Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque Converter - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 01:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raj, call Pro Torque in Bohemia, ask for Joe Jr, tell him Jon with the GN sent you.
- Jon
Old 09-12-02, 02:27 PM
skiollyp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought 1.53 for 93 was bad...never mind
Old 09-12-02, 03:07 PM
KILLERLEXUS
Rookie

dont be cheap, just buy the real deal from precision ...dont let some one play with your stock one, waste of money,,plus the precision on is much bigger and it is made for heavy duty use...
Old 09-12-02, 03:48 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

wrong killer, the Precision unit is SMALLER, and i'm not biased either way, but you should know that Pro Torque makes the converters for alot of race cars, including Vinny Ten's Supra. Depends what you're looking for, for lower hp applications the lack of a HD proprietary case, anti-baloon plate, etc will not matter, you'll definitely need it for higher hp setups, but then again plenty of ppl have popped the P.I. converter too. SP has a couple of units also.
Old 09-13-02, 12:56 AM
rboorgu
Rookie

Well,

good points guys. However, I havn't yet figured out how to make the 1uz-fe engine require a "heavy duty" torque convertor. 260 pounds-ft of torque really is nothing compared the real torque monsters (LS1, turbo supra etc).

Raj
Old 09-13-02, 08:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by rboorgu
Well,

good points guys. However, I havn't yet figured out how to make the 1uz-fe engine require a "heavy duty" torque convertor. 260 pounds-ft of torque really is nothing compared the real torque monsters (LS1, turbo supra etc).

Raj
Its not how much torque you have, its how the vehicle transmits it!

A stock SC4 (mine) with a TC can pull a car length on a stock auto C-5 vette (torque monster you say) off the line. You do the math.
Old 09-13-02, 09:05 AM
Keith13b
Racer

BTW PI unit is SMALLER like Lex Luther said, but boy is it built! And it really doesn't matter if you get a re-worked unit or a PI unit - The benifits are similar. Its the quality of workmanship that determins reliability. I personally use the PI unit - VERYYYYYYY pleased. If Jon is recomending a shop; I've been on this board long enough to trust his judgement. Just remember the final decision is left up to us, so take what ever advice you choose and make your decision.

Keith
Old 09-14-02, 08:44 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Originally posted by Keith13b

Its not how much torque you have, its how the vehicle transmits it!

A stock SC4 (mine) with a TC can pull a car length on a stock auto C-5 vette (torque monster you say) off the line. You do the math.
Not trying to flame here, but torque is torque. Anyone else pulling on a C5 vette with their SC4's??

Raj
Old 09-15-02, 10:18 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

which is better, the Precision TC or the Dragon? also, what does it cost/how long does it take to install one of these units and are there any prerequisite mods/procedures i need to perform before having one installed?
Old 09-16-02, 09:53 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by kylesc400
which is better, the Precision TC or the Dragon? also, what does it cost/how long does it take to install one of these units and are there any prerequisite mods/procedures i need to perform before having one installed?
Its the same thing the PI unit is called the "Purple Dragon"

Install is 3-4 hours book labor time. The Dealer will screw you and charge you twice that. Find a competent tranny shop. Or DIY.

I'd recommend larger tires, You need em'.

And for rboorgu , my stock car still has the same torque #'s as stock, but (keeping this simple) I will beat a stock SC4 w/ a stock TC off the line. So your "torque is torque" is disproven because of the way the new TC transmits the Torque through the drivetrain- Its more efficient. Even cars w/ larger torque #'s, if their TC isn't as good as ours, we can still pull them off the line.......Now I'm not saying I have more torque than them, nor am I saying I could beat them, I'm just saying I can jump ahead off the line. How I last from there is questionable.
Old 09-16-02, 06:32 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down No Precision Industry TC for SC300

Just to make sure everyone knows. Despite the claims on their website, there is no torque converter for the SC300 from Precision Industries.
Old 08-26-03, 08:20 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

will there be any excessive wear for our cars if we use this?
Old 08-27-03, 10:42 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Yes- Tire wear.

Seriously, if you drive it normally, you will never notice a difference. Now , in all honesty I don't see how this could have any adverse affect on the rest of the transmission. I've had mine for a while now, and all is still good. I can say that this mod is BY FAR the best bang for the buck.

Gas mileage drops a little for the first month as you get used to not giving it so much gas when leaving from a stop. Then proably another month to let the fun wear off, so you aren't trying to race every car on the street. But luckily, it goes back to normal.

Just because its sooooo much fun, I spanked a new cobra three times at a light. The car was just about obnoxiously loud. We came to a stop and the first time it turned green (me not even considering racing that thing) he just nailed it and smoked the tires. So me being the cocky bastard I am, I just nailed it myself. The ol' Lex just hooked up and went like a bat outta hell. I flew by him BAD as he was still feathering the clutch to gain traction; so bad I knew I pissed him off. We came to the next light (like 2-3 blocks away). He just kept racing his engine and lurching forward. I figured I was doomed by that hollow metallic exhaust sound it was giving off- obviously not stock. But since I raced him before, I couldn't wuss out now. Luckilly for me, I noticed he had a hot girlfriend/wife/hooker/whatever in the passenger seat and I'm talkin smokin' hot! I tossed a wink at her which really pissed him off. Now I knew he was taking this thing personal. Light turned green, we both launched good. His poor clutch,as he sounded like he was around 4K when it engaged. Guess who pulls ahead over a full carlength......the old' Lex.......but he was quickly gaining...he hit second and just spun the tires. Who was still a good half car length ahead......old reliable, but after he spun it was obviously over. Luckily for me next traffic light was red so we came to a stop. Same thing all over again, but I had the courtesy to roll the windows (tinted) up so I could stare at the chick w/o him noticing. Light turned green, I launched better than him, he was spinning as he was going, hit second...he kept spinning ever so slightly at the top end his 1st and 2nd gears. He missed third- very loud, and who was ahead in the end. Yes, I won by being the better driver, but I still won none the less. Racing is racing, so winning by an inch or a mile, it doesn't matter and winning because the other driver was an idiot...priceless. I feel I owe all those wins to my TC. NOw I'm not bragging, I'm just sharing a joyful story. In no way am I saying my bone stock SC w/ a TC will beat a cobra, I just find it funny that I did.....................3 times in a row. I'm a lucky SOB, aren't I?

Last edited by Keith13b; 08-27-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 11:46 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: TQ reworking

Originally posted by rboorgu
has anyone had their stock convertor reworked for a higher stall vs buying a new from Precision or swith racing. Any ideas on the cost or performance.

Raj 92 sc400
I belive Swift sells the Precision torque convertor. Therefor whatever the price is you're getting the same thing.

Chris
Old 08-27-03, 12:06 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

see, i found the precision one...for around $500...but im not sure if i really want to do it. i dont want to cause other parts of the car to prematurely wear...

Quick Reply: Torque Converter - worth it?