Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gas leak Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 01:31 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak Problem

So i bought my 93sc300 with a 91 1jzgte already equipped and r154 tranny. He told me the car was originally manual and that the gas tank has never been messed with or modified.
Now heres the problem. When I fill about half my tank up, (or more), gas tends to come out and leak all over the side of my car. Could this be because the cap is too small? If not what else could it be?! I cant even fill the tank! All help appreciated-thankyou
Old 01-29-11, 10:11 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas is finding its way back out the gas cap? Then yes, it seems like your gas cap is not really doing it's job, but at the same time, there is supposed to be a little lid or flap that stops the splashing from coming back all over your car.
Old 01-30-11, 08:25 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On most cars there is a small vent tube that runs parallel to the large filler neck. The vent tube allows the air in tank to escape without backing up the filler neck and causing bubbles and back splashing. Are you filling the tank really fast, if so try filling on the slowest setting and see if it happens again. It wouldn't hurt to crawl under the car and look around, follow the lines coming from the gas cap and see how they run and just make sure something isn't pinched.
Old 01-30-11, 10:15 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

The cap is there.

I fill the tank at the rate it pumps, i snap the little thing and let it pump itself, (u know what i mean right?) Im about to go put some more gas in right now...ill try putting it in slow and see how it works.
Old 01-31-11, 10:23 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

So far no issues but it doesnt always happen so its hard to know for sure
Old 01-31-11, 11:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what ecu are you running? is there alot of pressure when you open your gas cap (after driving for a bit to the gas station) or is there no pressure sound at all when you open it up?
I would check in the engine bay (passenger side by firewall) to see if your charcoal canister was re-connected properly during the swap, or if it was removed I would make sure the vent line from the gas tank is properly vented. you won't believe what some people will try and do like cap this line off or something.
Old 02-05-11, 10:28 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
what ecu are you running? is there alot of pressure when you open your gas cap (after driving for a bit to the gas station) or is there no pressure sound at all when you open it up?
I would check in the engine bay (passenger side by firewall) to see if your charcoal canister was re-connected properly during the swap, or if it was removed I would make sure the vent line from the gas tank is properly vented. you won't believe what some people will try and do like cap this line off or something.
Stock ECU. I dont hear anything when i open it and when i asked the original owner if the gas tank was ever removed, modifyed, etc. he said no. The swap was done by a very reputable shop/guy so he wouldnt take shortcuts or make stupid mistakes lol My mechianic told me it could be the gas filter, i should be finding out next week