Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 05:02 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

just finished this using the Delco struts from rockauto.com I ordered the SC400 w/ spoiler struts and it took about 20 min total. Removal of the old ball studs was 12mm and the new studs supplied were 7/16 as mentioned. The pass side was easy to remove on mine, but the drivers needed a good bit of force to break loose and then was stiff due to the locktite.

I guess I got the pimp versions as my factory spolier lid raises on its on once the lid is released via key or inside switch.

Wife will be happy to not have it drop on her head or body anymore.

Thanks for the step by step as well as the lead on rockauto.com or the parts. I wasn't able to find a discount code, but will post mine if they send me one.
Old 09-13-05, 11:26 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You didn't get any special version- many of us got the same lid pop-up for the first few weeks.
Enjoy it while you can- it doesn't last.

Rock Auto usually sends an email within a month of your purchase with your discount code.
Old 09-19-05, 12:39 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement

i ordered the trunk struts from rockauto and also had a ***** time removing the stud bolt. so i just busted out the sawzall and cut the old stud off and used a 12mm socket with ractchet and came off with eaze. only took a few minutes
Old 09-29-05, 06:32 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Rockauto.com discount code included below:

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer!

To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give this discount code: 302531287354 to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.
* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart
* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount"
- The discount code expires on November 29, 2005; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires, but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**
Old 09-29-05, 06:34 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

ahhhh thank you! my trunk does try to eat me every time I get something from it.
Old 09-29-05, 08:23 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine couple of days ago, will be here today.
Old 09-29-05, 11:11 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Got done changing out both shocks in 15 minutes.
Heating up the bolts with a lighter for 1-2 minutes definitely helped loosening them up.
Great thread.
Old 09-29-05, 05:42 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Just replaced mine, took me about 25 min. would have been much faster and easier if i had some help, if you decide to change yours, someone to help out would be great idea.
Old 10-26-05, 05:01 PM
JT_Johnny
Driver School Candidate

i know this is an old thread and ur cars have this mod already but i have an acura legend and i decided to install lift shocks for my trunk lid since legends dont come with that option. i would ask the acura legend forum but the only answer i can get is, I cant really do anything about it. anyway i installed them and when i sat back and looked at the trunk it actually has a slightly widened gap, tiny bit higher than the side fender trim. i was told the constant upward pressure is causing it to sit up a bit above normal. attached is an image of exactly how it looks, not on my legend but another, just curious what do you guys think could fix this problem? maybe mounting it differently? give me some ideas.

Old 10-26-05, 05:22 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default If the Acura Legend forum doesn't care.....

Here's an idea: Get a Lexus SC.

And this is not a mod for our cars- this is how they come from the factory. It's not surprising you are having problems when you install them on a trunk not designed for them.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 10-26-05 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (12-29-20)
Old 10-26-05, 05:37 PM
JT_Johnny
Driver School Candidate

opps, i didnt mean to say mod. i already knew u guys had it stock, just wanted to get some ideas of what could be the problem, maybe the mounting of it or something. dont have the money to get a diff car so ill stick with what i got
Old 11-18-05, 12:48 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Great write up, thanks!

To remove the dreaded bolt I used a cheater pipe (a 1½ foot long pipe that fits over my wrench) to give me extra leverage. Made removal quite easy.

Now I don't have to worry about getting hit in the head anymore from my trunk!
Old 12-09-05, 08:04 AM
rublex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daelo74
Will the pre97lifters fit a 97 with a spoiler? I can't find any for 97+
Hey guys, I am in need of changing my lift supports and have the same question as above. Would the ACDELCO Part # 510129 from RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...&parttype=1404) work for me, a 97 SC300 W/Spoiler?

Thanks
Old 12-18-05, 05:06 PM
MitchB
Driver School Candidate

So, Rockauto doesn't list any "w/spoiler" parts for '97-'99 SC's. BUT, they do for '96. Are these the same, or did the trunk lid change in '97?

This is an OLD thread (from post #1), and part numbers and stock codes seemed to have changed here and there.

Does anybody have a recent purchase from a retail store to be used in a '97+ SC?
Old 12-18-05, 05:35 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default A trunk lid is a trunk lid...

The car did NOT change in that area throughout its entire life cycle.
Go ahead and buy the pre-97 parts and if they don't fit, I'll eat my hat.
(And, I'll even buy them back from you, I am that certain they will fit.)

I even have some old lift supports somewhere in my garage, if you are that concerned,
carefully remove yours and measure it and I'll do likewise.

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...