Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR CEL resistor fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 09:46 PM
SCthreehundeezy
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I want to know if the resistor mod fixes ALL CEL issues associated with an egr delete. I know the vacuum line routing gets a little complicated, but would incorrectly routing it also cause a CEL or will it just make the car run rough or whatever. I want to do the resistor mod first and take care of the CEL issue and then focus on the egr delete. I've seen so many vacuum line configurations and don't really have a clear idea of what to remove and what to not remove(i get messed up with the vsv's, some people say keep it others says dont). Do you think if I somehow manage to disconnect the temp sensor(without doing the egr delete yet) and slap the resistor on just to test if the CEL comes on is a valid test. Or will i have to do the whole vacuum routing and then pray the CEL doesn't come on for my DIY vacuum routing.
Old 10-23-23, 04:15 PM
GAsc300
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SCthreehundeezy
Also, I want to know if the resistor mod fixes ALL CEL issues associated with an egr delete. I know the vacuum line routing gets a little complicated, but would incorrectly routing it also cause a CEL or will it just make the car run rough or whatever. I want to do the resistor mod first and take care of the CEL issue and then focus on the egr delete. I've seen so many vacuum line configurations and don't really have a clear idea of what to remove and what to not remove(i get messed up with the vsv's, some people say keep it others says dont). Do you think if I somehow manage to disconnect the temp sensor(without doing the egr delete yet) and slap the resistor on just to test if the CEL comes on is a valid test. Or will i have to do the whole vacuum routing and then pray the CEL doesn't come on for my DIY vacuum routing.
hey there SCthreehundeezy,

1. In that photo I had attached above, the plastic clip connects to another connector at firewall and the screw looking end is the sensor that goes to egr pipe. The cel gets triggered from the sensor end and that’s where you cut and replace with resistor. I had first deleted my egr by making and installing a block off plate. Then, many months later I added the resistor to stop the cel. I had added the block off plate after taking apart and cleaning the various Egr components without solving my cel problem.

2. you ask what happens if you unscrew the egr sensor piece and add resistor to this line even if egr is left intact. If you do resistor fix correctly it should solve the egr cel code, yes. You could look up the complete list of odb 1 codes but I don’t think there are other egr codes that exist that could get triggered. My car is 1993 so it has the more limited list of possible cel codes vs SCs that have odb2.

If you do the resistor fix and leave egr system intact, I’d plug that sensor screw back in to egr pipe after cutting it off in as it might create a vacuum leak there. In the future, when you delete your egr, if you get the vacuum line rerouting messed up you’ll have a vacuum leak. How troublesome this is depends on how big it is.

hope this makes sense