Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I Buy a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 05:46 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great points everyone. I've definitely had a different perspective after reading your posts.
Old 05-13-11, 05:44 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Car scared the hell out of me this morning. I haven't had any issues for two weeks and on my way in to the office I felt no power and all of the indicator lights came on. I was probably travelling at 30mph and came to a rolling halt on the side of the road. Car started right back up with no indicators, cels, etc. Oh man, I gotta get this checked out ASAP. It's borderline dangerous.
Old 05-13-11, 06:20 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Car scared the hell out of me this morning. I haven't had any issues for two weeks and on my way in to the office I felt no power and all of the indicator lights came on. I was probably travelling at 30mph and came to a rolling halt on the side of the road. Car started right back up with no indicators, cels, etc. Oh man, I gotta get this checked out ASAP. It's borderline dangerous.
Did you ever get around to pulling your codes? And again, yes you can have codes without a CEL being on
Old 05-13-11, 08:04 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why get rid of something that you like and enjoy, yeah its an 16 yrs old, but its solid one of a kind car, i dont care if sc's are 100yrs old, i dont buy cars to impress no one but myself, i like it ill buy it.

and yours mr tabaka is in great shape body wise and thats far more important than mechanics

as long as its clean and with good looking body you wont loose much money on it in along run
do a 1jz swap and keep the w58, ive ridden in a w58 mated to 1jz and its a blast, plenty of power and i also had '92 5spd sc300 so you can take my word for it
Old 05-13-11, 08:06 AM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

also wheres our beloved quickgs at? hell drop that thing in a day, seriously contact him
Old 05-24-11, 08:44 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

quick update on my situation. I did a full 100k service including the water pump, timing belt, every gasket (valve covers too), plugs, plug wires, distributor, and distributor cap. Ran an OBD1 scan and the MAF code popped up. Best price I can find for a new MAF at the moment is $600 from a local Toyota dealer. I've got another thread looking to see if anyone has an extra one sitting around. I'm currently renting a vehicle for $36 per day until I replace the MAF which really sucks. I'll let everyone know if the MAF fixes my idle issue. If it doesn't, than I have to get a rental car again until I can figure out what's wrong.
Old 05-25-11, 04:42 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sucks but , but i would fix the idle issue first before dumping any money in the car first stop hangin parts on the car and fully diagnose the car.
I shouldn't have spent couple Gs on engine that's leaking thru the cylinder, hopefully you get everything working like it suppose.
Old 05-25-11, 06:10 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL throwing out all this money and you're just now using the basic on board diagnostics...

Alright NOW that you have the MAF code, that's a start and a good one. Don't go buy a new MAF yet though. Grab one from a yard, it shouldn't cost more than $50. PM Aliga (Gazi) and he'll get you one.
Old 05-25-11, 07:10 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't stand the so call 'mechanic" that throws parts on a car, and it doesn't fix the problem.And if you don't much about car that will take advantage of you.

Klaus is absolutely right, get a used on and go from there if you buy a new that doesn't fix your problem
Old 05-25-11, 07:36 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone, I'll see if Aliga has one. If he doesn't, I found a used one on ebay for $149.00 but that's all I've been able to find. In the mean time I'll have to continue renting this car until the part arrives and hopefully fixes the issue. If not, I'll be spending $36 daily I guess.
Old 05-25-11, 08:35 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I've got one for a 95 (Karmen Vortex) buddy - I'll pm you.
Old 05-25-11, 12:34 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I've got one for a 95 (Karmen Vortex) buddy - I'll pm you.
PM Replied.

The shop just called and said they cleaned it for free. They ran the car up and down the freeway for a while and drove it into town and back and it didn't have any issues. I'd like to get a back up one just in case. Anyways, I'm going to return the rental car tonight and hopefully get too and from work tomorrow. If not, I'll just be in the same boat waiting for the new MAF to arrive. Thanks again for your help TechGreek.
Old 05-25-11, 04:31 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

If you're getting up and down the highway with no issues you should be ok.

Generally speaking your car will idle like crap if you unplug it and use a limp home mode fuel map (RICH)
Old 05-25-11, 07:04 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
If you're getting up and down the highway with no issues you should be ok.

Generally speaking your car will idle like crap if you unplug it and use a limp home mode fuel map (RICH)
yeah, they really didn't it test it correctly. It runs fine up and down the road, it's when you stop at lights or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic where the idle drops below 500 and stalls. Anyways, I just paypalled you some cash for the AFM. For some reason I thought 95 and 96 vehicles were identical and all used MAF's. Eitehr way check your paypal and please ship to me as soon as you can.

I drove the car home tonight with the AC one (it's crazy hot in the Washington DC area) and it ran fine and held idle through loads of traffic this evening.
Old 05-26-11, 07:02 AM
gunyvw
Driver

i am in your area have mechanical skill and shop access

Quick Reply: Should I Buy a New Engine