Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 single turbo mainifold idea what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 02:31 PM
1uzboost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 single turbo mainifold idea what do you think

i want to have a turbo again but i love the v8 and i am thinking with a large single turbo i should be able to put down some good numbers before you start trying to edgucate me on turbos and fi please dont i have made and 2 kits before including custom mainifolds and installed multiple kits i am not new to this i just wanted other peoples opinions on manifolds and turbo placement

so since there is only one turbo kit worth a damn for this applacation that cost like 7-8g that out of the question bc i am a cheap lexus owner lol i was thinking remote mounte but then i would be worried about the scavange pump failling or alot of turbo lag as i was browsing google the other day i came across http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...thread-617789/ its a jeep with a remote/top mounted turbo and it got me thinking could i just use the stock mainifolds and make like a y-pipe exhaust to go from where the cats should bolt on to like maybe the battery location and just run my downpipe from there i mean it seems like a good idea and cost effective aswell

idk thanks for your time and opions
sorry for all the mispelled words and no puncuation lol

flame on
Old 04-26-11, 06:11 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

will the exhaust mani bolt on backwards?
Old 04-26-11, 06:20 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

Dude....honestly the cheapest way to do this is rear mount.. i dont know why no one wants to do this....this is what im going to do very soon. IM gathering parts now, and for a five speed swap... check out this link
http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Rear-Mount-Turbo.php
Old 04-26-11, 07:36 PM
1uzboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mr/griffin
will the exhaust mani bolt on backwards?
No they stay in stock place and just a u bend back under the mainifold back to the front from where you bolt the cats on at
Old 04-26-11, 07:40 PM
1uzboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Str8sikk
Dude....honestly the cheapest way to do this is rear mount.. i dont know why no one wants to do this....this is what im going to do very soon. IM gathering parts now, and for a five speed swap... check out this link
http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Rear-Mount-Turbo.php
I have seen that before its a pretty good idea I just don't to have to worry about the scavenger pump and any turbo lag and charge pipe diameter plus its a lot more plumbing I'm staying cheap and letting gravity circulate my oil for me instead of a 250$ pump that might fail
Old 04-26-11, 09:03 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

true on the oil pump....but the piping is really cheap i priced it less than 200 bucks....
well ill be posting when i get started.. best of luck to you on yours bro.
Old 05-01-11, 07:40 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1uzboost
No they stay in stock place and just a u bend back under the mainifold back to the front from where you bolt the cats on at
i meant can you switch the left bank with the right?
Old 05-01-11, 07:45 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

there are pros and cons to any system, my main thing will be ease of maintenance. plus i thought about putting the pump,remote tank with magnetic filter, oil cooler all in the rear. i want to cut out the tub for the spare tire first
Old 05-02-11, 06:56 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mounting it up front isnt that hard. Using the OEM manifolds will get rid of your AC... if you make logs it you can probably make it clear somehow... Or do what I am doing, do tubulars, gnarly but harder.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 05-02-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-02-11, 09:35 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Mounting it up front isnt that hard. Using the OEM manifolds will get rid of your AC... if you make logs it you can probably make it clear somehow... Or do what I am doing, do tubulars, gnarly but harder.
He's talking about running a y-pipe from behind the engine back up to the front of the bay. So, no flipping manifolds or loss of AC.