Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Last nites Seafoam experience on my 1JZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 06:52 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMatt
Also I've never had any adverse affects from seafoming the oil and not rinsing multiple times and I've done it to several vehicles
Thats good to hear. I have never tried that on the car. Did you see a lot of built up sludge come out?
Old 01-21-11, 07:06 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres always a few ppl that post up horror stories about seafoam, which is mainly why i havent tried it myself. But this looks fun haha
Old 01-21-11, 08:27 AM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

I wouldn't call it sludge. More so just thick black oil. The petroleum in the seafoam takes all the buildup from inside the engine and loosens it up which is why you should change the oil within 100 miles of adding it.
Old 01-21-11, 12:30 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so what is the exact process to doing this on a bone stock sc3 ? I really interestin in doing this to my car but i dont want any bad affect from doing it wrong
Old 01-21-11, 12:45 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

Which part are you wanting to do? Crankcase, fuel tank or combustion chamber?
Old 01-21-11, 01:15 PM
Gimpster
Driver

I've never seafoamed a "modern" car. What are the effects, if any on the cats? You would think it would load them up pretty good. Especially if you did it with the engine cold and the cats not lit yet.
Old 01-21-11, 01:16 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMatt
Which part are you wanting to do? Crankcase, fuel tank or combustion chamber?
not sure I didnt know there were certin areas that I could do and not others. Which is best ?
Old 01-21-11, 02:59 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

Putting it in the fuel tank cleans out your filter and injectors. Putting it in the oil cleans up sludge and such that have built up over the years and requires only a half can and changing the oil after a few days or 100 miles or less. Putting it in the combustion chamber cleans the runners, valves, and pistons but runs a slight risk of fouling plugs(never had it happen to me). The first 2 are simple and the combustion chamber isn't hard either.
If you still have the GE intake pull the large vacuum line from the valve cover side that goes to the intake and attach a funnel to pour the seafoam in. Pour about half a can in slowly with the engine running then kill the engine and let it sit for awhile to penetrate the old carbon buildup. After sitting start the car and let it sit for about 10min then take off up the road WOT to burn everything which usually only takes a mile or less and you're good to go.
Old 01-21-11, 08:35 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never looked into it, but what does it do for the car? Other than smoke :P
Old 01-22-11, 09:58 AM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

Cleans up all the old buildup in the engine and fuel system to help it run better and smoother
Old 01-22-11, 02:50 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I Seafoamed an old Caprice I used to have, it was super easy on that, just pour it down the carb. I didn't think it ever going to stop smoking, but it did clean the motor out, no more knocking on cheap gas.
Old 01-30-11, 05:53 PM
lexusdave
Driver School Candidate

Default You want to stall engine

taking in half the can thru the intake slowly then dump in 2nd half to stall Let it sit for ten minute Then blow the carbon out. I run Iridium plogs so the do not foul easily. Change the oil and you are done.
Old 03-02-11, 07:55 AM
boney31
Driver School Candidate

mine smoked liked that for 9 straight min the first time i done this but it works great
Old 03-02-11, 10:20 AM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only adverse thing i heard about seafome is that they will sometimes destroy your cats.

I heard really good things about marvel mystery oil, and it doesnt make a big smoke like seafome does.
Old 03-02-11, 11:36 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've asked a couple mechanics about it. They were all cautious about it saying that stuff as toxic as seafom is really bad for anything rubber in the car, like engine seals and such. So you might not see any adverse effects for a while, but those rubber components will deteriorate much quicker. Any truth to this? Or is seafom made to be rubber friendly?

As curious as I am about this, I think I'm going to stay away from it, and maybe only try it on beater cars..

Quick Reply: Last nites Seafoam experience on my 1JZ