Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 10:58 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
Sorry guys, I've gotten so many PM's about who I used to correct RB's poor work so let me post the company name so whoever needs quality chrome plating can contact at their own leisure. These guys do A+ work!

SpaceCoast Plating
975 Aurora Rd.
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-254-2880
www.space-coastplating.com

Hey WickedSC, thanks for the heads up...I too was looking at getting some potential work done in the future. I know you're meticously about your car, so if you vouch for these guys SCP...then I'm suscribed! thanks!

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 04-25-11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 05:51 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright ran into an issue and wondering if anyone has had the issue. I got the 4" downpipe and on the initial test fit the DP ran into the rear runner.

I am having the flange changed on the wastegate pipe so when that comes back tomorrow I will work on the downpipe. It does not look like much is needed.
Old 04-25-11, 07:37 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the same exhaust manifold with that 6 hold wastegate flange. have the main flange to head checked with a straight edge.

mine was warped 60 thousands out of the box. u may... have exhaust leaks. just make sure its flat before you install it. the gasket it comes with will blow out in like a week if you use it.
Old 04-25-11, 09:04 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

yea I have already tested it and would not use those ****ty gaskets...thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-26-11, 06:21 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

im also lookin at getting one of those ebay downpipes. but the one i want is from a 2jz (which is no big deal) and has the flex section in it. the only thing i need to do is change the Vband to 4 bolt on flange.

did u ever get the fitment fixed yet on your four inch down pipe yet?
Old 04-26-11, 09:00 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious what manifold that is?? Looks like a standard ebay manifold, are there any differences between each branded ebay manifold? Are you just gonna chop the downpipe, mount the vband clamp, and have a angle section welded in to match it up?
Old 04-27-11, 06:58 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

mine is a t3 1jz mani from SSautochrome. they all come from china tho.
Old 08-31-11, 03:50 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

alright I know I have been out for a long time...work was crazy and coaching the kids sports took all my time. Right now the kids are in Football and it is killing my time but I am tired of the car just sitting there, soooo....

I got power to the car again. I relocated the fuse box to the left side of the trunk. I will take pictures of the progress later...the main thing is the power is back to the car.

There are no longer any wires in the engine bay. I will route them all between the frame rail and the fenders. They are routed that way right now and going to finish covering/wrapping tonight. I will post pictures.

I removed the ABS...I am deciding if I am going to relocate it or just delete. The idea is to put in the trunk (hidden) and I will buy stainless hose and cut them to length. The point to this was to keep the car stock as much as possible. I am not decided on this though...ABS delete very easy!

I hope to finish the wiring and then I will start the fuel system tonight. I have all new lines, fittings, filter, AFR, fuel rail, Injectors, and pump - 12v mod already completed. I will post pictures and specs later tonight.

Biggest issue right now is that the R154 is not shifting after adding the extension to it.
Old 08-31-11, 09:24 PM
Bigzavs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious, what year land cruiser is the throttle cable from?
Old 09-01-11, 06:50 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bigzavs
Curious, what year land cruiser is the throttle cable from?
It is from 1995 but there are a couple options out there. What I am going to do is measure the length I need and then go form there. From what I have see you need to do this and then possibly buy a custom fit one like Lokar.

Here is some pictures from supraforums (NinetyFiveNA) to show you what can happen if you do not measure and verify first...

Old 09-06-11, 08:46 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

the fuse box is mounted. I took an hour this AM to get this done so I could get moving on the rest. The wiring was my first major hurdle getting back into this car and then of course had a holiday weekend. Here it is mounted (back of it). putting the rest of the fuse box in there is the easy part...needing to get the base setup and secure. It does not bounce much at all. Only downside to this is that I will have to take out the fuse box to remove the rear light...but not a big deal. I have positioned this to be in the small indent on the panel so I can cut that out and I will clean up the top of the fuse box so it will look clean back there and not out of place.

Old 09-06-11, 12:29 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one sick build. Glad to here the car has power, I wonder why your tranny won't shift? But gl with everything.
Old 09-09-11, 12:33 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Got some good news and some okay news today.

Good: The transmissions shift very well. They are not sure what the issue I was having was and since I disassembled and dropped off just inside they can not tell me. So they are going to take a look at the case and put it back together for me and see if there was something going on in there. I am dropping off the casing tomorrow and all the parts.

The okay news: they can tell that the trans was run with low fluid. There is some wear on the shaft and synchros. He said I do not HAVE to rebuild it but with the HP that I am looking to run it would not be a bad idea. I am going to run with it as is and see where it takes me. I know the PP will not be easy on it but I do not want to drop money in this trans while I am debating going v160 route later. If it breaks it breaks.

So I should get it back by Tuesday all cleaned. This was a big hurdle I jumped.

List to do in short term:
1. Need to order 90 degree fittings to finish off fuel system
2. Clean up the rest of the fuse box and put back together for final assembly
3. Mount turbo and Manifold and connect all oil lines
4. Find someone to weld intake and throttle body. Intake I need a 45 degree tilt put in to fit with PS pulley
Old 09-09-11, 02:01 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good man! Thats the 4"dp mp combo off of ebay correct? Its suppose to be a BL copy of their's for the Greddy T78 kit. Even if you were running a Greddy T78 it would still need modifcation
Old 10-24-11, 06:42 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

slow and steady we go. As you can tell I have no big push to get this done kids take the priority and football is killing me right now and basketball is starting up....

Fuel lines were put in this weekend. Fuel setup is now: -10 from tank to firewall. -10 to 2x -8 Y-adapter. -8 to each side of fuel rail. -6 return to Aeromotive FPR to stock return (for now). Bosch 044 pump with -10 bulkhead on top (plan to run dual intank 044s). PTE 880cc injectors.

might be hard to see here but this is the firewall and the -8 Y adapter is poking out right on the curve.

Downpipe and midpipe put in. I have it working (sorta) The only modification I need to do is to put a 1" extension on the DP to drop it. The MP is sitting on the floor of the car so it is keeping the DP and turbo from sealing (like 1/8").

This was one of the issues but I have it figured out now. I am going to run with the throttle cable pulley on top so it no longer interfers with PS steering pulley

Quick Reply: Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154