Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 08:43 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte

I have been looking around trying to find anobody run a BW Large frame Turbo on here but i couldn't find anything...
I was reading on SF where people were having issue clearing the compressor it's either touching the first runner or it's rubbing on the strut tower.
I know the BL manifold will not clear with these turbos. I was getting one made but decided against it, so i like to know what manifold are you running on your 2JZ it doesn't matter if it's GE or GTE.
BWS372/S374/S375/S376 these are the Turbo i would like to know about .
Thanks.
Old 01-07-11, 08:58 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen, you have better options with the GTE head. There are more manifolds made for that head to use with the larger T4 framed turbos.

Are you looking at getting the BW with the Race Cover option?
That cover is quite big, making installation even harder.
Old 01-07-11, 09:46 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Yes you right i didn't even think about that lol.

Yes 9.5" "race cover" i was told it makes an Xtra 100rwhp, BUT then i read somewhere where i doesn't make any difference , it's so funny.
I know the installationis going tbe harder but since it has the V band clamp it shouldn't be too bad.
I love the V band style Turbo,that's why i not going back to the 6 bolts style turbo PITA to install.

I wanna try an Ebay manifold first but im still not sure.
Old 01-07-11, 10:21 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

A friend of mine is using a S375 with the Race Cover on an eBay manifold, mocking it up on a GE fitted in an MKIII Supra. From what I could see, the turbo was clocked as far down as possible and still may not be enough to work. His current option is to custom weld a 90 elbow onto the turbo to fit between the frame rail and strut tower. I'm not sure how similar the SC and MKIII engine bays are, space wise.

While doing this he is also having someone redo #1 and #2 runners to fit a bit tighter to the head allowing room for the turbo. He started off with a ~$250 eBay manifold, now he is about $550 - $750 deep just to make the manifold work. At that cost you may be able to have one custom built for your needs depending on who does it for you.

It seems the eBay manifolds will be adequate for small to mid sized T4's, larger T4's are hit and miss.
Old 01-07-11, 11:31 AM
broda805
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a ebay manifold with a bw s362 i believe its the standard cover same as the s366 not sure about the 72+ i'll let you know when i test fit it

oh and race covers.... they add the bling factor that makes your ego dyno think your pulling harder...

just looked up the s372 it seems it uses a s400 series style comp cover so.. GL with finding the info you need

Last edited by broda805; 01-07-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-10-11, 08:59 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SChema
A friend of mine is using a S375 with the Race Cover on an eBay manifold, mocking it up on a GE fitted in an MKIII Supra. From what I could see, the turbo was clocked as far down as possible and still may not be enough to work. His current option is to custom weld a 90 elbow onto the turbo to fit between the frame rail and strut tower. I'm not sure how similar the SC and MKIII engine bays are, space wise.

While doing this he is also having someone redo #1 and #2 runners to fit a bit tighter to the head allowing room for the turbo. He started off with a ~$250 eBay manifold, now he is about $550 - $750 deep just to make the manifold work. At that cost you may be able to have one custom built for your needs depending on who does it for you.

It seems the eBay manifolds will be adequate for small to mid sized T4's, larger T4's are hit and miss.

Ok well i guess i will have the manifold made then i don't have no other choice.
How does your friend like the S375?
Old 01-10-11, 09:08 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by broda805
i have a ebay manifold with a bw s362 i believe its the standard cover same as the s366 not sure about the 72+ i'll let you know when i test fit it

oh and race covers.... they add the bling factor that makes your ego dyno think your pulling harder...

just looked up the s372 it seems it uses a s400 series style comp cover so.. GL with finding the info you need
Lol i don't settle for nothing bro, i get what i want. don't take it the wrong way but it has to work haha i will do what i have to do to make it work
S375 or S376.

I am not concern about the lag, i want the lag thats why i choosed this Turbo.
I have an S372 divided 1.00AR I was gonna use it with Sp QSV but it's too small for my power goal .It will be up for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 01-10-11, 09:40 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

slap a jet engine on the car!
Old 01-10-11, 09:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

ETS can probably make a manifold to suit your needs or Ben Freed can probably modify one to work. QSV and a BW turbo will be a lot of fun.
Old 01-10-11, 10:06 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quickGS300
How does your friend like the S375?
Currently the motor and has been dropped off to have the manifold finished up, other than that, it's been mocked up in the engine bay. Hopefully all goes well, the race cover does make the turbo look massive.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Lol i don't settle for nothing bro, i get what i want. don't take it the wrong way but it has to work haha i will do what i have to do to make it work
That's the spirit; if it doesn't work, make it work.
Old 01-10-11, 11:00 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLDriver
slap a jet engine on the car!
Haha with that Turbo it will sound like a jet.

Originally Posted by cherplex
ETS can probably make a manifold to suit your needs or Ben Freed can probably modify one to work. QSV and a BW turbo will be a lot of fun.
I just talked to Peter at ISP and i will be towing the car there in the next couple days, and he will be making me a FFIM.
I still don't know what cylinder head i will be using since the machine shop lost my GTE head.
He thinks i picked it up but he doesn't have any record that show me paying for the service.

Originally Posted by SChema
Currently the motor and has been dropped off to have the manifold finished up, other than that, it's been mocked up in the engine bay. Hopefully all goes well, the race cover does make the turbo look massive.

Please post some pics if you can thanks.

That's the spirit; if it doesn't work, make it work.
Old 01-11-11, 07:08 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Well after looking around on supraforums i found couple guys running BW bigger Turbos on gte, i haven't found anyone running them on their Ge.
A couple of people runningthem with 20mm spacer and it will clear the strut tower and the #1 runner.
I don't think it will work on the Ge with ebay manifold because those manifold were made to clear the distributor so the Turbo will be in the strut tower
look at these pics i borrowed from SF.
Attached Thumbnails Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte-img_2158-1.jpg   Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte-l_67014760cf34d6dba94a4ded110f4558.jpg   Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte-z028.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 07:20 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

here is another one.
Attached Thumbnails Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte-dsc00615.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The gte still has to clear the gte water neck so it might be close but the GE is def a little more angled.
worst case scenario.. Large Rubber Mallet > strut tower

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-11-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 10:27 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just buy an ebay manifold lke you said and have it modded. I know somebody out there owes you a favor for something, right? Just let them pay you back with welding .

Quick Reply: Bw turbo users!! What manifold are you running ge or gte