Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headgasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-02, 01:36 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the way to do it as prescribed by SC300T:

take 2 2jz-gte headgaskets

each comes in a thick-thin-thick 3-piece arrangement
stacking two on top of one another won't work; a thick portion won't bond to another thick gasket

this is the arrangement:
thick-thin-thick-thin-thick

toss the extra thick and you have a 8.5:1 compression and enough headgasket for 1000hp

don't waste your money on other headgaskets; this will do just fine; there's a reason SupraTT guys don't upgrade their headgaskets unless they make over 1000hp or so

Last edited by Bean; 08-23-02 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-23-02, 09:46 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bean..your goin on info that some one thinks will work instead of spending a little extra cash to get a gasket that has been used on my motor for 2 years.....has been used on countless other cars for years and have NO issues...i know your all about figuring out how to do things yourself and save a penny here and there......but most of the time its worth spending an extra dollar or 2 to have the professional parts so you dont have to go replacing them a 2nd time.......especially something as important as a head gasket...when for $350 you have a product with no worries and lower compression...not " i think this will work"...or "so and so told me this and i think it is this.".....
i know you might not agree but others should se my point.....Jeff
Old 08-23-02, 12:34 PM
Mkiv94tt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up Jeffrey? Looks like people aren't listening or don't want to Head your "Proven Advice" Again ... Oh well, all you can do is warn them.... Like i said, i'm sure it will probably works!!! But i also know people who have done it and regret it :eek: .... and NOW are paying the consequences and buying a new motor along with the Toyomoto Gasket ....

Oops maybe not just joined but very silent (5 posts).

I started off as an original member on www.mkiv.com and then jumped to supraforums.com and Clublexus.com.... I spent all of my time on supraforums though and forgot about my account here... I have lurked around in the past, however, i just now decided to jump in and Chime in ....

Hermosa,
The kit is complete... we are waiting on about 3 fittings to complete the kit... Not to mention that by closing this week, we have set ourselfs back... Not to worry, it will be shipping out shortly.... Regards

DAN

PS.... if we have any Manifolds that come in and are not attatched to a turbo kit, i will let everyone know....
Old 08-23-02, 12:55 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mkiv94tt

Hermosa,
The kit is complete... we are waiting on about 3 fittings to complete the kit... Not to mention that by closing this week, we have set ourselfs back... Not to worry, it will be shipping out shortly.... Regards

DAN
THANKS!!!

Need boost. Soon.
Old 08-25-02, 10:54 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
bean..your goin on info that some one thinks will work instead of spending a little extra cash to get a gasket that has been used on my motor for 2 years.....has been used on countless other cars for years and have NO issues...i know your all about figuring out how to do things yourself and save a penny here and there......but most of the time its worth spending an extra dollar or 2 to have the professional parts so you dont have to go replacing them a 2nd time.......especially something as important as a head gasket...when for $350 you have a product with no worries and lower compression...not " i think this will work"...or "so and so told me this and i think it is this.".....
i know you might not agree but others should se my point.....Jeff
what you said may be considered true IF there was no fact... but seeing as how SCOTT posted this info on supraforums AND I've read TONS of other articles on turboing N/A Supras; this method DOES work and has been PROVEN with compression tests

oh and Toyomoto doesn't make a headgasket its either a HKS or Ideal unit (fmax uses ideal head gasket)
so its basically "Toyomoto's headgasket that they buy and then mark up the price and sell to you"
Old 08-26-02, 12:54 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

OK....the supra TT headgasket is NOT a 3 layer unit, it is a 4 layer unit, and it damn sure isn't Thick-Thin-Thick, it's Thin-copper, Thick-alloy, thin-alloy, thin-copper.

Would I buy two Supra HG and try to layer them when a proven Headgasket is available from Toyomoto to save $100? No way in hell. IMHO, that would be extremely stupid. There's one thing to be frugal, but do a cost-benefit analysis of risking something like that, and it will just look silly.

On another note, here's a good word of advice for all those out there looking for tech info. Be careful what you read on the internet. I always see humorous postings from people that "have heard this is how it can be done" and are trying to goodheartedly give out tech advice to help someone, but really have no idea what they are talking about, rather are often going on info that may have once been valid from the original source, but now has been bastardized into completely misleading info, and is now doing more harm than good.

Take advice from those that have been there, done that, for they are truly the only reliable sources.
Old 08-26-02, 10:45 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa guys, hold on....

1st of all Bean, I have NOT done this yet, the head may not be permanently on the car yet.

2nd I'm just forwarding SP infomation in a phone call.

Clint, I agree with part of that... To save $100, when a proven source is available? I wouldn't either. There is too much downside potential. If I remember the two Supra TT gaskets would cost around $250.

I got this info from Larry at SP---- he's one of the top five Supra tuners in the country. Don't kill the messenger, I'm just forwarding the contents of my phone call with Larry.

As far as doing this myself, (Bean) no I haven't done this yet, the head has just been re-acquainted with the block undergoing compression testing to figure out where we stand on the project.

To anyone in doubt of any of this, call Larry yourself, perhaps he's forwarding bad advice, but why? There is no profit for him. Perhaps he's under the assumption that with a T60, the cylinder pressures aren't high enough to stress this setup.
Old 08-27-02, 09:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

No I never said you did this I'm just saying I read it from you, and another source, and have seen compression test results from people who actually DID do it

Originally posted by SC300T
Whoa guys, hold on....

1st of all Bean, I have NOT done this yet, the head may not be permanently on the car yet.

2nd I'm just forwarding SP infomation in a phone call.

Clint, I agree with part of that... To save $100, when a proven source is available? I wouldn't either. There is too much downside potential. If I remember the two Supra TT gaskets would cost around $250.

I got this info from Larry at SP---- he's one of the top five Supra tuners in the country. Don't kill the messenger, I'm just forwarding the contents of my phone call with Larry.

As far as doing this myself, (Bean) no I haven't done this yet, the head has just been re-acquainted with the block undergoing compression testing to figure out where we stand on the project.

To anyone in doubt of any of this, call Larry yourself, perhaps he's forwarding bad advice, but why? There is no profit for him. Perhaps he's under the assumption that with a T60, the cylinder pressures aren't high enough to stress this setup.