Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

injector issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 03:49 AM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector issues

number six injector not working, not recieving singal to wires. i replaced injector, ignitor chip, distributor and ecu but cant fig out why num six inj not getting signal can someone please help?
Old 01-09-11, 05:59 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you determine its not getting a pulse? Does the connector have 12v on both pins with the key on and its just not getting the pulse signal, or does it have power at all?
Old 01-09-11, 12:53 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

it doesnt get a 12 volt at all now. i had swapped out the ecu and it ran good for about a min and i went to pull the num 6 injector plug to verify if it was working and idle dropped so i fig it was good then plugged it back in engine was smooth. then i turn my back and out of nowhere it started the choking again i wnet back to pull the inj num 6 plug and now nothing. the was running fine i was driving home from work one day and out of nowhere the car ran really ruff and ever sincei been trying to get this num six inj running.
Old 01-09-11, 01:38 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

So neither side of the injector gets 12v, but the other injectors get 12v on both sides?
Old 01-09-11, 03:19 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

correct! i ll double check tonite. Any possibilites of what it could be? the use to run really great i even had it on boost 10lbs and safc2 hooked up ran with no problems, i took it off and sold safc2 and sure all wires connected correctly and ran nomal as it should and its been months with no issues and i was just driving home from work then it started bogging and choking. i also did a 5 speed swap, and it has traction control computer still hooked up, always ran fine with no issues. i checked the wiring harness last night for any bad wires or burnt ones but everything was fine. i checked alldata and it shows a groung wire running into the ecu i think but everything looks ok, its really buggin.
Old 01-09-11, 05:28 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Interesting. Have you checked the resistance on the non-functioning injector? I'm not sure what it should be, but maybe the injector itself is bad and is cooking that particular driver circuit.
Old 01-09-11, 05:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Not trying to dumb this whole process down, as you seem to know what you are doing... With that said, you are checking for 12v between each pin in the injector plug to ground right? If you put the meter across both pins, you will get a 0 reading provided they both have 12v. Again, you probably knew this, but I was just covering the small stuff.
Old 01-09-11, 06:15 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

yes sir that is how i tested it i ll check the ohm reading next, there all suppose to be nearly the same so if its diff i should know, i just replaced that injector too but it was sitting i asume it could be bad, and another thing is its smoking like crazy the fuel is not burning properly but i dont think one cylinder should do it, and if its not giving me that 12 volts what could that mean? and its allgood man i really appreciate your feed back!
Old 01-10-11, 06:22 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Well, injector 6 is fed from the main relay along with injectors 5, 4, and 2. It seems very unlikely that only 6 would lose 12v from the main relay without effecting the others, but if all 4 were dead, there is no way the car would run.

The other thing that may be happening is that #6 is stuck open, which would dump the fuel like you are talking about.
Old 01-12-11, 03:22 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

ok so i double checked and and only one side of the pin for the injector is giving me 12 volts the other side gives me a weird reading of 8 volts then drops to like 3 or 4 what could it be?
Old 01-12-11, 04:02 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Which side is 12v? What color wire? The low voltage on the one side would probably be enough to open the injector, especially once its around 3v. What did the injector ohm out to?

First you need to verify whether the fluctuation is on the main power side, or the ecu side.

If its the ecu side, I would pull the ecu and ohm that injector wire out all the way to the ecu to verify it's good, and then visually check the corresponding ecu pin and the female connector end to make sure its a good solid connection once the ecu is plugged in.

If its the other side, you may have to start peeling the harness back to where you can trace the injector back to where it splices with the main feed. In a pinch, you could jump a new supply wire from pretty much any fused 12v source for testing purposes.

Then check for 12v on both sides.
Old 01-13-11, 06:57 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

ok so all my injectors are getting a reading of between 14 and 15 ohms just about .5 difference between all of them and its the wire on the left side its the darker wire some of them has a colored line running thru it thas getting the 12v, do you know it that is the main or ecu side? i ll ohm the actually wire once i find the pin outs
Old 01-14-11, 04:46 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you determined if there is a short in number 6?

There could be a problem with the wire, in the harness. That's what it sound like to me.
Old 01-14-11, 07:11 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

The main power side should be a black wire with an orange stripe. Mine looked almost red as opposed to orange, but anywho... The #6 ecu side wire should be lavender with a red stripe. So it sounds like your main feed is fine, and you have an issue on the ecu side feed. Start ohming that wire out and checking its connections physically. The pin it will go to on the ecu is pin 15 on the big double plug.
Old 02-26-11, 08:21 PM
diesel4368
Driver School Candidate

How about I had my sc buddy stop with his sc and I swap ecu and it ran like a champ I opened mines up and a capacitor was fried I was like wtf I appreciate all the info

Quick Reply: injector issues