Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need advice (and probably a motor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 12:03 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Come on man let's leave the JZ out of this for once please.
Well a 2JZ on pump/meth would be over 600rwhp safely. It doesn't really make sense to work on a UZ for drag racing because low-end torque won't matter.

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Back to the engines at hand. The 2UZ is a truck engine and has worse cams that the 1UZ. Correct me if I am wrong, but the power peaks at 4800RPM stock. That's no fun. Also, the rods are tiny!
Then get a 1UZ-FE VVT-i head and a 2UZ-FE block. Perfect combination.
Old 04-09-11, 09:44 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
Well a 2JZ on pump/meth would be over 600rwhp safely. It doesn't really make sense to work on a UZ for drag racing because low-end torque won't matter.

Then get a 1UZ-FE VVT-i head and a 2UZ-FE block. Perfect combination.
My supra made 612whp on just pump with no meth however I still wan't to do something with the 1uzfe which should make 7-800 whp on pump with no issues on a built set up of course.
Old 04-09-11, 01:10 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
My supra made 612whp on just pump with no meth however I still wan't to do something with the 1uzfe which should make 7-800 whp on pump with no issues on a built set up of course.
Aluminum block engines are not good for boosting high power long term.

Have you ever cooked with a cast iron skillet and an aluminum skillet? The iron is able to keep a larger quantity of heat inside. It slowly warms up or slowly cool down. Aluminum has very rapid temperature fluctuations. Long term this fluctuation will wreck havoc on your clearances if the block does not crack.

The supercharged LS9 does not make 700hp on pump gas.
Old 04-09-11, 02:02 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Yea but the sleeves are steel in the 1uz and for what it may be worth I don't think the 1uz has been pushed to even find the limits at least not by any of us and think about ls1's making 800whp on pump and Hondas making 4-500whp on pump all of which are aluminum block with steel sleeves.
Old 04-09-11, 02:55 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...all_omega.html

One example.

There are many more if you search....

KC
Old 04-09-11, 03:19 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Hondas making 4-500whp on pump all of which are aluminum block with steel sleeves.
Do you honestly believe those engines are going to last any reasonable length of time?
Old 04-09-11, 04:43 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum block engines are not good for boosting high power long term.

Have you ever cooked with a cast iron skillet and an aluminum skillet? The iron is able to keep a larger quantity of heat inside. It slowly warms up or slowly cool down. Aluminum has very rapid temperature fluctuations. Long term this fluctuation will wreck havoc on your clearances if the block does not crack.

The supercharged LS9 does not make 700hp on pump gas.
Arguing the power capacity of the 1UZ block is silly. Even if it were questionable, this thread is still about the OP and his 1UZ. Everyone already knows that you are all about the 2JZ. This is not an argument where it even has a place though. Stop thread-jacking him. If you have something constructive to offer the guy about the UZ scenario at hand, then by all means do so. People like you are the reason that there is a large amount of hatred outside of the Toyota community towards 2JZ'ers. You don't have to be so closed minded because you have found an engine you love. You see a go-cart and immediately "you should put a 2JZ in it." Give it a break man.
Old 04-09-11, 04:46 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Do you honestly believe those engines are going to last any reasonable length of time?
Yes I do as I have built a couple of these engines in the past which are still on the road today however the most common failure point is caused from improper tuning now if your tune is rock solid then it should last a long time.

There is 0 room for error at these levels so if a fp drops pressure or you get some not so great gas then yea it won't last very long but keep a close eye on things if you are running on the edge.
Old 04-10-11, 04:58 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...all_omega.html

One example.

There are many more if you search....

KC
Wow, that is impressive. So are you going to go with a built shortblock and crank the boost then?
Old 04-10-11, 05:08 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Wow, that is impressive. So are you going to go with a built shortblock and crank the boost then?
I would love to but don't have the money. Built short blocks really aren't that bad just more than I can afford.

I had Lextreme price me out a 4.7 block to handle 1000hp (low estimate) and it was only like 1000 dollars more than a new OEM short block. 6-7k. Of course one would then need heads and cams and intake to go along with it but still not really that bad when it comes down to it.

I have some plans and will be making (in theory) some improvements but am sticking with a 1uz.

I might start a new thread soon to get some opinions on my plans.

KC
Old 04-10-11, 05:17 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to but don't have the money. Built short blocks really aren't that bad just more than I can afford.

I had Lextreme price me out a 4.7 block to handle 1000hp (low estimate) and it was only like 1000 dollars more than a new OEM short block. 6-7k. Of course one would then need heads and cams and intake to go along with it but still not really that bad when it comes down to it.

I have some plans and will be making (in theory) some improvements but am sticking with a 1uz.

I might start a new thread soon to get some opinions on my plans.

KC
Can't wait to see what you have planned, your car is a great example of what can be done with the 1uzfe. Don't listen to these nay-sayers...
Old 04-10-11, 05:23 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanillaSC
Can't wait to see what you have planned, your car is a great example of what can be done with the 1uzfe. Don't listen to these nay-sayers...
LOL, don't get too excited, nothing too major. Again, I don't have a ton of money, just credit, LOL.

KC
Old 04-10-11, 06:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Well I am kind of in the same position as you since I would really like to stick out the 1uzfe for my street car use with around 500whp but it comes down to money to be honest and I think it may just have to come down to the OTHER engine but I figure I could build a 1uzfe for about 2,500 including machine work which would handle about 1k whp however I have some good connections and am willing to a lot of the work myself.
Old 04-10-11, 06:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well I am kind of in the same position as you since I would really like to stick out the 1uzfe for my street car use with around 500whp but it comes down to money to be honest and I think it may just have to come down to the OTHER engine but I figure I could build a 1uzfe for about 2,500 including machine work which would handle about 1k whp however I have some good connections and am willing to a lot of the work myself.
I thought about my own build. I am a Toyota tech and quite capable of it. But even just to buy some high quality parts is expensive.

Pistons / Rods combo 2k
Crank probably not needed
Cams 750 for regrinds 1200 for Kelfords
You could easily spend a couple of grand on the heads alone
Not to mention machine work, gasket sets, a lots of misc stuff..

I think a stock early block can handle close to 500whp with a REAL careful tune. I'm at about 400 I think. I think the only reason I killed it was because I got too timing happy.....

KC
Old 04-10-11, 07:58 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I thought about my own build. I am a Toyota tech and quite capable of it. But even just to buy some high quality parts is expensive.

Pistons / Rods combo 2k
Crank probably not needed
Cams 750 for regrinds 1200 for Kelfords
You could easily spend a couple of grand on the heads alone
Not to mention machine work, gasket sets, a lots of misc stuff..

I think a stock early block can handle close to 500whp with a REAL careful tune. I'm at about 400 I think. I think the only reason I killed it was because I got too timing happy.....

KC
I agree 100% and the only reason I could do it for 2,500 is because my good friend owns a top notch head porting business so I could barter with him on the heads which we both know that's where the power is.

You were on a small rod block correct?