at night when its cool outside. and i bought the one without the spoiler
Old 04-23-10 | 05:27 PM
soulific
Advanced

I just ordered 2 mighty lift part #e95270 with spoiler, from my boy at kragen. It cost me $24 and some change total.

this mighty lift and strong arm are the same product made by the same factory.

Hopefully it turns out good and getting the with spoiler version on my spoiler less trunk will make it pop up by itself.
Old 04-24-10 | 08:21 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Just got my '93 SC400 this past week and was able to change the dead trunk supports in 15 mins. thanks to this post!!! Thank you!!
Old 05-18-10 | 10:51 PM
koukii
Driver

My SC's trunk is supported by this little clip that holds onto the carpet when I lift the trunk all the way up. It stays up, until the wind blows... I learned the hard way when the trunk slammed down on my lower back. Can you imagine passing a car with a guy half inside his trunk closed on him for five minutes? haha.
Old 05-18-10 | 11:58 PM
blobs
Rookie

awesome thread
Old 06-06-10 | 06:09 PM
Akito san
Pole Position

KOUKII-
LMAO i would try to help but be laughing while am at it maybe take a pic and posted it here
Old 08-10-10 | 08:00 PM
EarlSpitz
Driver School Candidate

Default Dangerous Speed

So, I replaced my trunk supports tonight and seem to have the opposite problem of most posting here. My trunk now opens with a violent enough motion to shake the car. I'm worried I'll forget and knock myself out. On the plus side it may be possible to scare randoms in parking lots.
Old 08-11-10 | 05:18 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

I have a question about the specific trunk support units I will need. I recently
want to Advanced Auto and was about to purchase these. They said that units
are different with and with out a factory spoiler. My vehicle does have the lip
spoiler, but I have a feeling it's aftermarket. It does not have a brake light and
the paint job is really bad. I'm assuming the previous owner installed this but I
want to make sure before ordering. Is there a way to tell if this spoiler was factory
or not? Also, is there a definite difference between the struts?

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...