Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another question about torque converter upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02 | 02:52 PM
DaveH
Rookie

Hey Keith, did you happen to take any pics of the PI converter? I wasn't aware that they were making a custom converter..... I thought all that was available was modified stockers. What did the converter cost you (if you don't mind).

Originally posted by Keith13b
When I got my PI converter (the one that Swift sells) It was considerably more heavy duty than the factory unit- quite obvious just by looking at it. Even the Lexus tech said that he had never seen such a well built TC (at least it made me feel good). The PI unit was smaller though. Reguardless of aftermarket or just modding the original; either way, just get it done.
Old 09-13-02 | 05:24 PM
Keith13b
Racer

What do you mean custom converter? They sell them over the counter for Lexus applications. I didn't take any pics, but their are pics at both precisionindustries.com and SwiftRacing.com. It's a cute lil' purple TC- Just glad its hidden! They cost $800-900 most places.
Old 09-13-02 | 05:30 PM
DaveH
Rookie

Custom as in "not a modified stock converter". I've been trying to get them to make a *custom* converter for my NA-T Supra for some time without and luck.

****edit**** Also, what stall did you get? And what RPM does the converter actually stall to when powerbraking? Thks.

Last edited by DaveH; 09-13-02 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-16-02 | 09:34 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by DaveH
Custom as in "not a modified stock converter". I've been trying to get them to make a *custom* converter for my NA-T Supra for some time without and luck.

****edit**** Also, what stall did you get? And what RPM does the converter actually stall to when powerbraking? Thks.
I got a 3500 stall, and its pretty much on the money. The rear end starts to slide to the right, right at 3500. I guess that means my front tires and brakes are actually doing a good job.

Remember all vehicles are different,and you won't always get exactly what it says as far as stall (they should advertise it as a range, but they don't)

I (mainly for the warrenty) think the prebuilt units are better, but a re-man performance TC is probably just as good. The PI unit is just built strong and its obvious!

The flash stall is clear into the 2K range, but psychologically, its hard for me to punch it and not watch where I'm going. Sounds weird, but its like sneezing and trying not to blink - its just impossible!

I love the thing, and have never seen a performance increase so noticable than this TC.

I'd contact Level 10 and see what they can do for you. I have heard others from the supra forums complaing about them, but everyone I know, loves them. They have something for almost every car- if not, they will make it.

Good luck,

Keith
Old 09-29-02 | 08:19 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

What's level 10's website? My car's about 10-15 hp higher in the low RPM ranges than stock.. I'm wondering if I should use a different stall. You have an SC400 right keith? Do they know what stall I should get when I call them?
Old 09-30-02 | 10:20 AM
Keith13b
Racer

If your a couple of horses higher, I'd get the 3200 stall.

If not, then you'd just be spinnig your tires.
Old 10-04-02 | 11:12 AM
Lvangundy

What if your car used to be able to power brake and sit there and spin the tires and make them chirp off the line just by flooring it, but now it doensn't?

I think I did too much burning out and messed up my stock T/C.
Old 10-05-02 | 05:55 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

FYI: I will have my custom converter installed in the next two weeks. I will post once it is in. I am supposed to get around a 600-800 rpm stall increase. This is for a SC300 by the way. There is no PI TC for the SC300 despite what their site says.
Old 10-05-02 | 12:41 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Our '01 4runner w/3.4V6 stalls at around 1900rpm,my first choice would be one of those,if it fits of course.
I pretty much dislike aftermarket parts,by the way,especially clutches,and other critical driveline parts.
Old 10-05-02 | 03:05 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

A stock SC stalls higher than that.......
Old 10-05-02 | 07:27 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Ok,but whatever point the total lock-up is,it remains 4-500rpm higher in that vehicle than in my SC,which seems to be 12-1400rpm,to me anyhow.I guess I just look at the tach as the surge of power begins to move the vehicle.
I'm not going to be wasting a penny on that turd of an auto,it's going to be a t-56(6speed),as soon as I can offload this other vehicle to free up some fun$ for a project,and a beater for the winter.
Old 10-05-02 | 09:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SCV8, stock stall should be much higher than that, it's actually pretty high in these cars to begin with, about 2200rpm...
Old 10-06-02 | 12:48 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I'll check it out some more,that 4runner sure lurches around when you take off from a dead stop,maybe cam timing,or wierd throttle linkeage to make it feel like that then.
I remember my first experience driving a Mercedes,noticing how high the stall was @around 2k.
Old 10-06-02 | 02:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCV8
I'll check it out some more,that 4runner sure lurches around when you take off from a dead stop,maybe cam timing,or wierd throttle linkeage to make it feel like that then.
I remember my first experience driving a Mercedes,noticing how high the stall was @around 2k.
I agree, my GF's mother has a 4Runner, converted her family over from Chevy . And that's also true about the Benzes, we were big MB ppl before switching to Lexus, have had several, they stall high and shift hard, you'll notice that even an '86 300E will chirp 'em going into second gear if you gate the auto yourself...
Old 10-06-02 | 09:03 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Don't forget that SUVs are tuned for low end torque. They should have more immediate power at the low end since our vehicles are tuned for high rpm performance. I have driven many trucks including the Tundra. This truck is pretty peppy off the line.

Quick Reply: Another question about torque converter upgrades