Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What can I do to gain NA Power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 12:59 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're OBDI then nothing past 10psi for Daily driver because then you might wanna do more like a headgasket and perhaps injectors, for the sake of maintaining your internals. If you're OBDII NOTHING higher than 5psi for the sake of the ecu not taking a dump on you.
Old 03-18-11, 04:45 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yip
As far boosting a SC300 on stock internals and compression what is "safe" PSI to run and where can reliable kits be purchased?
You haven't provided enough information to answer that question adequately. You can have totally different answer depending on so many variables (engine management, tune, fuel delivery, parts quality, fuel quality, etc. etc. etc.).

Then, on top of that, you've always got the factor of 'pros' vs 'joes' opinions.
Old 03-18-11, 05:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

lol the leaf blower was quite funny
Old 03-18-11, 06:08 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol the leaf blower was quite funny
Just add a BOV and you're all set.
Old 03-18-11, 06:19 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by iwannadie
Just add a BOV and you're all set.
lol this thread has become quite comical
Old 03-18-11, 07:38 PM
Yip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
You haven't provided enough information to answer that question adequately. You can have totally different answer depending on so many variables (engine management, tune, fuel delivery, parts quality, fuel quality, etc. etc. etc.).

Then, on top of that, you've always got the factor of 'pros' vs 'joes' opinions.
PFC, Tune, and Wahlbro 255? probably 91-93 octane. Basically stock components really, Not really look towards cam anything major with changing the compression ratio. What kind of hp can you put down with good kit, tune and fuel management? (of course a custom exhaust and header as well for better flow)

I don't know if anyone read my intro but I am really familiar with I4's mostly toyota's 2zz and 1zz, however I don't have much experience with I6's or V6's for that matter. That's why I my come off as retarded lol.
Old 03-18-11, 10:51 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have 300WHP+ on stock internals. If I was you, and I was going to tear the car apart to put a turbo on anyways, you might as well slap a TT head gasket on and some ARP head studs and depending on the tune, you will be good for ~500WHP. You need to lower the compression for boost. The internals aren't weak, but the head gasket is, because we have high compression pistons and not the low compressions piston like the GTE's
Old 03-19-11, 07:23 AM
Yip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
You can have 300WHP+ on stock internals. If I was you, and I was going to tear the car apart to put a turbo on anyways, you might as well slap a TT head gasket on and some ARP head studs and depending on the tune, you will be good for ~500WHP. You need to lower the compression for boost. The internals aren't weak, but the head gasket is, because we have high compression pistons and not the low compressions piston like the GTE's
Hmmm, not too shabby and not a bad idea at all Now as for an EMS... Do most run PFC or AEM EMS? Does Hydra make an application for the SC? Also say 425-500whp, what would one be looking at for full spool? 4k rpms?

I know with a 2zz (I4) you can push ~350WHP on a mild build at 12PSI /w full boost before 3k. Upgrading the internals and upping and cranking up to 24PSI puts down ~550WHP, however full spoolup isn't hit until 4.5k.

Now obviously I know things very depending on the setup and turbo size, but I am just trying to get an idea and get a bit more familiar with the SC & 2JZ.

Thanks,

Yip
Old 03-19-11, 10:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no need to change major internals even with 600+ hp.
you will need a better pump, and depending on hp level and ems choice, injectors obviously.

with stock headgasket you can run 12 psi or so safely with a good ems (fuel+timing) which puts you around 350whp or so on a 61-67mm turbo, some have done 14 psi.
you can also run E85 with stock compression which will allow you to run much more boost 20+ without detonation, and get some nice power figures without changing the headgasket. you will need an ems which can compensate for the huge injectors you will require to do this, and probably timing.

with a TT headgasket/arp headstuds you can run more boost and your compression is a little higher than a gte due to the higher compression pistons, but you are still safe to run good amounts of boost around 20ish psi and you can hit 500-600whp. you can also run a thicker headgasket, and run alot more boost but im sure you already know about that if youve messed with a 2zz before.

what some are doing now in the 2jz world is running a big twin scroll turbo on an undivided manifold and using a quick spool valve so you can get mch improved spool and lots of flow on top. expensive way to go but its worth every penny. I would run at leas the tt headgasket on this setup, you are going to be flowing a lot of air.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-19-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 10:43 AM
Yip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
no need to change major internals even with 600+ hp.
you will need a better pump, and depending on hp level and ems choice, injectors obviously.

with stock headgasket you can run 12 psi or so safely with a good ems (fuel+timing) which puts you around 350whp or so on a 61-67mm turbo, some have done 14 psi.
you can also run E85 with stock compression which will allow you to run much more boost 20+ without detonation, and get some nice power figures without changing the headgasket. you will need an ems which can compensate for the huge injectors you will require to do this, and probably timing.

with a TT headgasket/arp headstuds you can run more boost and your compression is a little higher than a gte due to the higher compression pistons, but you are still safe to run good amounts of boost around 20ish psi and you can hit 500-600whp. you can also run a thicker headgasket, and run alot more boost but im sure you already know about that if you've messed with a 2zz before.

what some are doing now in the 2jz world is running a big twin scroll turbo on an undivided manifold and using a quick spool valve so you can get mch improved spool and lots of flow on top. expensive way to go but its worth every penny. I would run at leas the tt headgasket on this setup, you are going to be flowing a lot of air.
Great explanation Ali,

Know that now I will definitely be running a GTE then. So 61-67mm turbo is what most every runs? Sound about right, heck 2zz only runs 28-30mm

Lol you would be surprised what those little 4 bangers can do! Sponsor on my other forum just broke a new record with 823WHP at 41PSI! Thing is an absolute monster!

YouTube - Monkeywrench Racing LSR Celica - 823whp dyno pull

Anyways, I plan on running 16PSI so I am not planning too much modification directly to the engine. Great insight on the APR, I've seen some reuse the OE bolts and studs through out there cars and end up replacing them down the road due to them breaking lol.
Old 03-21-11, 09:26 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Can we get back to the topic. which is NA power gains!! For the 2JZGE obd2 motor!. No leaf blower turbo or electric supercharger am just trying to put the sc name out there IMO are cars have potential but lack torque.
Old 03-21-11, 10:04 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

If your dead set on n/a power and all you want is to beat a g35 then just trade for a sc400. By the time you get your sc300 up to 300 hp, you could be making 4-500 for the same price turbocharged.
Now just to compare a complete (minus tuning) xspower turbo kit is $1749.00. Just a cam upgrade for n/a from BC is $700.00.
Old 03-21-11, 10:09 AM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Can we get back to the topic. which is NA power gains!! For the 2JZGE obd2 motor!. No leaf blower turbo or electric supercharger am just trying to put the sc name out there IMO are cars have potential but lack torque.
I think the point is there's nothing to get back on topic with. It's not cost effective, easy or worth while to try and make power on the NA motor. There's some people who refuse to believe this and will carry on the dream of real NA power but it goes nowhere.

For a fraction of a true NA build you can go turbo and make more power, what more explanation is there?
Old 03-21-11, 12:02 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iwannadie
I think the point is there's nothing to get back on topic with. It's not cost effective, easy or worth while to try and make power on the NA motor. There's some people who refuse to believe this and will carry on the dream of real NA power but it goes nowhere.

For a fraction of a true NA build you can go turbo and make more power, what more explanation is there?
+1

fin·is (fns, fns, f-n)
n.
The end; the conclusion
Old 03-21-11, 01:07 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
They lack torque BECAUSE THEY ARE SMALL. I already provided what should have been a very easy to understand explanation of how engines make power and why you will not get high torque out of a 3.0 liter engine. You need to stop wasting your time asking this question on forums and get your face in a book with some information on the basic principles of combustion engines. Once you understand HOW these engines make power, you'll then understand WHY they don't make a whole lot with only 3.0 liters of normally aspirated displacement to work with.

At this point, you're beating a dead horse.

Quick Reply: What can I do to gain NA Power?