Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Build 1.5j or sell 2jz-GTE block?
Build 1.5j?
69.57%
Sell 2jz-gte block?
30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

1.5j build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 09:20 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

people had made over 9xx rhwp on 1.5jz setup but the little 600rwhp he's looking for can be done on stock 1jz with some supporting mods.
he has way too much money invested in his 1jz and his power is reasonable and he is not far from 600rwhp goal , 450rwhp on piggypack I think its 500rwhp on ems.
Old 02-07-11, 09:33 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
people had made over 9xx rhwp on 1.5jz setup but the little 600rwhp he's looking for can be done on stock 1jz with some supporting mods.
he has way too much money invested in his 1jz and his power is reasonable and he is not far from 600rwhp goal , 450rwhp on piggypack I think its 500rwhp on ems.
not on pump gas
Old 02-07-11, 10:14 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt there are many 2jz-gte motors making 900+ on pump gas either. A 1j head could probably pick up 20 cfm with a good port job, especially with 20 lbs of boost.
Old 02-07-11, 10:35 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
I doubt there are many 2jz-gte motors making 900+ on pump gas either. A 1j head could probably pick up 20 cfm with a good port job, especially with 20 lbs of boost.
there are none

you guys gotta stop get out of this whole engine can handle 1000hp on stock internals mantra and start dealing with real world situations.

4xxhp is easy on pump gas, 5xx doable but getting harder, 6xx you need every advantage you can take. cams, port & polish, higher rev, vvt-i, you name it.

You have to remember it's not just about making the power but have a decent powerband too. you don't want only 1000rpm of full boost.
Old 02-07-11, 10:58 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

I never said he could make 900+ on pump gas , I was responding to your comment to quickGS300. He didn't say 900+ on pump gas , he just said 900+.
Old 02-07-11, 04:03 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by account2x
there are none

you guys gotta stop get out of this whole engine can handle 1000hp on stock internals mantra and start dealing with real world situations.

4xxhp is easy on pump gas, 5xx doable but getting harder, 6xx you need every advantage you can take. cams, port & polish, higher rev, vvt-i, you name it.

You have to remember it's not just about making the power but have a decent powerband too. you don't want only 1000rpm of full boost.
Thinking about vvt-i, always wanted the 2jz-gte vvti motor.
Having a decent power band is important specially in what i plan to mainly use my car for (track and drift) I'm not much of a drag person but like to know i have the ability to keep up with something like a ZR1.
Old 02-07-11, 06:45 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

This is out of subject but how much would it take to beat a 600cc bike?
Just watched a video that someone in supraforums beating 1300cc bikes.

quickGS300 check your PM.

Last edited by TRDmike; 02-07-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 07:18 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Calculate the power to weight ratios, that will get you in the ballpark.
Old 02-07-11, 09:32 PM
Matador
Racer

Add the EMS with a tune to your current setup and hang onto the other block in case you blow your the bottom end or funds allow for a costly upgrade.
Old 02-08-11, 03:29 AM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matador
Add the EMS with a tune to your current setup and hang onto the other block in case you blow your the bottom end or funds allow for a costly upgrade.
That's the current plan and a new radiator, hope to see improvement when I get all the parts together.
Old 02-08-11, 07:04 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Who said anything about 900 and pump gas?
Who said anything about 1000hp on stock block ? and yes it has been done and it's being done 1017rwhp bone stock block.
Some lost their gte blocks ~4XXrwhp, some 900RWHP, some still pushing the same blocks at 1017rwhp for years So please let's not get on that subject.
If someone wants to run 1000rwhp on their stock bottom end, so what. It has been done. That wasn't the question asked here.

What do mean by 1k rpm of full boost? are you talking about lag? It's not like i told him to run a 4788 on his setup!

So what setup do you suggest he goes with? a 2jzgte VVTi setup?

Let's not make this a 2jz VS 1JZ thread .....
TRDmike you will need a trans and better clutch to mess with ZR1s.....
That R154 and Single disc clutch will not cut it... I don't know the brand and the specs on your turbo you may need a new one....
I will do the QSV setup before installing a 2jzgte VVTi swap.
Old 02-08-11, 01:03 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Who said anything about 900 and pump gas?
Who said anything about 1000hp on stock block ? and yes it has been done and it's being done 1017rwhp bone stock block.
Some lost their gte blocks ~4XXrwhp, some 900RWHP, some still pushing the same blocks at 1017rwhp for years So please let's not get on that subject.
If someone wants to run 1000rwhp on their stock bottom end, so what. It has been done. That wasn't the question asked here.

What do mean by 1k rpm of full boost? are you talking about lag? It's not like i told him to run a 4788 on his setup!

So what setup do you suggest he goes with? a 2jzgte VVTi setup?

Let's not make this a 2jz VS 1JZ thread .....
TRDmike you will need a trans and better clutch to mess with ZR1s.....
That R154 and Single disc clutch will not cut it... I don't know the brand and the specs on your turbo you may need a new one....
I will do the QSV setup before installing a 2jzgte VVTi swap.
I'm running a precision turbine I also have a ORC 659 twin plate but took it off, will put it back on when I need to... was not comfortable driving with it daily/economically. I figured the ACT clutch wont hold, it barely holds my currernt setup..slips once in a while... also read one of your threads about the same clutch kit does not hold up to the rating it was described to hold.

Last edited by TRDmike; 02-08-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 02:31 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

TRD mike it's a precision 67 right? what exhaust housing? it's not the billet 67 is it?
1000cc injectors, E85 , SP QSV, EMS, R154 with the Twin disc clutch will work but that tranny will not hold for too long.

I had ACT and it held the power great with no problem nver slipped, made some great power with it.
No high RPM shift and with the HD pressure plate because it will distroy your trust washers and you will end up replacing you bottom end.

If you really what something responsive instant power low end tq i would do the QSV with 6265 and have fun.

I don't know what happen with mine it for 632tq and it broke over 5XXtq and to be honest i don't know i don't why the straps broke of the pressure plate.
And i reordered the same cluthc from Assaultech he is a vendor on here and that one held great no power, lol i talk to ACT the guys could not believe the straps broke and they wanted me to show them my dyno sheet which i didn't have because the printer was out of paper lol you know what am talking about.

One of local SC owner made 750rwhp on the same clutch started to slip around 780rwhp.
Old 02-08-11, 02:44 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

TRD mike it's a precision 67 right? what exhaust housing? it's not the billet 67 is it?
1000cc injectors, E85 , SP QSV, EMS, R154 with the Twin disc clutch will work but that tranny will not hold for too long.

I had ACT and it held the power great with no problem nver slipped, made some great power with it.
No high RPM shift and with the HD pressure plate because it will distroy your trust washers and you will end up replacing you bottom end.

If you really what something responsive instant power low end tq i would do the QSV with 6265 and have fun.

I don't know what happen with mine it for 632tq and it broke over 5XXtq and to be honest i don't know i don't why the straps broke of the pressure plate.
And i reordered the same cluthc from Assaultech he is a vendor on here and that one held great no power, lol i talk to ACT the guys could not believe the straps broke and they wanted me to show them my dyno sheet which i didn't have because the printer was out of paper lol you know what am talking about.

That is odd about your clutch, i know its my fault for having a crappy kit due to buying a used pressure plate on here a while back.

One of local SC owner made 750rwhp on the same clutch started to slip around 780rwhp.
I have a 6776 turbine.

My car came with a w58 but replaced it to a r154 and just got the internals rebuilt with marlin crawler parts: thrust washer, shift fork, etc. about 1 month ago due to having a fellow coworker watch over my car while i was deployed out of the country and found out he blew my transmission, found the trust washer in multiple pieces.

Was thinking about getting the QSV but the mechanic that usually works on my car told me to go 1.5j before going with the QSV.

You probably had one of those 1/100 clutches that were not as lucky, as for me i know mine doesn't hold to well due to buying a used pressure plate a while back.

Last edited by TRDmike; 02-08-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 08:32 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Just remembered i am running a Soarer wire harness and planning to get the AEM EMS series 2.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a issue wiring the standalone?

Looked it up and don't think there is a plug for the Soarer harness.

Quick Reply: 1.5j build?