Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For anybody experiencing white smoke at startup check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 09:41 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I see that 5th scale Baja with the weed eater engine hiding back there.

I just finished driving my 8ight-T.
Old 01-05-11, 10:26 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the plastic nipples broke off on mine so I didn't hook up any of my vac lines to it, it just sits there and I saw no change in how it runs or smoke.
Old 01-05-11, 11:15 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess the indicators that the valve might be bad are white smoke and loss of PS fluid? And if you aren't loosing PS fluid it might be valve seals?
Old 01-05-11, 12:37 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 5spd97
So I guess the indicators that the valve might be bad are white smoke and loss of PS fluid? And if you aren't loosing PS fluid it might be valve seals?
Yes to both of your questions. Pray it's just the valve. If your seals are toast there's not a lot you can do other then replace them (which is beyond my paygrade) or buy a new motor. I find GE's and UZ's all day long for $400-700 with accessories. Ask your mechanic what he's going to charge for Valve seals and you'll be quick to buy a new motor
Old 01-05-11, 08:59 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I see that 5th scale Baja with the weed eater engine hiding back there.

I just finished driving my 8ight-T.
Yeah I have a baja 5t and 5b I mess around with.
Old 01-06-11, 08:41 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Yes to both of your questions. Pray it's just the valve. If your seals are toast there's not a lot you can do other then replace them (which is beyond my paygrade) or buy a new motor. I find GE's and UZ's all day long for $400-700 with accessories. Ask your mechanic what he's going to charge for Valve seals and you'll be quick to buy a new motor
problem is youre not buying a new engine for 700 bucks youre buying a used engine. These cars are getting pretty old and finding an engine with less then 100k is hard so most likely the seals in your"new" used engine are going to be in the same condition. It makes little since at least you know for a fact that the seals have been replaced recently in the engine youre buying. If you cant afford your mechanic find somone that knows what theyre doing to do it on the side for you. I just did my seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump...etc etc. Alot of work but now its smoke free at cold start ups even with 230k miles on it. 2jz is a great engine if you take care of it and fix it, it will pur forever. Btw mine was going through the same amount of oil as your, any car youre going to buy for 6gs will need work if you want it perfect unless youre buying a new car you will be spending money to fix your old one.
Old 01-06-11, 10:23 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
problem is youre not buying a new engine for 700 bucks youre buying a used engine. These cars are getting pretty old and finding an engine with less then 100k is hard so most likely the seals in your"new" used engine are going to be in the same condition. It makes little since at least you know for a fact that the seals have been replaced recently in the engine youre buying. If you cant afford your mechanic find somone that knows what theyre doing to do it on the side for you. I just did my seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump...etc etc. Alot of work but now its smoke free at cold start ups even with 230k miles on it. 2jz is a great engine if you take care of it and fix it, it will pur forever. Btw mine was going through the same amount of oil as your, any car youre going to buy for 6gs will need work if you want it perfect unless youre buying a new car you will be spending money to fix your old one.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought my engine was the only one with burning oil issues.

My recommendation to buy a new (used) engine was for us daily driver guys who need their SC each and every business day. Since I can't simply jump into a beater and work on the SC in my spare time, my thought was to purchase a used 2JZGE, buy the maintenance parts, work on it in my free time over weeks or even months, then swap in the fresh (but used) condition motor over a weekend and be back on the road Monday morning. I know not everyone has $700 bucks to just throw out, but unfortunately this car is my only vehicle that provides my family with our mortgage, lights, cable, etc. I know the the flip side of this is that I could purchased a used beater for $700 and work on my current motor that gives me these issues, or even finance another car and have an awesome $400 payment for the next 60 months. I guess it's a crappy decision either way I look at it
Old 01-07-11, 06:00 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Thanks for the heads up. I thought my engine was the only one with burning oil issues.

My recommendation to buy a new (used) engine was for us daily driver guys who need their SC each and every business day. Since I can't simply jump into a beater and work on the SC in my spare time, my thought was to purchase a used 2JZGE, buy the maintenance parts, work on it in my free time over weeks or even months, then swap in the fresh (but used) condition motor over a weekend and be back on the road Monday morning. I know not everyone has $700 bucks to just throw out, but unfortunately this car is my only vehicle that provides my family with our mortgage, lights, cable, etc. I know the the flip side of this is that I could purchased a used beater for $700 and work on my current motor that gives me these issues, or even finance another car and have an awesome $400 payment for the next 60 months. I guess it's a crappy decision either way I look at it
Suck man, i know trust me i'm going trough it right now. Me and my wife have 3 cars nothing crazy but they are all in tip top shape. The way it is , one goes down one of us have a spare to drive while i fix the broke one. Most of the time all 3 are on the road ready to go but the 3rd one is a back up. Something to consider, personal loan maybe? buy a nice ES 4 door family car for 6-8 Gs and fix the SC. I dont know what else to tell you, i was facing the same issue about 4 months ago when i started redoing everything on mine. Sell the SC for around 4gs and buy what ? I def didnt want a car payment plus what am i getting for 6gs thats not going to need work.
Old 02-06-24, 11:34 AM
MetaPat
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Im about to do this today, im wondering if i need to put in the rubber stopper or can i do it without it? Also for the m14 bolt do i have to use a washer?