Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 01:54 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I gotta do it guys... sorry. Kicking up an old thread. Here is my problem

I followed the instructions perfectly as said here. For some freaking reason, that first step of trying to get the nut off just won't go for me. That damn nut just won't budge. I have almost damn hear stripped the nut. I tried WD-40, liquid wrench, but nothing. No progress.

I was thinking about dremeling the plastic connector that connects directly onto the pivot ball of the trunk support. Any thoughts on that before I go ahead and do so?
Same thing happened dude...hard as heck to loosen...I gave up....next time(If I have time)...I'll try the air tools
Old 08-06-05, 02:13 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah, this remided me to order them. haha
Old 08-06-05, 02:22 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Same thing happened dude...hard as heck to loosen...I gave up....next time(If I have time)...I'll try the air tools

so I take that as a "yes" to my question
Old 08-06-05, 09:05 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You may have followed the instructions perfectly, but you missed posts #10 and #59.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 08-07-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-07-05, 09:45 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
You may have followed the instructions perfectly, but you missed post #59.
I missed it too..

Thanks Perry
Old 08-07-05, 05:37 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
You may have followed the instructions perfectly, but you missed posts #10 and #59.
Au contraire my friend. I did see your posts #10 and #59. I used a lighter and held it there for a while and it still did not work. I'm not sure how long I was supposed to keep the lighter on that bolt, but I had it there for a while.
Old 08-07-05, 06:28 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You said you "tried WD-40, liquid wrench..", but you never mentioned heat, hence my comment.

The bolt is hard to remove because they use Loc-Tite at the factory, and once you apply enough heat to soften the Loc-Tite, it should be as easy to remove as any conventional bolt. How much heat to apply is a judgement call (but for you beginners, you can stop once things start glowing).
Old 08-07-05, 06:30 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 412 Likes on 287 Posts

Hit up the Home Depot and get some Liquid Wrench. A little bit of that plus a little heat should do the trick..

edit: just read the previous post, I couldn't get the bolt on my passenger side off as easily as my driver's side, but the COMBO of Liquid Wrench followed immediately by heat did the trick, where Liquid Wrench alone did not.
Old 08-08-05, 06:15 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Hit up the Home Depot and get some Liquid Wrench. A little bit of that plus a little heat should do the trick..

edit: just read the previous post, I couldn't get the bolt on my passenger side off as easily as my driver's side, but the COMBO of Liquid Wrench followed immediately by heat did the trick, where Liquid Wrench alone did not.
I did

...I followed the instructions perfectly as said here. For some freaking reason, that first step of trying to get the nut off just won't go for me... I tried WD-40, liquid wrench, but nothing. No progress.
Besides, wouldn't immediate flame with liquid wrench be quite a hazard since the stuff is flammable?

I am assuming that everyone is still against the idea of dremel the ball socket of the trunk shock? My new shocks didn't come with a new ball joint attached.
Old 08-08-05, 08:50 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks alot, i am actually going to replace mine this week also
Old 08-11-05, 06:20 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

whew, finished. i got the ac delco ones and the install was cake. pointers, the ball joint is a really easy clip in, so, just thread in the bolts first, then snap in the strut. i have no idea if thats been mentioned, but my arms are too tired to skim through all these pages, lol. its not the stock 12 mm, its a 7/16 wrench now. just an FYI. and mine DOES pop opened. i have a wingless trunk with an added stock 93 wing, and i used "with wing" struts. i turn the key, and the thing pops opened, and lifts all the way up, its sweet, lol.
Old 08-11-05, 06:22 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
whew, finished. i got the ac delco ones and the install was cake. pointers, the ball joint is a really easy clip in, so, just thread in the bolts first, then snap in the strut. i have no idea if thats been mentioned, but my arms are too tired to skim through all these pages, lol. its not the stock 12 mm, its a 7/16 wrench now. just an FYI. and mine DOES pop opened. i have a wingless trunk with an added stock 93 wing, and i used "with wing" struts. i turn the key, and the thing pops opened, and lifts all the way up, its sweet, lol.

So you actually used a 7/16 instead of a 12mm?
Old 08-11-05, 07:10 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaotiq
So you actually used a 7/16 instead of a 12mm?
yeah, i started with the 12 mm i left in the trunk from removal a few days ago, but once it got a lil tight, it just slipped right off, lol. tried an 11 mm, but it was too small, so i had to hunt, and finally, the 7/16th was the fit.
Old 08-27-05, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Great thread, going to attempt this next weekend! THanks Perry!
Old 09-09-05, 05:43 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Default rock auto discount code??

anyone got the latest rockauto discount code?? i guess im a little too late for the latest one?? probably aint much of a discount, but every little bit counts..

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...