Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 05:59 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Na-t
NEW TT HG $120
New Turbo $700
NEW Manifold $150
WG $300
BOV $100
BINBOil feed and return $100
BINBFMIC with piping $300
BNIB ARP head studs if you choose to $120
Aristo ECU $150
Injetcors $150 RX7 550cc
Map sensor and AIT sensor $130
3" DP $80 brand new
IS300 Ignitor $50
Coils $100
AEM WB $150 used
MBC $50
SAFC if you don't wanna run stock Aristo boost $150
So for $3k i can have 100% reliable na-t setup without going EMS and it will make more power than your stock gte at this point all i need is a trans.
I can delete the distributor and not worry about my Turbo not clearing the cap.
I can do EMS for extra $1100 - aristo ECu -map and AIT sensor.
this is a COP setup running on an aristo ecu with safc corrct ???? How did you wire that up and What map and ait sensor did u use pm me on this bro
Old 01-19-11, 06:02 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I don't think the speed cut thing for the JDM is true. I did the swap and Ive well exceeded 115 lol. JDM motor with maintenance is the way to go for a swap, gotta love the map sensor.

As far as NA-T v.s GTE stock. Id say the GTE will win. Might make a difference because I'm a 99 When I was Na-T at 12lbs it was quick. The GTE at 12lbs kills it. I could notice a BIG difference.

Your taking an Engine/ecu that came boosted from the factory the ecu knows how to compensate well for different situations the engine goes through when needed.

Just thought I'd ad
Old 01-19-11, 06:24 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and I know someone was talking about me not know that the 1jz I capable of 700rwhp, since he knew it had potential why didn't he get one instead he went 2jzgte,,
You talkin to me? I was actually looking for a 1jz, but nobody had one. JHot had their last Aristo swap up for sale and I bought it since it was available and JHot was trustworthy. I originally wanted the 1jz since I knew the wiring would be easier and that the r154 would have more capacity than the W58 I ended up with by going Aristo.

If I do another swap it will be supra gte/getrag combo or a 1jz/r154 combo. Transmissions are the weak link with these motors as we all know, unless you go getrag.

With that said, it is almost a shame to go gte/getrag since I dont want more than around 450whp. I am not willing to drive a car(long term) with a puck style clutch or a super heavy pressure plate.

So, in the end, the 1jz would be perfect for me, but I'll keep the gte since its already in the car
Old 01-19-11, 06:55 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver
This all over again???? can't we just say "Don't put money into car parts. Buy beer... "
Yep, there was some good content in the other thread w/ no relevance to
the OP's original Q & was not helping him. Rather than spending hours moving
posts, lets start fresh here.

Poop talk will be deleted & warned.
Old 01-19-11, 07:21 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Ok I have a little secret for a stock block in the jz familiy it is the **** but I know a company that uses only the 2jzge block because there is no benifit to having a tt block to a ge block. The differents between the tt and ge is oil skirts, head flow and pistons. Its known that if you punch the tt block .020 over you have ge block because the oil squirts are gone. The ge head flow more than a tt head just because the fact it is a na. The throttle body design of the ge is better than the tt just because of the air flow distrubution between chambers. The tt use of pump gas at high boost pressure is only because of lower compression piston. The ge has high compression piston and the tt doesn't. In a nut shell the whole family is great but pricing is the concern. There are people that call the aristo motor junk but all it is waterdown supra tt motor only by turbo material and size. The only benifit for having a tt motor or the ge is the oil squirts and low compression pistons. And the ge blocks hold a higher oil pressure than the tt block. Thats why the tt has a higher pressure oil pump. The 1jz is a awesome motor as well
Old 01-19-11, 07:26 PM
Klaus
Instructor

^Drunk? LOL
Old 01-19-11, 07:31 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
A GE headgasket only gets you a BHG. No other benefit . A 9psi GE with an stock headgasket is capped on its pump gas boost. The TT headgasket was an ADVANTAGE because he was able to run 15psi safely on pump. A Greddy speed cut controller (which BOTH cars had) takes care of the top speed issues. That's hardly a "rigged" way of running it either, that's a pretty accepted method. I'll give you the USDM argument because of the cams and fuel, but the JDM 2js are still more potent out of the box than an xspower na-t. Oh, for reference what do you drive? Have you done any of these swaps?
i understand the limits of the hg, and i didnt say the speed cut controller was rigged..i said a module ie ..a speed cut controller..OR some rigged way(some ppl mention disconnecting speed sensor to bypass)...

and go ahead..dyno a stock 2jzgte...
i own an sc300...2jzge no turbo..
however i research about as much as possible..so yea i dont own a turbo'd supra or na-t yet..however i can put 2 and 2 together..
i can read the gear ratios of a w58 and v160/161...a shorter gear ratio = faster acceleration.
i can also read a stock 2jzgte dyno with fmic..as well as i can a na-t dyno at 9psi with stock fuel/hg..

now what i dont understand is how you think that comparing apples to oranges is telling me im incorrect?...you raced a 2jzgte 6spd vs a na-t 5spd....probably different rear end as well?
so how is that a fair comparison..its not..
so telling me just cause i dont "own" either..doesnt mean i cant figure out what would be faster..on top of that you have two different people driving the car..who jumped first? etc..way to many variables to say the way you "test" to see is faster as being an acceptable answer..
so please tell me HOW a stock 2jzgte that puts out approx 275whp 270tq..is faster then a 2jzge that puts out 300whp/330tq(thats using odyownage stock fuel stock comp xspower untuned at 8psi)
now if EVERYTHING else is the same...how can the 2jzgte be faster?

vid of an sc300 with stock 2jzgte dyno
http://videos.***************/catego...6f01298061.htm

odyownage dyno
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...s-un-tuned-etc.
Old 01-19-11, 07:39 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Meh I enjoy my 1.5JZ!
agreed. plus the head looks cool.
Old 01-19-11, 08:53 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by imDementeD
i understand the limits of the hg, and i didnt say the speed cut controller was rigged..i said a module ie ..a speed cut controller..OR some rigged way(some ppl mention disconnecting speed sensor to bypass)...

and go ahead..dyno a stock 2jzgte...
i own an sc300...2jzge no turbo..
however i research about as much as possible..so yea i dont own a turbo'd supra or na-t yet..however i can put 2 and 2 together..
i can read the gear ratios of a w58 and v160/161...a shorter gear ratio = faster acceleration.
i can also read a stock 2jzgte dyno with fmic..as well as i can a na-t dyno at 9psi with stock fuel/hg..

now what i dont understand is how you think that comparing apples to oranges is telling me im incorrect?...you raced a 2jzgte 6spd vs a na-t 5spd....probably different rear end as well?
so how is that a fair comparison..its not..
so telling me just cause i dont "own" either..doesnt mean i cant figure out what would be faster..on top of that you have two different people driving the car..who jumped first? etc..way to many variables to say the way you "test" to see is faster as being an acceptable answer..
so please tell me HOW a stock 2jzgte that puts out approx 275whp 270tq..is faster then a 2jzge that puts out 300whp/330tq(thats using odyownage stock fuel stock comp xspower untuned at 8psi)
now if EVERYTHING else is the same...how can the 2jzgte be faster?

vid of an sc300 with stock 2jzgte dyno
http://videos.***************/catego...6f01298061.htm

odyownage dyno
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...s-un-tuned-etc.
First, I definitely wanted to clarify that in asking you what you drive/have done I wasn't trying to play the "you don't own it so you don't know it" card . Just trying to understand your own frame of reference.

Now, as for a "stock" 2jz-gte. If you're doing anything involving boost you're going to install a boost controller aren't you? They're dirt cheap, why wouldn't you? If you're swapping anything turbo in you're going to need a front mount right? Any swap you're not going to be dealing with a crappy factory downpipe correct? Also a lot of the motors you buy won't have the downpipe. So bringing back into as close to apples to apples comparison of "mods" the GTE in order to be apple to apples with a 2jz na-t must be assumed to be BPU. Is that fair? Also shorter gear ratios on a turbo car don't necessarily help in straight line acceleration only when we're dealing with curves and having to stay in a power band. The rear ends were both torsen LSDs.

So the only fair comparison in a GTE swap is comparing BPU because there really is no such thing as a "stock" swap. A basic BPU 2j-gte will put down 370-400whp through a manual. And yes, xs power swaps will put down about 300-330whp.
Old 01-20-11, 04:13 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
agreed. plus the head looks cool.
what makes it look cool I didn't get it or you meant the intake looks cool.

klaus my na-t was not xs power and I would love to run any gte with the same setup.
show me one gte that make 476 rwhp and 470 rwtq at 14 psi. Never happened in the gte world.
with 9.8 cr I ran 21 safely with aem and with stock cr people made over 430 rwhp on ethanol couldn't make anymore because he running out injectors.
I don't believe everthing I ready here till I try it myself I was told the maximum box on pump with tt hg was 17 I ran 21 no problem.

for me gte was not an option because both will reach their max around 800-900 rwhp anything over that you are on borrow time but guess what some got lucky and made 1100 rwhp it the bone stock block.if the gte can do it my na will do it.

funny thing is we have more blown gte on stock twins lol look on sf even here.
more 1.5jz why because majority blew the botton and just do the cheap fix the famous na block lol.
how many of use blew there 1jz block and did buy a gte block for replacement 1jz or 2jzgte.

kevin you use the stock aristo map and ait sensor then use the 7m cps to pick the cam and crank signal you will have all the room to run whatever size turbo you want, no need for tt oil pump nor cam sensors bungs welded in the head.
you must be manual.
Old 01-20-11, 04:50 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

id like to see any gte making 600 rwhp on less then 20 psi on pump gas on a t67.. theres a dyno thread on supra forums showing hp and respective boost pressures
Old 01-20-11, 08:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
id like to see any gte making 600 rwhp on less then 20 psi on pump gas on a t67.. theres a dyno thread on supra forums showing hp and respective boost pressures
Great point and I've seen that thread on SF. If I had to do it all over again NA-T would have been my choice start small and build from there. Between all swaps (1j/2j) and money spent on singles for both setups etc... I could have had a potent NA-T setup by now.
Old 01-20-11, 08:33 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
First, I definitely wanted to clarify that in asking you what you drive/have done I wasn't trying to play the "you don't own it so you don't know it" card . Just trying to understand your own frame of reference.

Now, as for a "stock" 2jz-gte. If you're doing anything involving boost you're going to install a boost controller aren't you? They're dirt cheap, why wouldn't you? If you're swapping anything turbo in you're going to need a front mount right? Any swap you're not going to be dealing with a crappy factory downpipe correct? Also a lot of the motors you buy won't have the downpipe. So bringing back into as close to apples to apples comparison of "mods" the GTE in order to be apple to apples with a 2jz na-t must be assumed to be BPU. Is that fair? Also shorter gear ratios on a turbo car don't necessarily help in straight line acceleration only when we're dealing with curves and having to stay in a power band. The rear ends were both torsen LSDs.

So the only fair comparison in a GTE swap is comparing BPU because there really is no such thing as a "stock" swap. A basic BPU 2j-gte will put down 370-400whp through a manual. And yes, xs power swaps will put down about 300-330whp.
i know what most people will do, i was just trying to share that other things had to be done to a gte to make it even comparable to a ge right off the bat.

overall its still preference and how you want to spend your money. personally the motor is just as capable as the gte and you already have it..instead of spending the 1800 for the motor put that toward an ems and a nice turbo then go from there..
Old 01-20-11, 08:37 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Great point and I've seen that thread on SF. If I had to do it all over again NA-T would have been my choice start small and build from there. Between all swaps (1j/2j) and money spent on singles for both setups etc... I could have had a potent NA-T setup by now.

Plex you wanna trade for my na-t? and yes you could have by now you were boosted since 04 right?
Old 01-20-11, 08:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Plex you wanna trade for my na-t? and yes you could have by now you were boosted since 04 right?
Boosted since 06, 04-06 no motor mods and car was daily. Yea I sit there and think how sick of a na-t setup I would have had,but I'm good with the GTE now ha ha.

Quick Reply: The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread