Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Twin Screw Supercharger Project In Development

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11 | 11:28 AM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Is that the manifold that can be used with an Eaton (M90/M112) as well?
Old 02-05-11 | 12:57 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Yep. Its one of two that are made for roots and twin screw type chargers for the 1uz. The other company that makes a similar manifold is richwood aero. Mine is from Bullet cars.

Now why you'd want to waste time with a m90/112 is another matter.
Old 02-05-11 | 01:15 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

I really haven't looked into it all that much, as I've been preoccupied with getting the car running right and bodywork done, but what makes you say this?

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Now why you'd want to waste time with a m90/112 is another matter.
The M90 is pretty undersized, but it seemed as if the M112 was a pretty decent option. Granted, Cobra and Lightning owners typically ditch them in favor of a KB/Whipple/etc, but those motors make 385-390hp in factory trim with that blower. I'm sure our little 4.0's would realize some solid gains. Why wouldn't one choose an Eaton, assuming as always that cost is an issue?
Old 02-05-11 | 03:38 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Eatons are crap. Roots blowers are way less efficient as compared to a twin screw. Look up the difference in articles online, the rotor design is much more advanced. Also, making a m112 fit under the hood on that manifold is a whole lot of custom work too!! Extra milling and welding is involved.

Its only like 10% more cost to go twin screw so why not
Old 02-05-11 | 05:38 PM
mclovintsx
Driver School Candidate

baller!!!!!!
Old 02-06-11 | 08:32 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Aw Man! Here we go.
Old 02-07-11 | 08:09 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Scott, I know i'm going to have a million questions for you along the way.

I just went back and re-read your first supercharger build.

First question: How did you couple the bypass valve with the the rear inlet? There's very little height clearance(spacer under the blower helps) and i would rather not weld the bypass solid to the inlet, but i can't come up with a better idea.
Old 02-07-11 | 01:28 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Looking awesome UpInTheLex. Just got this running today.. still untune. Using a start up program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfNyYsWxMI
Old 02-07-11 | 02:51 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Looks great David, I know you've been persistent on that project. Looks awesome. The aussie guys get you that front snout kit for the 112? I noticed the Yella Terra Logo... How long is the snout?
Old 02-07-11 | 03:31 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Looks great David, I know you've been persistent on that project. Looks awesome. The aussie guys get you that front snout kit for the 112? I noticed the Yella Terra Logo... How long is the snout?
I didnt measure but it is a completely different snout than the oem M112. Belt alignment is perfect.
Old 02-07-11 | 07:37 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Could you measure for me, I'm curious on snout length it looks like 6 inches
Old 02-08-11 | 08:31 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Could you measure for me, I'm curious on snout length it looks like 6 inches
Just for you UITL... From the front of the M112 body to the back border of the 6 ribs belt is 7.25". I have pics
Old 02-08-11 | 05:40 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

That's great news. I may be able to get this 9" snout I have to work after all. It seems just a bit long, but it was of no cost to me, so I want to try to make it work as another snout is $350-400.

Thane and I will be making a separate pulley drive in front of the accessory drive belt with HTD teeth like timing belts use. Like this one from Kevin Deane.

Notice how he uses the old hydraulic cooling fan pump as a idler/tensioner mount.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 02-10-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-08-11 | 07:05 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Scott, I know i'm going to have a million questions for you along the way.

I just went back and re-read your first supercharger build.

First question: How did you couple the bypass valve with the the rear inlet? There's very little height clearance(spacer under the blower helps) and i would rather not weld the bypass solid to the inlet, but i can't come up with a better idea.
I need to study your set up some and see what it looks like compared to mine. I made a small rubber gasket like sleeve on mine but I dont know if that will work on yours. I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Looking awesome UpInTheLex. Just got this running today.. still untune. Using a start up program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfNyYsWxMI
Awesome David! You need to get on a plane and get down here to help me finish mine.

That's great news. I may be able to get this 9" snout I have to work after all. It seems just a bit long, but it was of no cost to me, so I want to try to make it work as another snout is $350-400.

Thane and I will be making a separate pulley drive in front of the accessory drive belt with HTD teeth like timing belts use. Like this one from Kevin Deane.

Notice how he uses the old hydraulic cooling fan pump as a idler/tensioner mount.

Love the cog belt, thats what John Cribb did too. I am still going to try my seperate drive, I think since its wider it will be OK.
Old 02-10-11 | 03:31 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Thanks Scott much appreciated. You are correct about John Cribb going Cog, Gilmer, HTD 3 words for the same thing, HTD is the industry term for High Torque Drive. Except John did ALL his pulleys, SC, alternator, PS pump, Crank,etc in HTD style.

I went over to the shop today and mocked up the parts on my spare motor. It looks like the 9" snout I have will work, but I will have to offset the pulley back over the snout about an inch because it's too long.

I also got good news from Whipple today that I will be able to convert from direct drive to extended drive by way of a 129.00 kit.

Anyway here's two pics.
Attached Thumbnails SC400 Twin Screw Supercharger Project In Development-bullet-lysholm-1uz.jpg   SC400 Twin Screw Supercharger Project In Development-intake-blower-comparison.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC400 Twin Screw Supercharger Project In Development