Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My COMPLETE sc400 Maintenance thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 08:41 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ thanks for the reply chinaman (heh, that's my roommates name), I'll check that next time I'm at the shop.
In the meantime looks like I'll be ordering a new tranny mount!
Old 02-09-11, 05:42 AM
ShibbySC4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had to replace my tranny mount, the only 2 places I could order it that wasn't online was Advance Auto and the Lexus dealership. Advance was 5 bucks cheaper, but they told me because it was a "special order" that it would take a week. The lexus dealership got it for me the next day. And I don't know it'll be the same for you but when I finally ordered it, it was listed as a 3rd motor mount. I paid somewhere around 80 bucks for mine and the difference was night and day afterwards.
Old 02-09-11, 11:50 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ShibbySC4
When I had to replace my tranny mount, the only 2 places I could order it that wasn't online was Advance Auto and the Lexus dealership. Advance was 5 bucks cheaper, but they told me because it was a "special order" that it would take a week. The lexus dealership got it for me the next day. And I don't know it'll be the same for you but when I finally ordered it, it was listed as a 3rd motor mount. I paid somewhere around 80 bucks for mine and the difference was night and day afterwards.
Local dealership has it for $124 so I think I'll just pick it up there. Btw they had it listed at the 'rear motor mount'.
Old 02-09-11, 03:34 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just some FYI. Megan makes a whole motor/tranny mount set, full polyurathane. I bought mine from a vendor here on CL. I think I paid 285-300. They are stiffer which transfers more hp/tq throught the drivetrain.
Old 02-09-11, 06:04 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

^ does that also result in more vibration transferring from the engine/tranny to the car?
Old 02-09-11, 06:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

sounds like your car is misfiring at low rpm's.

Mine does the same----the engine vibrates alot in beetween 1.5 -2 rpm's.

The dealer and my mechanic told me that giving the car a tune up and chaging the coils should fix it.

Ive been told by a few mechanics that coils could cause these vibrations.
Old 02-09-11, 08:22 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
sounds like your car is misfiring at low rpm's.

Mine does the same----the engine vibrates alot in beetween 1.5 -2 rpm's.

The dealer and my mechanic told me that giving the car a tune up and chaging the coils should fix it.

Ive been told by a few mechanics that coils could cause these vibrations.
I dunno, I told my mechanic to look over all that stuff when I got my plugs changed and he said everything was ok..
Old 02-09-11, 08:57 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get your carpc sorted out?
Old 02-09-11, 09:40 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Did you ever get your carpc sorted out?
Sorta. Had everything up and running, but the computer was actaully working very poorly due to the install process. It was very scattered and we had to do a lot of hard-shut downs while tweaking it. Resulted in bluescreen's and stuff..
So I decided to completely format the computer and start that aspect of the carPC from scratch. Unfortunately now I'm busy with work/school and have no time to finish re-installing all the programs/drivers/peripherals. I'm hoping to get it back up and running by the end of next week, and I'll make a nice thread about it.
Old 02-10-11, 09:03 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Great Thread SCenforcer! I want to do a nice tuneup on mine sometime soon as well. I think my mounts may need to be switched out soon enough as I find my car is a bit louder than I would expect it to be.
Old 05-10-11, 10:35 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Finally got my tranny mount in. Its going in today. I'll let you guys know how the ride feels afterwards.
Feeling a bit nervous that it wont fix anything and I'll still have that vibration..
Old 05-10-11, 03:19 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Just insalled it. I have two words for how the car feels now: LIKE BUTTER.

The new mount fixed my 2k rpm vibration, and totally smoothened out the whole ride. Off the line feels a lot smooth now as well. Not the mention the whole ride seems quieter. The old mount seemed like it had rotted away..
I definately recommend changing the mount out if you have any sort of virbation or road noise issue in your SC. Very easy to change it out as well, just follow the DIY posted somewhere on here.
Refer to the First Post to see all the issues it fixed.

Next up, cat CEL and new tires.

Last edited by scENFORCER; 05-10-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 06:04 PM
NjLexSc400
Driver School Candidate

sounds like something I should do, i have a weird noise and it doesnt feel like a lexus

how much did the total job including parts cost?
Old 05-10-11, 06:21 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NjLexSc400
sounds like something I should do, i have a weird noise and it doesnt feel like a lexus

how much did the total job including parts cost?
I got the part off eBay for $60 +$40 shipping (to Canada). Then the shop charged me $40 for the work which was their 30 minute minimum. It actually took them about 10 mins to change it out while they were changing my oil. So about $140.
But you can find that part for less, shipping will be a lot cheaper within the US, and if you have the tools you can change it out yourself no problem..
Old 05-10-11, 06:30 PM
NjLexSc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I got the part off eBay for $60 +$40 shipping (to Canada). Then the shop charged me $40 for the work which was their 30 minute minimum. It actually took them about 10 mins to change it out while they were changing my oil. So about $140.
But you can find that part for less, shipping will be a lot cheaper within the US, and if you have the tools you can change it out yourself no problem..
wow

payday cant come fast enough

thanks for the inspiration

All the mounts (engine and tranny) replaced for 140?

Quick Reply: My COMPLETE sc400 Maintenance thread