Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ok sc400 needs more power asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 09:25 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tig_tech

A lot of the body panels on the G37 are aluminum, making it very light.
For the record, with G37's weighing in at somewhere well north of 3600 lbs., they most certainly are NOT considered "very light"

The sad truth is that they are nearly identical in weight so, just like the SC's, they are (affectionately) considered FATASSES !
Old 02-25-11, 10:22 AM
VanillaSC
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Wtf?^^ I should state that I don't want to spend huge amnts of money on a set up that I will most likely toss in a short time.

I would love a turbo kit for it however it is a daily driver so I would like to retain the stock reliability without hacking the poor car.

Spray will yield large amnts of power for less than 1k so I am really leaning that way as stated in my first post.

If you decide to sell your spinner rims let me know...
Dude if you knew you already wanted intake exhaust and no2 then why did you make this thread? You've knocked everyone's suggestions for a manual swap or turbo. If there was a cheap and easy way to make a lot of power with the 1uzfe it would be all over these forums. Since you're supposedly a mechanic and have been on here for a while I would expect you to know everything that has been said in this thread already. So use the search button and check out lextreme.com for more info on modding the 1uzfe, and quit wasting our time. It's sad when a noob like me has to tell you this...
Old 02-25-11, 10:51 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahahahahaaaa!! Good Job bro. ^^
BTW I got some light speed spinner rims for sale CHEAP!
Old 02-25-11, 01:18 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a bunch of snobs you guys are. I don't know everything or else I would not have made this thread and I was mainly asking what the next known weak link is.

I honestly know nothing about making any type of power with the v8 and am not afarid to ask a question which is how one gains more knowledge so stop waisting your time bashing everyone and pick up a wrench as you might learn something and maybe you can report back and help someone else in need of a question to be answered
Old 02-25-11, 02:24 PM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

Can't we all just get along?

I recommend you search these forums (advanced search). There is many little things the guys on here are doing to get more power and better responsiveness for the 1uz and the auto trans.

Making a BFI (big f-ing intake) will net noticeable gains for the least amount of money. Plenty of how-tos for that online. Stock header design is quite restrictive so in theory aftermarket headers would up the power a lot, but I haven't seen too many dyno charts backing this up. Deleting the cats could help too.

I could go on, but it seems you already know the typical methods of gaining power. (turbo, nos, supercharging.)
Old 02-25-11, 03:59 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W58's are so cheap these days, and now there's a kit to adapt it to the 400 so if you do all the things mentioned afore, and you do NOT want to turbo or supercharge, just swap in that manual tranny to wake it all up. It takes quit a bit of power to destroy a W58, more than a NA 1UZ is gonna put out anyhow.
Old 02-25-11, 04:14 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

I will expand on what has been said and give a break down of the mods (that I know of) for the 1UZFE because I'm such a nice guy. I want to point out first that I have ZERO engine mods to my SC400 but I know what can be done because I have taken the time to do the research. Ok here we go and anyone feel free to correct me on anything.

Intake:
BFI-Cheaper and yields more power, plus keeps a factory intake look.
AEM Short Ram-More show than go from what I've read, but some people like it.

Exhaust:
Megan Racing
Blitz NurSpec
5Zigen Fireball
Top Speed Pro 1
These are all axle-backs. From there to the cats you will need custom piping from a muffler/exhaust shop. Some guys replace their center cat with an X-pipe I'm not sure if this causes a CEL or not. Other guys have gone full custom with universal mufflers and whatever tips they want.

Headers:
Rush Imports-I don't think you will pass emissions with these because you will need to delete your EGR but I could be mistaken.
IMF- Don't know where to get them
S&S- No longer exists as far as I know

LSD/Rear Diff:
Auto TT Supra- LSD but lower gearing than factory SC
KAAZ-Not sure on the gearing but I've read good things and I know 240sx drift guys love em.
There are different toyota/lexus diffs than can be used with different ratios but I don't know what all works with the 400. You will have to research.

Transmission:
B&M Trans Cooler-Don't know much about it, but I know there are guys here that have it on their 400.
Lextreme Torque Converter-Good mod, good price, and a lifetime warranty. I plan on getting one eventually.

ECU/Piggyback:
SAFC-From what I've read this only allows you to tune your A/F ratio at WOT, our factory ECUs are stubborn.
Standalone-Look on lextreme the aussies know their stuff about this but since you aren't going turbo, s/c, or a crazy built motor I don't think this applies to you.

Misc:
TPS Mod- Allows you to adjust how the tranny shifts either firmer or smoother (there is a thread about it and a youtube video)
Unplugged MAF- Some guys say they can feel more low end power, others say their car won't run with the MAF unplugged.
Trans Selenoids: There is a thread on here about improving the shifting from first to second by removing a selenoid on your tranny. You will have to search for it.

Engine:
Lextreme Cams-Regrinds and they have different stages for different power options.
ITBs-I know OBX makes a kit and guys that swap the UZ into other cars for drifting like these. There is another kit besides the OBX one but I don't know the brand or what else is involved for this mod.
2UZ Short Block Swap- Lextreme offers a performance built 4.7l tundra short block and with your 1UZFE heads it makes for a plug and play swap.

Well there is a lot I still don't know but I was able to give you a pretty hefty list of options just by what I've read. To everyone else I've left out the obvious turbo and s/c options because the OP stated thats not what he is interested in. Hope this helps, and we're not snobs. All of this information was already available to you if you would have just taken the time to look for it instead of asking for it. Good luck on your mods.
Old 02-25-11, 08:08 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Thank you that was one of the most helpeful posts I have seen on the internet in quite some time!!

For the record I have searched and searched infact I am most likely going to suffer vision problems from searching so much

I also appreciate everyones input as I am rather clueless when it comes to common mods for the 1uzfe and my intensions were to just yank the v8 and swap in the 600whp set up from the supra however I am falling in love with this car and am having second thoughts and would like to stick out the v8 and just do some bpu mods plus n20 but I value everyones input on the subject due to the fact that I honestly have never modded a v8 or an automatic Toyota before.

My plans are as follows...

Complete custom exhaust with no cats
Headers
Walbro 255 fuel pump
4in custom intake
Gasket match both upper and lower intake along with t-body
Direct port n20 (150) shot

Now I assume since this ecu is obd2 that it is a multiplex ecu so any form of piggyback is out of the question however I did read somebody tunes the stock ecu over in Australia but I am not even sure if they are still in business?

Last edited by xspsi6; 02-25-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-26-11, 07:26 AM
Gimpster
Driver

I'm not a huge fan of nitrous. Not because it doesnt work, but it gets expensive really quick if you use it much. The money spent on bottle refills is best saved for a "permanent" power adder.

Just my opinion!
Old 02-26-11, 09:10 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am not either however I won't be using it very often as it's a daily driver but would like power on demand if need be.
Old 02-26-11, 12:07 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VanillaSC
I will expand on what has been said and give a break down of the mods (that I know of) for the 1UZFE because I'm such a nice guy. I want to point out first that I have ZERO engine mods to my SC400 but I know what can be done because I have taken the time to do the research. Ok here we go and anyone feel free to correct me on anything.

Intake:
BFI-Cheaper and yields more power, plus keeps a factory intake look.
AEM Short Ram-More show than go from what I've read, but some people like it.

Exhaust:
Megan Racing
Blitz NurSpec
5Zigen Fireball
Top Speed Pro 1
These are all axle-backs. From there to the cats you will need custom piping from a muffler/exhaust shop. Some guys replace their center cat with an X-pipe I'm not sure if this causes a CEL or not. Other guys have gone full custom with universal mufflers and whatever tips they want.

Headers:
Rush Imports-I don't think you will pass emissions with these because you will need to delete your EGR but I could be mistaken.
IMF- Don't know where to get them
S&S- No longer exists as far as I know

LSD/Rear Diff:
Auto TT Supra- LSD but lower gearing than factory SC
KAAZ-Not sure on the gearing but I've read good things and I know 240sx drift guys love em.
There are different toyota/lexus diffs than can be used with different ratios but I don't know what all works with the 400. You will have to research.

Transmission:
B&M Trans Cooler-Don't know much about it, but I know there are guys here that have it on their 400.
Lextreme Torque Converter-Good mod, good price, and a lifetime warranty. I plan on getting one eventually.

ECU/Piggyback:
SAFC-From what I've read this only allows you to tune your A/F ratio at WOT, our factory ECUs are stubborn.
Standalone-Look on lextreme the aussies know their stuff about this but since you aren't going turbo, s/c, or a crazy built motor I don't think this applies to you.

Misc:
TPS Mod- Allows you to adjust how the tranny shifts either firmer or smoother (there is a thread about it and a youtube video)
Unplugged MAF- Some guys say they can feel more low end power, others say their car won't run with the MAF unplugged.
Trans Selenoids: There is a thread on here about improving the shifting from first to second by removing a selenoid on your tranny. You will have to search for it.

Engine:
Lextreme Cams-Regrinds and they have different stages for different power options.
ITBs-I know OBX makes a kit and guys that swap the UZ into other cars for drifting like these. There is another kit besides the OBX one but I don't know the brand or what else is involved for this mod.
2UZ Short Block Swap- Lextreme offers a performance built 4.7l tundra short block and with your 1UZFE heads it makes for a plug and play swap.

Well there is a lot I still don't know but I was able to give you a pretty hefty list of options just by what I've read. To everyone else I've left out the obvious turbo and s/c options because the OP stated thats not what he is interested in. Hope this helps, and we're not snobs. All of this information was already available to you if you would have just taken the time to look for it instead of asking for it. Good luck on your mods.
Great post, some new stuff in there I haven't seen before.

I'm with ya man, xcept I want my SC4 to beat Mustangs cuz all my friends have 'em and always spank me; then laugh that I bought an import.
I think a manual swap would probably be the best mod to do to release some of that horesepower thats lost in the drivetrain, without going FI. There's other small things I'm gonna do like polyurithane engine/trans mounts that will reduce drivetrain loss a bit as well..
There's a vendor here that sells IMF headers, theyre pretty pricey at $800 a pop, but every winter/xmas they seem to put a few up for sale for $500 or so. That along with a full custom exhaust is my other option to gain hp.
As difficult as it is to get some nice power from the 1UZ there ARE some things out there. Unfortunately all my problems are magnefied cuz I have the vvt-i, mods dont seem to wanna play nice with it lol
Old 02-26-11, 05:12 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hey just expanding a liitle on vanilla sc's post... firstly if you go to imf's homepage you can order from them or wait and see if they offer another group buy. also as to the power for the money ive heard numbers from anywhere around 15 to 35 horsepower increases. aslo if your willing to swap out the short block you can get a 2uz and remill the pistons then get the motor mounts from lextreme. number wise on that somebody got around 315 hp running low comp. pistons and no bolt ons...stock everything. so with some headers 2uz swap whit stock compression and intake plus 2.5-3 in exhaust you could see 350+ hp
if you are willing you can do a w58 swap i now for a fact that that alone will yield about 30 whp and will get rid of the slow shifting plus like redpheonix said if you like to shift your own gears then go manual.
this is all i have to add hope this helps a little... one more thing ive heard that the 1uz REALLY wakes up if you do cams. good luck and post pics and vids when you start doing all of this.
Old 02-26-11, 05:31 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I was unaware that anybody made cams for the 1uz?
Old 02-26-11, 05:36 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

well if you look theres several manufacturers. kelford has like 40 options it seems like and i know lextreme does a regrind service. and if your willing to deal with shipping from australia i know bullet cars has about two are three different setups. hey pm me if you want more specifics...price etc etc etc.
Old 02-26-11, 07:10 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Not a fan of re grinds however I am a huge fan of kelford as we have those in our evo and it gained big power over the HKS 280's they replaced!

Quick Reply: Ok sc400 needs more power asap!!