Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What can I do to gain NA Power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 12:46 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your not going to get much gain out of the stock na engine unless you really go all out. you MIGHT gain 10-15hp with BFI/Exhaust(a good one), but I dont think it would be a gain your going to notice.

there is a reason 99% of the cars here on CL are GTE or na-t..the stock na just wont make power unless you do a high-dollar na build.

My suggestion, just save those pennies and go na-t or gte and until then, leave it alone and enjoy the reliability.
Old 03-15-11, 02:10 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

rise the compression do big cams, more fuel, port and polish, bigger throttle body, or different intake so you can feed it with more air flow and tune. you can make it pretty nuts for an NA, i mean its rated for high hp if you were to turbo it so it would make pretty damn good power NA if you were to build it.

Last edited by Cleanshots; 03-15-11 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 02:47 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
na-t is alot right now and i don't have the funds these cars come with like 220hp or something is 70 more horsepower that hard to achieve what about exhaust cam gear? how much hp gain what are the benefits
YES that's exceptionally hard to get. Think about what you are asking- a 32% INCREASE in power while adding minimal additional air and fuel. What are you expecting to actually make this power? While there are a few mods to "free up" power, there are only a few ways for your engine to actually make more power:

Power is a function of torque- torque can be increased by increasing the force of each explosion in the combustion cycle. The force of this can be increased by increasing the potential energy of our air/fuel mixture. This can be done by increasing the mass of air and fuel pulled in by your motor, or by increasing the compression of the mixture. Increased air/fuel means forced induction or greater displacement. Increasing compression means high compression pistons.

The other function of power is RPM. You can raise the maximum RPM of your motor, however in order for this to be effective and not choke off torque thereby negating the gains from RPM extensive head and valve train work will be required.

Therefore the CHEAPEST way for you to gain 70 horsepower is in fact a turbo kit. Don't waste your money on anything else. Just keep saving
Old 03-15-11, 02:55 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
YES that's exceptionally hard to get. Think about what you are asking- a 32% INCREASE in power while adding minimal additional air and fuel. What are you expecting to actually make this power? While there are a few mods to "free up" power, there are only a few ways for your engine to actually make more power:

Power is a function of torque- torque can be increased by increasing the force of each explosion in the combustion cycle. The force of this can be increased by increasing the potential energy of our air/fuel mixture. This can be done by increasing the mass of air and fuel pulled in by your motor, or by increasing the compression of the mixture. Increased air/fuel means forced induction or greater displacement. Increasing compression means high compression pistons.

The other function of power is RPM. You can raise the maximum RPM of your motor, however in order for this to be effective and not choke off torque thereby negating the gains from RPM extensive head and valve train work will be required.

Therefore the CHEAPEST way for you to gain 70 horsepower is in fact a turbo kit. Don't waste your money on anything else. Just keep saving
+1

Well said!
Old 03-15-11, 03:23 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOS with a progressive setup..
Old 03-15-11, 05:37 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodremz
your not going to get much gain out of the stock na engine unless you really go all out. you MIGHT gain 10-15hp with BFI/Exhaust(a good one), but I dont think it would be a gain your going to notice.

there is a reason 99% of the cars here on CL are GTE or na-t..the stock na just wont make power unless you do a high-dollar na build.

My suggestion, just save those pennies and go na-t or gte and until then, leave it alone and enjoy the reliability.
99% that made me lol

OP. until you realize for certain that NA mods dont net much power, just do an intake and custom cheap exhaust. Save money, get the bug out, and have fun most of all. Unless you're the master of saving, it will be hard to save money without atleast giving your car an intake for some fun sound benefits.
Old 03-15-11, 07:17 PM
lfrers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet you can get those gains using an electric turbo. They got one on Ebay for $40. I bet it makes an awesome sound too.
Even comes with a cool filter.
Attached Thumbnails What can I do to gain NA Power?-electric-turbo.jpg  
Old 03-15-11, 07:23 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
I bet you can get those gains using an electric turbo. They got one on Ebay for $40. I bet it makes an awesome sound too.
Even comes with a cool filter.
do you just plug this into the intake? curious to see how the maf would like this

honestly it probably be cheaper to trade the sc300 for an sc400
Old 03-15-11, 07:49 PM
lfrers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look buy one of these, hook it up , and let us know how it works out. They claim 100HP gains.
http://www.electricturbocharger.com/...harger+Results
Old 03-15-11, 07:53 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

If your gonna do all motor than do it right------> http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...-na-supra.aspx

I remember this being posted here on CL before but couldn't find the actual thread.
Old 03-15-11, 08:17 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ That supra's engine build sounds like $$$$$

So here; I found an example of a simple supercharger with NO2 setup. Obviously, it will need some refinement, but I'm sure the cost is very reasonable for gains within the range the OP is looking for.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/leaf...-pull_7514.htm
Old 03-15-11, 08:23 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally forgot to mention the electric supercharger.

edit: Get itttttt its cheap and should work. And if you have an exhaust I dont see why it shouldn't work even better. Fun to zip around town I'd say

Last edited by ashtray; 03-15-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 08:29 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

LMAO +1 on the leaf blower lol
Old 03-16-11, 09:39 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

300whp is alot from the stock ~170whp? Its a 225hp car measured at the flywheel... When it was new... Getting 300whp as na... Might as well do a gte swap
Old 03-18-11, 12:56 PM
Yip
Driver School Candidate

As far boosting a SC300 on stock internals and compression what is "safe" PSI to run and where can reliable kits be purchased?

Quick Reply: What can I do to gain NA Power?