Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

About to start my 1jzgte swap into sc300

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 06:51 PM
americk22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking About to start my 1jzgte swap into sc300

Hi guys I will be posting pics later on this week of my swap. Its a 1jzgte soarer engine and auto tranny and ecu. Its pretty clean and can't wait to get it running. I'm getting the wiring harness extended professionally.

Only question is that is there any other modifications required for the soarer into sc300? Water pump? fan? or anything ? thanks and here is a link to the engine I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2296wt_1165
Old 02-08-11, 12:20 PM
tanahara
Driver School Candidate

Bro just bought the same thing, it should be here this week. Lets see how it all goes im staying auto atm. Cant wait to hear how yours went.
Old 02-08-11, 12:55 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

youll need to get a 2J water Pump , A power steering Resivoir,Fan Clutch and fan,and maybe a Throttle Cable (i cant remember if it needs a longer one or not) .Also i looked at what your link said it came with and It dosnt say it has your Map sensor... I hope you get one with the Wiring Harness.
Old 02-08-11, 02:06 PM
americk22
Driver

Are u sure the soarer 1j needs a 2j water pump?
Old 02-09-11, 06:00 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

It has a hydro Fan and if you want to keep that setup you can. That wasnt listed on the Link either. and finding those parts isnt as easy as converting it to a Waterpump and fan Clutch. I have had both, Hydro fan with pump Tank and lines, an now with my soarer that hasa 2J water pump and Fan Clutch and Big Plastic fan. You want to convert.
i am not 100% positive but i have never herd of a standard 1J Waterpump with Clutch fan/fan that was ever an option.
Old 02-09-11, 02:19 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

You should try JDM Depot in NJ, they sell good engines and well taken care off.
Old 02-09-11, 05:21 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

You will need....

- Water pump (2JZ works ok but you going to need to replace the timing belt)
- Timing belt (80s Izuzu Trooper with the 2.6L)
- Serp Belt (2JZ works ok)
- Thermostat (2JZ works)
- Front crank seal (2JZ works)
- Rear main seal (2JZ works, VERY good idea with the motor out)
- 1JZ gasket kit (don't have to replace all of them, but a very good idea to get at some with the engine out)
- Toyota FIPG (gasket maker)
- Supra TT power steering reservoir (if yours doesn't come with them)
- Supra TT radiator hoses (upper and lower)
- Custom heater core hoses (need to get creative with that...)
- engine mounts (mine were bad on my new engine and i couldn't reuse them off my old engine because they fell apart too.) Supra TT works BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SMALLER RUBBER TYPE!!! (part #: 12360-46111)
- spark plugs
- Toyota Red Coolant (2 gallons)
- 10W-30 oil and oil filters (you want to change out the oil very periodically for the first few miles)
- an extra $1000 for miscellaneous stuff like bolts, cleaners, oil hoses, etc.

it's been a while, if im missing anything let me know

For the fan i think you can re-use the fan and clutch off the old engine, but if all else fails get the 2JZ TT one.
Old 02-09-11, 07:19 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by StiCk3
You will need....

- Water pump (2JZ works ok but you going to need to replace the timing belt)
- Timing belt (80s Izuzu Trooper with the 2.6L)
- Serp Belt (2JZ works ok)
- Thermostat (2JZ works)
- Front crank seal (2JZ works)
- Rear main seal (2JZ works, VERY good idea with the motor out)
- 1JZ gasket kit (don't have to replace all of them, but a very good idea to get at some with the engine out)
- Toyota FIPG (gasket maker)
- Supra TT power steering reservoir (if yours doesn't come with them)
- Supra TT radiator hoses (upper and lower)
- Custom heater core hoses (need to get creative with that...)
- engine mounts (mine were bad on my new engine and i couldn't reuse them off my old engine because they fell apart too.) Supra TT works BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SMALLER RUBBER TYPE!!! (part #: 12360-46111)
- spark plugs
- Toyota Red Coolant (2 gallons)
- 10W-30 oil and oil filters (you want to change out the oil very periodically for the first few miles)
- an extra $1000 for miscellaneous stuff like bolts, cleaners, oil hoses, etc.

it's been a while, if im missing anything let me know

For the fan i think you can re-use the fan and clutch off the old engine, but if all else fails get the 2JZ TT one.
How hard are these parts to get a hold of? I'm looking at doing a 1JZ swap, unless the JDM 2JZ is easier to swap?
Old 02-09-11, 07:30 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the fan clutch off and go electric. That 1j looks pretty clean.
Old 02-09-11, 08:30 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
How hard are these parts to get a hold of? I'm looking at doing a 1JZ swap, unless the JDM 2JZ is easier to swap?
all these parts i got a hold of online, or through the toyota dealer i work at. Do some searching here, supramania, and other sites for good parts sources. Just be prepared to spend more than you think.

The 1JZ swap, from a DIY point of view, is easier in that it bolts in to the chassis and the plugs all fit into the body (given that you have a soarer engine and you've extended the harness to match). Some minor rewiring may be needed depending on the year of your car for the starter issue i ran into with my swap. A lot of parts are interchangeable with the 2JZ, but not all. I've had to source a few parts either used off of other swaps or by searching for a new one with little success.

The 2JZ on the other hand has all the parts stateside and JDM parts can be swapped with USDM parts no problem. The downside is some rewiring has to be done, either through a professional like phoneix tuning or by poking and prodding at other members who have had luck. It can be done though, and compared to a 1JZ, the 2JZ has more power potential. Not to say that a 1JZ can dish some power out itself, but if you're looking for a buttload more power in the near future then a 2JZ would be best. I wish i could give more of an opinion on my swap as most people are biased towards the 2JZ. I haven't really gotten all i wanted out of my swap so far but i should solve that over the summer. There are plenty of other members here that have completed their swaps and can give a better opinion of their endeavors.
Old 02-10-11, 12:25 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

I think all this should be "stickied" too many threads on the same topic daily....eventhough there is one on the DIY thread but people arent looking.
Old 02-12-11, 09:34 AM
xzeus
Rookie

Been looking for a 1jz myself, keep us updated on how the engine is n swap goes
Old 02-12-11, 09:57 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
How do you define easy? any engine swap will require pulling the motor with all the steps required to do that and any JDM swap will require "some" wiring work.

EVERYTHING StiCk3 listed in post #7 would have to be done regardless of 1JZ or 2JZ. The only possibly difference would be what car your engine came from and what it included.

If you got a soarer 1jz the new oil pan can stay but if you got a chaser 1jz your stock oil pan would have to be reused and that would be the same process if you got an aristo 2jz.

as most people are biased towards the 2JZ.
There might be a reason for that, no? The going rate for a 1jz auto is 1k and 2k for the aristo 2jz not including shipping. Factoring in the money spent on parts that 1000 dollar difference is not that big.
Old 02-12-11, 08:11 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
There might be a reason for that, no? The going rate for a 1jz auto is 1k and 2k for the aristo 2jz not including shipping. Factoring in the money spent on parts that 1000 dollar difference is not that big.
That and the potential power output for a 2JZ is much greater than a 1JZ. people stateside have been tuning and modding supra engines for a long time, the 1JZ never came here and the market for parts compared to the 2JZ is smaller. Nevertheless, the simplicity of the swap is what drew me towards it. It bolts right up and all the plugs for the engine harness fit on the body harness. The only issue that i ran into was the starter issue (see sig.) which i had to figure out myself.
Old 02-13-11, 07:32 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That and the potential power output for a 2JZ is much greater than a 1JZ. people stateside have been tuning and modding supra engines for a long time, the 1JZ never came here and the market for parts compared to the 2JZ is smaller.
That is a misleading statement. It leads one to believe the 1JZ is a 700hp engine and the 2jz is 1000+.

Less displacement and worse headflow means your turbo won't spool as fast. So if one was trying to optimize the powerband the 1JZ would have to run a smaller turbo than the 2jz. Therefore the 1jz would make less peak power than the 2jz.

Nevertheless, the simplicity of the swap is what drew me towards it. It bolts right up and all the plugs for the engine harness fit on the body harness. The only issue that i ran into was the starter issue (see sig.) which i had to figure out myself.
Do you ever have second thoughts?

You have to spend almost as much money on parts as your engine.

A Supra 2JZ bolts right up.
An Aristo 2JZ will bolt up if you swap over the GE mounting brackets and oil pan.

If you have to go through the trouble of extending the wires why not go one step further and repin them for the better engine?

Quick Reply: About to start my 1jzgte swap into sc300