Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I Buy a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 08:30 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shouldn't be any issues crimping, etc. If all they are doing is scanning for a code and replacing a part, they need to quit working there and go work at Auto Zone. That's NOT even close to the proper way to diagnose a car.

All you need is a volt meter with ohm resistance on it.
Old 10-07-11, 01:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

unfortunately that is what 95% of shops out there do, that is why we have to take our cars to Supra/SC shops for the best results. Its probably not the maf to be honest, they mostly work or dont work, not so much 2 mafs both giving you intermittent issues, doesnt sound right. you should take your car back and find someone who can really diagnose it and not read codes.
I would lean towards something being wrong in closed loop. maybe reset the ecu and disconnect the plugs for the front 2 o2 sensors and see what it does. if it works well after that it will narrow it down.

Also it would be nice to know the number of the code that pops up, Maf is code 31 i believe.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-07-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 03:22 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a new starter and power steering pump installed yesterday. I drove the car home and parked it out front of my house. I was about to move it in the garage a few minutes ago but the car won't start lol. The dome light is flickering and the door ajar light on the instrument panel is barely lit. The auto door locks won't work as well. I just installed a new battery last weekend. I'm assuming it's the alternator?
Old 10-08-11, 04:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Wow man your really in deep here.

Ive been there and it is no fun, sorry I have no advice other then what I learned from my experiance.

Take it to one good mechanic and let them deal with it.

If he recomends you get an MAF and it doesnt resolve the problem they are 'supposed' to cut you a break since it was a faulty diagnosis..

Im shocked you got 4 grand into this engine, that is a serious chunk of change.

Good luck!!
Old 10-08-11, 05:21 PM
flip3d
Driver School Candidate

Tell that ***** that you can have whatever hobby you want.

Buy a civic and use it as a daily. Save up for a gte swap.

edit: I guess I'm too late. Sucks you blew so much money on it.
Old 10-08-11, 05:34 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Im shocked you got 4 grand into this engine, that is a serious chunk of change.
no kidding. All the parts for a 90k maintenance with all the bells and whistles shouldn't cost more than 500 and I can't imagine spending more than parts on labor.

Buy a brand new Power Steering Pump and Starter? Man you're never supposed to replace Toyota starters. Even when they are bad it's a few buck copper contact replacement fix. Power Steering pump. I've seen them go double that mileage without needing replacement.

Last edited by account2x; 10-08-11 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 07:59 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

What can I say, it's a 20 year old vehicle with problems. Believe me, $4,000 grand wasn't spent on the engine alone. Mods, tires, shocks, brakes are a good chunk of that. I always take your guys advice when I can and I really appreciate the input. Unfortunately I came across an issue where my car would completely shut off at every stop light. I couldn't diagnose it so I brought it to a mechanic. I fixed the so-called problem with a newer/used MAF and then it happened again. Now the car won't start lol.
Old 10-09-11, 04:09 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Had a new starter and power steering pump installed yesterday. I drove the car home and parked it out front of my house. I was about to move it in the garage a few minutes ago but the car won't start lol. The dome light is flickering and the door ajar light on the instrument panel is barely lit. The auto door locks won't work as well. I just installed a new battery last weekend. I'm assuming it's the alternator?
most likely yes or a bad contact to the battery, check the main cables.
Old 10-09-11, 06:09 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

I disconnected the battery, lightly tapped the starter with a hammer, connected the battery again and it starts. It sounds TERRIBLE when I start it though. It's very "winey". I'll try it in the morning and see if it starts. Thanks for the help MDSC.
Old 10-09-11, 07:46 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I disconnected the battery, lightly tapped the starter with a hammer, connected the battery again and it starts. It sounds TERRIBLE when I start it though. It's very "winey". I'll try it in the morning and see if it starts. Thanks for the help MDSC.
If you tapped it and it worked it sounds like it's getting hung up internally - it happens.
Old 10-10-11, 06:20 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Car started fine this morning. It was a little less whiny this time around. I did however notice a pitchy sound coming from the A/C condenser. Gonna fill it up with Freon and see if it helps. Also, the car didn't shut off 10 times on the way to work. In fact, the idle was around 1000 at every stop.
Old 10-10-11, 08:41 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

It's a start, I guess.

Last edited by LunaVyohr; 10-10-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 09:29 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Car started fine this morning. It was a little less whiny this time around. I did however notice a pitchy sound coming from the A/C condenser. Gonna fill it up with Freon and see if it helps. Also, the car didn't shut off 10 times on the way to work. In fact, the idle was around 1000 at every stop.
It might be your PS, try turn the wheel couple times and listen if it gets louder or something.
Old 10-10-11, 09:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its sounding like every time you reset your ecu your car starts working again.
Old 10-10-11, 12:10 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its sounding like every time you reset your ecu your car starts working again.
I get that feeling too Ali. I have my original ECU and never had any problems with it. The only reason why I swapped it was because I had light smoke at start up and after searching I found that people did a quick ECU swap which fixed the issue. And of course the funny thing is that the smoke still remains plus I have the idle issue now. Think I might just swap back to the original ECU and drive it for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy a New Engine