Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 w/ manual tranny swap vs sc400 with 2jz motor swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 02:38 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 w/ manual tranny swap vs sc400 with 2jz motor swap?

which would be a better choice? swapping the motor or just doing a tranny swap? seeing how i like the v8 motor but would like a manual transmission.
Old 01-19-11, 03:36 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about putting in a 2jz with no turbos then heeeellll no. Manual swap the V8.
Old 01-19-11, 03:51 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

thank you(: i just got my sc yesterday. so im thinking about what to do with my money. i really wish 400's came manual. so much less hassle.
Old 01-19-11, 04:33 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^trust me, most everyone on this forum with a sc400 thinks the same but for some reason even people with money dont swap one in, instead they buy $5000 rims with $3000 suspension haha. but they got like an isf in their driveway too.

do you know where to find the manual swap for the sc400? if not!

for conversion
http://www.quantum-auto.com/store/

for pedals, boot thingy, master cyl etc
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/c-lexusscgs.php

than driveshaft, tranny, speed sensor, shift **** and like 2-3 more things i forgot. i plan on doing this by the end of this year when i get out of tech school.

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-19-11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-19-11, 05:14 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year SC400? I have worked on a few non vvt-i models and trust me when I say they are a total POS. 2 Caps. 2 Rotors. Side facing throttle-body. Spark-plug Wires. YUK If I ever bought one of those cars I would swap out the engine in a heartbeat.
Old 01-19-11, 06:29 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like the v8, then just manual swap it. Its different and cool, and a lot cheaper than a full engine swap.
Old 01-19-11, 07:34 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
What year SC400? I have worked on a few non vvt-i models and trust me when I say they are a total POS. 2 Caps. 2 Rotors. Side facing throttle-body. Spark-plug Wires. YUK If I ever bought one of those cars I would swap out the engine in a heartbeat.
pure opinion. i love my 94 1uzfe and its 2 distributors, it always amuses people. although i love the way the intake is on the vvti motor because it reminds me of the lsx motors.

i dont think anyone has mated a manual tranny to the vvti motor because of the fact they are OBD2 and may cause to many problems with the car afterwards. ********so i have heard on this forum**********
Old 01-19-11, 07:43 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

its a 92. it was my dads and was given to me. but ive heard theyre good cars. and going thru this forum. i find many people drop money into them. my dads kept this one clean af. but yeah if anyone has any suggestions on where i should start or drop my money. id appreciate it(: and thank you ti @iridebmx for the links
Old 01-19-11, 07:59 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

im going in this order personally.

1. get it running near perfect, if not already. (serviced and tuned up)
2. maybe do interior if that matters to you. i personally like my tan for some reason
3. suspension
4. wheels (in the process now)
5. exhaust
6. 5-speed
7. paint. i wanna go black or red but most likely black bc im green now

it all depends what you want to do though. my goal is a nice low 5-speed v8 with 94 front bumper, 97+ skirts and rear bumper

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-19-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-19-11, 08:11 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

lol. motor before looks(: haha just help me get the most horses out of this thing possible. then ill go with looks. oh btw. what kind of transmission would i put in my sc? thanks for all your help btw.
Old 01-19-11, 08:14 PM
Gimpster
Driver

I've swapped an OBD2 1MZ-FE (3.0L V6) into an MR2 I had. That motor also only came auto but I reused the manual transmission on the 5S-FE. It was a mission, but eventually I was able to kill all of the CEL's. It took a slew of resistors and a signal generator.

Eventually I just megasquirted it and called it a day. Here's a picture of the resistor bank I had to build:

Originally Posted by iridebmx
i dont think anyone has mated a manual tranny to the vvti motor because of the fact they are OBD2 and may cause to many problems with the car afterwards. ********so i have heard on this forum**********
Old 01-19-11, 08:56 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by account2x
Really? That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard (okay...one of the most retarded). The SC300 doesn't possess a side facing throttle body? Having spark plug wires makes it a POS?...etc......Ah I'm sure nobody trusts you anyways.
Old 01-19-11, 09:15 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

Lmao; Yay for arguments. Haha but uhmm so back to that question what kind of transmission would I swap in my sc400? I've seen threads about a the W58 5-speed tranny being swapped in. Am I correct. Pardon my little knowledge I just don't know a lot about the sc. Its kind of a cross that bridge when you get there thing
Old 01-19-11, 09:53 PM
Gimpster
Driver

I'm currently collecting parts to swap my car as well, and right now I'm leaning towards the R154.
Old 01-19-11, 10:08 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

Oh; well thanks for your input. Eghrr I should jus say f it and take it to a shop to put in for me lol less hassle but more money. Yay or nay? Is it worth the extra couple thousand for labor?

Quick Reply: sc400 w/ manual tranny swap vs sc400 with 2jz motor swap?