Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

water pump coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 09:42 PM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump coolant leak

Ok, i have searched but i could not find but it doesn't mean its not there. I have a 99 sc300 and I have a problem with my water pump..... it leaks. There is my whole radiator mass that is coming out of what seems to be called the drain hose of the water pump. It doesn't stop and it literally drains wright when i put water in radiator. I don't know what to do to correct this drain/leak. Is the pump dead, can it be fixed or rebuilt.

Main view

Closer

This is the hose that it is draining out of

and here is the hose where its placed normally and the coolant runs down the alternator

Last edited by thetrevste; 03-07-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 10:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

My water pump is leaking too. I've been wondering if it can be rebuilt or if I should just get a new one.
Old 03-08-11, 04:18 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

normally just replace the water pump when the seals leak.. mine just went last week on my Supra, changed it out and it's good to go...
Old 03-08-11, 09:51 AM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

What sucks is this pump is only 30,000 miles old the timing belt was changed with it and it already knocked out on me. I want to believe it is the pumps gasket but I will most likely end up getting a pump putting it on and seeing how it does.
Old 03-08-11, 11:11 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetrevste
What sucks is this pump is only 30,000 miles old the timing belt was changed with it and it already knocked out on me. I want to believe it is the pumps gasket but I will most likely end up getting a pump putting it on and seeing how it does.

that sucks man, could have been installed poorly or something i guess? Or maybe not a OEM waterpump?

I normally always use OEM, i did cheap out on my Supra recently cause i needed it running the next day and the parts store had a 47 dollar GMB pump in stock, hopefully mine holds up lol but i guess it wasn't too big a deal to change..

actually if it's leaking from that hole it shouldn't be anything with the install, probably just a inexpensive parts store brand pump?
Old 03-08-11, 12:56 PM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aka paco
that sucks man, could have been installed poorly or something i guess? Or maybe not a OEM waterpump?

I normally always use OEM, i did cheap out on my Supra recently cause i needed it running the next day and the parts store had a 47 dollar GMB pump in stock, hopefully mine holds up lol but i guess it wasn't too big a deal to change..

actually if it's leaking from that hole it shouldn't be anything with the install, probably just a inexpensive parts store brand pump?
Yea I got the pump changed at merchants tire I think, I’m not sure what brand of pump it is but they told me before I started working on the car myself and naive and I trusted people to work on the car and what they say……but they prob just got a cheap one to make profit off me. I’ll get a new one from either AutoZone or Toyota, not sure yet. I haven’t changed a water pump yet....Any words of advice process wise? Anything will help before I take it out tonight.
Old 03-08-11, 02:05 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VvTi engine if you don't have any experience don't touch it , it will end up costing you more money.
Old 03-08-11, 02:45 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is not to hard to do it yourself, just need the correct tools and patience, I bought the water pump at the dealer 2jz turbo they run from $150 to $200 range.
Old 03-08-11, 04:51 PM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quickGS300
VvTi engine if you don't have any experience don't touch it , it will end up costing you more money.
If you don’t start the experience when do you gain the experience….., it’s not like I’m doing the timing belt cause that I won’t touch yet.
Old 03-08-11, 08:42 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetrevste
If you don’t start the experience when do you gain the experience….., it’s not like I’m doing the timing belt cause that I won’t touch yet.

It's not hard man, the VVTI should be easier if anything because you don't have to worry about taking off the hydrualic fan that is normally on the WP pulley..

I changed mine out on my old supra 7mgte (which is more of a pain) last week with a cheap walmart tool set in a couple hours.

gear wrenches would have been nice though!

you can probably search for a how too, drain our coolant, take the belt off your WP, and get to swapping..

tighten the bolts in a criss cross pattern when you are putting the pump back on, and go to your toyota dealer and get some of there gangster FGIP gasket stuff..

also make sure you get the air out of your cooling system when filling it back up with coolant. Might want to go ahead and pick up a thermostat as well if it's been awhile, they are cheap.
Old 03-09-11, 04:31 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Ok well i guess go for it then , the TB has to come off to replace WP i don't know how you were going to do that but if you can then be my guess..
VVTi timing off = bent valves.. just remember that.
Old 03-09-11, 11:17 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Ok well i guess go for it then , the TB has to come off to replace WP i don't know how you were going to do that but if you can then be my guess..
you keep warning us 98+ guys with vvti to not have hg changed or anything dealing with the valves because they will end up bent.

is this because you bent yours and this happens a lot or something?

a lot of cars have vvti. didnt think it was so complicated.
Old 03-09-11, 11:28 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneti
you keep warning us 98+ guys with vvti to not have hg changed or anything dealing with the valves because they will end up bent.

is this because you bent yours and this happens a lot or something?

a lot of cars have vvti. didnt think it was so complicated.
don't come at me like that, expect me to answer your question.

Why do you care what happen to my car, please leave it alone man.

don't change the hG replace the whole car if you want who cares? because i don't

back to topic any news?

Last edited by 99SC42; 03-09-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 11:36 AM
magneti
Pole Position

don't come at me like that, expect me to answer your question.

Why do you care what happen to my car, please leave me alone man.

don't change the hG replace the whole car if you want who cares? because i don't

back to topic any news?
huh?

i was asking your experience with this to prevent me and others from ****ing ours up if possible.

was an honest question but whatever.
Old 03-10-11, 10:18 AM
thetrevste
Driver School Candidate

You where right with taking the timing belt off I wasn’t trying to doubt that I just didn’t want to do it lol but I have the engine down to the crank shaft now, I did align everything to mach up marking wise and I’m going to do a few markings myself on the cam and crank also on the belt to and I am holding off till I can do it all at once and get the pump in because it had to be shipped which will be arriving today. I will have it hopefully changed by the end of the night tonight and I have been taking pics because that is the one thing I could never find and I’m a visual person. Along the way I am talking to 2 other mechanics, who are good friends of mine, one who will be helping me via video chat and the other who has given me great tips for before and after the belt is off.

Quick Reply: water pump coolant leak