Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Do it yourself BFI??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 05:21 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Do it yourself BFI??

Has anyone tried this from Peter's website?
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY.html

His tests shows 17HP gains!

Tony
Old 08-06-02, 06:26 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tony, i saw that a long time ago, but i'm scared to do it by myself. maybe we can work together on your car first!
Old 08-06-02, 06:41 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Yeah, I read it a while back too, and I'm interested 'cuz the price is right, I assume it will help most in high speed acceleration since the ram effect depends on speed, and the only thing I'm concerned about is intake noise, but I doubt if I will mind a little more hoot when I jam on the gas!

I will make my airbox out of black ABS wrinklefinish plastic. It's very easy to work with and will blend in with all the other black boxes under the hood. You can cut it with a Stanley knife, drill it easily, heat it with a heat gun and bend it, great stuff, you can find it at most plastic suppliers...don't ask me what ABS stands for (something something styrene) but the folks at the plastics shop will know.
Old 08-07-02, 12:38 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't ask me what ABS stands for (something something styrene)
Ha ha, this is my profession. Or formal training at least.

ABS - acrylonitrile butadine styrene
Blends well with PC or polycarbonate if you will.

ABS is used in almost everything we keep fairly permanent. Housings on electrical items like, computer monitors, tv's, your playstaion controllers, vacuum cleaners etc.

ABS/PC is used in those tacky hubcaps, headlight housings, ...
I could go on forever but I won't bore you guys.
Old 08-07-02, 01:40 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I see nothing new...

Here is a setup similar to mine:
Attached Thumbnails Do it yourself BFI??-p4300007.jpg  
Old 08-07-02, 01:48 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Oooo, DirectQL, I didn't know you had a turbo Supra :eek:! I've done the BFI except I used the brake vent as an air scoop, couldn't really feel a difference with my limited testing and experience, but I heard a difference I only used the BFI a short while though because it was the rainy season and I got a lot of moisture in the filter, which made me paranoid.
Old 08-07-02, 07:00 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Only acceleration times and terminal speeds were measured in the BFI testing - the hp increase is a java based website estimate using this info.

The BFI has three distinct chambers. The first separates water and dirt from the cold air intake and takes up the whole space behind the high beam lamps. The filter never gets wet.
The second is a chamber that uses the headlight as the roof to get maxium area.

The third is the large airbox with quick change filter mechanism and bellmouth entry to VAF (ie standard with the front cut out! )

Being a sealed unit to the front of the car it generates 5 cm of equivalent water pressure in whole intake at 100 km/hr (throttle closed). The system is still pressurised with cruise control set at 100 km/hr on flat road.
Wide open throttle no vacuum could be measured in front of the filter while driving on the road - The BFI provided more air than my V8 wanted. It isn't a cool breeze setup - it is a pressurised cold air intake that doesn't go into vacuum with wide open throttle.

The intake chamber is easy - the rest is bit of a pain. There are some templates to download and more pictures of suggested parts on the BFI Hardware page for those keen enough:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...IHardware.html

Too bad there isn't some sort of kit available.
Old 08-07-02, 11:38 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Oooo, DirectQL, I didn't know you had a turbo Supra :eek:! I've done the BFI except I used the brake vent as an air scoop, couldn't really feel a difference with my limited testing and experience, but I heard a difference I only used the BFI a short while though because it was the rainy season and I got a lot of moisture in the filter, which made me paranoid.
I didn't have a Supra, it's this nice girl's Supra. I think ladies that are into car are hot!
Old 02-08-03, 11:52 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I was bored today and so I made the BFI Intake for my car. Well sound wise it sounded better with the stock air box without the snorkel, but I really think I'm feeling some performance gains. The car revs up a bit easier and I can swear that the 0-60 is a hair faster, but maybe it’s just me. I hope I can get some feed back from anyone else who has tried it.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-03, 01:41 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a simple BFI set up on my Soarer. To me, the BFI is a worthy mod for a Soarer/SC... not expensive at all, and there are performance/fuel efficiency gains to be had.

For example, no joke, on cold nights, the time it takes me to do 0-100km/h I'm doing around 0-125~130km/h NO JOKE... this is in the JDM Soarer TT remember, in ideal conditions (i.e. cool ambient air, not much fuel).

The BFI also doesn't suck in hot air coming from the engine/turbos as it is totally sealed off, getting air from behind the headlight/number plate opening (depending on the style of BFI), mine's only simple as I'm planning to put a FMIC on the Soarer.

And when just tootling around the car can pull around anywhere from 8km~13km/L (avg. of 10~11km/L or a very wallet-friendly 9.5~10L/100kms).
Old 02-09-03, 09:28 AM
Tim
Pole Position

Great to hear someone in the States are trying out the BFI also. Just last week i made one for my SC400 using aluminum cut-out for the chamber under the headlight. It took awhile but finally got a sealed chamber under the headlight. My opinion going from the K&N filter to the BFI has made a difference. Throttle response has improved and cool sound of air forced into the scoop under the grill is more then just a sound/ it has a horsepower function unlike the K&N sounds, that from what i hear makes a horse power lose.
Old 02-09-03, 01:54 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

anybody have a different link to the diy bfi? that link above has been dead for a while
Old 02-09-03, 02:17 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The difference is clear with a cold air intake... I think that one good way to measure how well it works is to watch your engine temp after you install it. My temp gauge used to sit right in the middle all the time, and with my cold air intake it actually drops well below the second line, especially at night.
Old 02-09-03, 03:53 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Re: Do it yourself BFI??

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Has anyone tried this from Peter's website?
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY.html

His tests shows 17HP gains!

Tony
Here's the current link Planet Soarer BFI
Old 02-09-03, 05:05 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

woot thx

Quick Reply: Do it yourself BFI??