Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 03:24 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
BTW Lexforlife I have to point out- you have a VERY impressive Na-T build, one that I think is in the upper percentile of NA-ts. I would have to argue that if you're starting with a build such as yours in mind, sure NA-T makes sense but I think that's in a different price range than what's being discussed here. There's three options that can be done within $1000 of each other:

BPU 1jz,
BPU 2jz,
XSPower Na-t 2j.

So given those three, now what?

thx for the comps bro

however , look at the simple parts req to make a na-t potent

there are several constants you need to keep in mind that would apply to gte or na-t so if you remove the obvious ( bov , wastegate,intercooler, injectors,downpipe/midpipe ,r154 or v160 etc etc) what really am i left with

aem and tuning
dli for better spark
cams
springs and retainers in head
arp and headgasket change
turbo manny
the ffim ($700) is optional for stock y will make power just the same

i see too many people make comparisons including the constants and not really look at it from the right perspective

Last edited by lexforlife; 01-21-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-21-11, 04:49 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a lot of us don't respect na-t why because a lot of guys don't do it right so everyone thinks it some hacked up engine and a cheap a$$ turbo, safc, and no wideband gauge.

klaus hey please no offense here bro we are just debating about these the engines, sometimes I like to give the gte guys a lot of hard time lol nothing serious though .

soon it won't be no gte guy here they will sell their swaps and join the club na-t haha you guys know am right .
Old 01-21-11, 05:15 PM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

high compression + boost = fun on the streets. add e85 and your golden with the ge on stock compression.
Old 01-21-11, 06:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

drive by wire doesn't really change much if you are using the stock ecu. It works quite well and if you need a larger throttle body you can use one from a tundra or the ls430 they are drive by wire and some of them will even plug in to the harness. if you want to use another ecu just ditch the maf and install a regular throttle body onto it. there are options for standalones that can control vvti, its not easy or straightforward but there are ways to do it.
Old 01-21-11, 06:30 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

toyomoto I think makes a patch harness that will allow you to run aem 1100 box with the 2jzgte vvti and the vvti will work fine I have seen it on couple ISs .
I would just do the qsv on my non vvti engine before I go thru all that trouble getting a patch harness.
I know someone on here that got the vvti to work with his AEM but he said he had to hack into to box its a no no for me.

Some other people use the aem for an acura cl box # 1050 and you just rewire the whole thing that's fun if you ask me.

Or use the aem ems as a piggyback and let the stock ecu control the vvti .
Old 01-21-11, 08:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06bluerex
high compression + boost = fun on the streets. add e85 and your golden with the ge on stock compression.
thats another undiscussed na-t option. when I live near an e85 pump I plan to try one of these setups out. running e85 makes it even cheaper to na-t and not to mention much more fun with high compression.
Old 01-22-11, 08:23 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
a lot of us don't respect na-t why because a lot of guys don't do it right so everyone thinks it some hacked up engine and a cheap a$$ turbo, safc, and no wideband gauge.

klaus hey please no offense here bro we are just debating about these the engines, sometimes I like to give the gte guys a lot of hard time lol nothing serious though .

soon it won't be no gte guy here they will sell their swaps and join the club na-t haha you guys know am right .
Oh yeah no offense taken at all, I hope I didn't imply otherwise? I'm always up for a healthy debate . I'll tell you what, the day I pull my GTE out go to NA-T i'll ship my GTE to you free of charge because I'll have clearly lost my mind
Old 01-23-11, 11:20 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Oh yeah no offense taken at all, I hope I didn't imply otherwise? I'm always up for a healthy debate . I'll tell you what, the day I pull my GTE out go to NA-T i'll ship my GTE to you free of charge because I'll have clearly lost my mind
haha u got me on this one lol, that was too funny man.
Old 01-24-11, 03:06 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not a turbo 1UZ? V8, tons of torque, nice powerband and a proven 530rwhp in stock form + T88. Nowadays everyone gets a 2jz and make big hp numbers, let´s be original!
Old 01-24-11, 04:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
Why not a turbo 1UZ? V8, tons of torque, nice powerband and a proven 530rwhp in stock form + T88. Nowadays everyone gets a 2jz and make big hp numbers, let´s be original!
"The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread"
it is already hard enough to debate between these 3 choices.
Old 01-24-11, 11:18 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No ses boludo

It's all about NA-T 2J forget those 1UZ & LS V8s, v10s' V12 cummings motors, volvo swaps, vespa motor swaps, Yugo swaps, dewoo swaps, and Hyunday tiburon swaps.......

JK
Old 01-25-11, 08:07 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jajaja! You make me laugh! I thought NA-T included the 1UZ. It´s in my car, it´s lexus and it´s a doable swap. Btw, I would like to do a Daewoo swap some day, hahaha!
Old 01-25-11, 08:19 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jajaja! You make me laugh! I thought NA-T included the 1UZ. It´s in my car, it´s lexus and it´s a doable swap. Btw, I would like to do a Daewoo swap some day, hahaha!
I've heard that the Daewoo engines just don't have the after-market support of the 2jz though.
Old 01-26-11, 06:17 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I've heard that the Daewoo engines just don't have the after-market support of the 2jz though.
naw dog, you heard of the type r swaps they're doing these days?

Old 01-26-11, 07:54 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as painful as these debates are for some to read, I always learn a little something something.

Quick Reply: The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread