Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 04:31 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I was thinking of rbchroming. I was not sure if I could drop a name like that, and I certainly can't vouch for them. They seem popular enough on SF though.

Yeah the chrome will cost ya, but man would it look killer in your car. Since the attention to detail on your car is so outstanding, it is one of few that would really showcase a chromed engine.
Old 04-15-11, 04:43 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote for the powdercoating and use the rest of the money for something else.
Old 04-15-11, 05:04 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 and sorry about the oil line....
Old 04-15-11, 06:00 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I picked this up so that I could do some work inside of it and then get it sealed up. Picking up the 100mm throttle body and landcruiser throttle cable today or this weekend. (picture from FS ad)

So thinking about it last night, I am going to do a mix of chrome and powder coating. I am going to go with a high gloss black on some pieces and chrome others.

I am going to call a local company that does chrome plating so we will see what they say.

I need to put this car together so I stop buying stuff for it. My biggest thing right now is that my harness is a mess. I was looking for a GTE one before having to rewire mine. I bought wire last night and mapped out all the lines I am removing. So it looks like I have a lot of wiring to do:
  1. Extend fuse box to back trunk
  2. Rewire and remove extra wires from harness - complete cleanup
  3. Reroute engine bay harness to run under the frame rails at the top. I do not want to see the harness at all except where the plugs have to come out.
Here is the parts I have gathered for my r154 swap. Looks like it might go together this weekend.
Old 04-15-11, 06:05 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

here are some more parts that I have sitting and waiting. I have other parts around but these are the new ones this time around...

its a manifold

46mm WG. I think the red faded. I will be making the top black (powder coat)

T61 with compressor off...
Old 04-15-11, 06:23 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you clean that manifold before installing, everything else looks great.

But why 100mm TB i know the stock TB will max out that Turbo for sure, but it's you choice.
Old 04-15-11, 06:43 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Make sure you clean that manifold before installing, everything else looks great.

But why 100mm TB i know the stock TB will max out that Turbo for sure, but it's you choice.
no doubt I will clean it. I am sure some will kick me in the nuts for buying it but owell. I look to do some work on the inside of the runners and the manifold itself first and then weld it together. I will not run it as is....

I am doing the 100mm because the stock does not fit on that manifold from my understanding ( I will verify it when I get it in my hands) and the turbo was really bought just to get the car up and running. Part II of the build this winter will be fuel system, AEM, bigger turbo, and cams. This will just be ready for that and look pretty I have plans in the high HP range. gotta keep up with a buddy dropping a LSx in his 240sx
Old 04-15-11, 09:12 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good man. Someday I will do mine. POWER FIRST FTW!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-11, 10:03 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
There is a chroming place the Supra guys use that looks like they do really nice work and the intake is $250. VCs are $100 each. TB is $90. Polished looks good until it smudges up and is a maintenance nightmare. for $500, you could have most of the big stuff under the bay chromed and it would clean up with windex
Originally Posted by ICONYQ
hmm let me see what I can find over on supraforums...if you know the name shout it out...is it the rbchroming.com? I will call a guy locally. I called about a chrome powder coat if anyone has opinions on that let me know. I am going to try to get by the shop next week and take a look at it.

Intake I am looking at going with an aftermarket just cause...it is chromed.
I would chrome or powder coat the following:
first value is chrome and PC = powder coat

valve covers: $200 PC= $115
pulleys: $150 PC= $0 ( I have new pulleys from drift or $55)
turbo compressor housing: $150 PC=$55
power steering res: $65 PC=$40
throttle body (looking at Q45): $90 PC=$45
water necks: $90 PC=$50
radiator hard pipe: $65 PC=$25
brake master cylinder: $45 PC=$35

chrome would be $855
powdercoating would be: $365

I know the chrome would look crazy but wow!! Again this is some thinking.
Originally Posted by stockhatch
Yeah I was thinking of rbchroming. I was not sure if I could drop a name like that, and I certainly can't vouch for them. They seem popular enough on SF though.

Yeah the chrome will cost ya, but man would it look killer in your car. Since the attention to detail on your car is so outstanding, it is one of few that would really showcase a chromed engine.

Please, please do yourself a favor and don't use RB Chroming. The quality of work that he produces is mediocre. I was so shocked that he has a good rep over on Supraforums. I sent two batches of chroming to him, totalling over a $1000 and the first batch came back good, but it was the easy stuff like pulleys, Intake Manifold plenum, etc.

The second batch which included the Throttle Body, Intercooler piping, Turbo Compressor housing, Waterneck, etc. came back looking like crap with pitting all over all the pieces and areas that didn't even seem to be prepped for the chroming. Chroming is all about prepping and obviously RB knows nothing about it.

So here's where the drama begins, the stuff came back looking like **** so I call Brian up and express to him my disappointment in the quality of the pieces and he apologizes and we agree that I would overnight the pieces back to him at my expense and he will redo them and then he would overnight them back when done. Well, to my surprise the pieces come back the same way. So, I just wasted time and money overnighting the box to him for nothing. So, I call him and now I'm pissed and this guy Brian, who supposedly is the owner tells me that he has to talk to his guys to see if they can improve on the pieces? I'm like what, aren't you the boss, what do you need to talk to your guys about? You need to satisfy the customer and correct the situation. Well, this was a Friday and he told me that he will call me on Monday with an answer so I wait until Wednesday and I called him, he told me that he didn't call me as of yet because he didn't have an answer for me. At this point, I'm like okay no problem, so I called the shop that was building my car and told them not to pay him for the second batch of chroming so I guess I sort of got the last laugh. Then he called days later and had the ***** to leave me a voicemail stating to send back the intercooler pipes so he can see if he can get the pieces done to my satisfaction and then if he does then I can mail him back the other pieces that were messed up. Man, I never even called him back.

The only downside to everything is that I had to pay someone else to correct his poor work. They had to strip the pieces of all the poor chroming and redo them.

RB's prices are very reasonable but you get what you pay for and the vision that I had in mind just didn't work with what he produced.

Also, just to give you an idea of how poor his work is. The Intercooler pipes that he couldn't get corrected were Greddy Four Row Intercooler pipes that come already polished and are a high grade of aluminum that when he was done with them were all pitted. He told me to put them on, they'll be below so no one will see them.

The Turbo Compressor housing had areas that weren't even chromed so was poorly prepped for the chroming process.

The Hypertune Billett Throttle Body was also pitted..It looked like someone who had no idea how to chrome did it..I couldn't believe that he would send it back to customer and expect payment.

Last edited by Wicked SC; 04-16-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 04:49 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-16-11, 10:22 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks about the heads up on rbchroming..I was thinking about sending him a few pieces but not anymore..
Old 04-17-11, 05:54 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Sorry guys, I've gotten so many PM's about who I used to correct RB's poor work so let me post the company name so whoever needs quality chrome plating can contact at their own leisure. These guys do A+ work!

SpaceCoast Plating
975 Aurora Rd.
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-254-2880
www.space-coastplating.com
Old 04-17-11, 09:16 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why dont you just do that "chrome" powdercoating? a friend of mine locally does powdercoating, and the chrome-like powdercoating actually looks really good, and it's way cheaper than real chrome.
Old 04-18-11, 12:12 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cartmill
why dont you just do that "chrome" powdercoating? a friend of mine locally does powdercoating, and the chrome-like powdercoating actually looks really good, and it's way cheaper than real chrome.
I am supposed to take a look at it at a shop locally. I have heard it does not have the same POP
Old 04-21-11, 12:43 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Here is what I am will be working on tonight:

and build all the trans stuff out.

Just got this dropped off by the brown truck...4" of fun (have the mid pipe too)

going to also work at dropping the engine in tonight and test fit the wastegate and the downpipe.

Quick Reply: Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154