Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I Buy a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 07:21 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I Buy a New Engine

Car: SC300 5spd
Miles: 135XXX
Exterior Condition: Good/Fair
Interior Condition: Good/Fair
Engine Condition: Kaka
Budget: $3,000

It loses 1 quart of oil each week, smokes at start up, and shuts off at stop lights. For the most part it's been reliable for one year as long as I keep pouring oil into her weekly. The other day I checked and it was almost 2 quarts low. Timing Belt and waterpump maintenance is needed as well. It needs a new TPS, IACV, and a major, major tune-up.

Ball Park Estimated Cost to Repair
I'm guessing near $1,500-$2,500 including the timing belt, full major tune-up, valve seal repair, labor, etc

Estimated Cost of New Engine
2JZGE $750-1,000 + Labor
2JZGE+NA-T $2,250-2,750 + Labor
1JZGTE $1,000-1,900 + Labor
2JZGTE $1,800-3000 + Labor (probably way over my budget)

DIY is out of the question. I don't have the space, time, or mechanical skill. I also have to mention that I will need a rental car for any of the top decisions. The main issue is that I have limited time as I'm expected to work Monday through Saturday, 7:00am to midnight at a full time job and side business. And on Sundays I'm expected to hang out with family who think I'm crazy for keeping this 16 year old car when I'm 31 years old and can afford something new.

Okay, here's the shot out of the cannon: Oprah, Barbara Walters, your wife. You gotta ***** one, marry one, kill one, go!
Old 04-29-11, 07:30 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you buy another engine - who is to say it doenst need the same service ??
or how long down the road until it does?
Old 04-29-11, 07:31 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I guess it comes down to how much the labour can be done for with an engine swap.

I know alot of people here like to talk about it likes it changing out a tire but I dont believe most fo them have had any experiance with it.

Ideally if you could drop in a lower mileage engine with some extra power that would be great, 135 000 miles is not very low might not be worth putting thousands into it.
Old 04-29-11, 07:43 AM
Papajon
Driver School Candidate

A couple of points. If you fix your own engine, you know what you have. Say it costs a good 3 grand for everything. What can you buy for that money plus whatever you could sell the car for? If you really love and want to keep the car, for whatever are your own reasons, fix it. I don't like used engines unless they come with very strong guarantees from a reliable source. Also ask yourself what you would get if you said goodbye to your car and how much it would cost. It IS a dilemma.
Old 04-29-11, 07:58 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

All good points guys. I've definitely been leaning on just repairing my current engine and getting a rental car. The only thing that holds me back is knowing that I'm spending $2-3k+ on the same 180whp slug that pulls this 3600lbs yacht around.
Old 04-29-11, 08:09 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

^^^yes and not to say that is a bad idea by any means--its just it gets a bit scary when these engines are at that sort of mileage .

I would feel very bad if you put all this time and money into it and it broke down again in the near future.

Than again buying a used engine is also a roll of the dice.

Its very tough call no doubt.
Old 04-29-11, 08:20 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tabaka, man that's a tough question...if it was me I would probably go for the swap. You could still run into other problems, but if you buy from a reputable shop-you should be good to go. If you're not in need of swapping your engine immediately, I would get the swap, then start building it as you see fit. I would seriously think about the 1jz swap, I've seen them as low as 2100 complete...this was everything, tranny included. There's a guy of CL, can't remember his name...that has a 1JZ he's putting like 700 hundred something with his...Either way, I wish you best of luck with it. Here's the link I was telling you about. You may could PM him, and get more details?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...3hp-591tq.html

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 04-29-11 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-29-11, 08:32 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always find a ge on here for cheap take it to the shop and have them rebuild it. Once they are done have them do the swap. You will know everything should work and you will have less down time. I am on my mobile so I can't see where you are from but here in ca you can find ge's for 2-300 in "working order"
Old 04-29-11, 08:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really if you wanna rebuild the existing engine it will cost you more than $3k to rebuild,
machine work, new brearings, new piston rings, new VSS, HG kit , wp, tb, new orings alot of parts, if you really wanna do it right.

If you wanna just replace the VSS you do that, and maintenance and enjoy your car again.

If you are not crazy about big power just do a 1jz swap and have fun, there reputable shop in VA that sells great engines, atleast the guy in Sterling VA does.

2jz-na-t will cost more money if you want a reliable car.

2jzgte is another option but little more expensive.

Used low miles 2jzge and be done that's another option, if you know what to look for when you buying an engine you will be fine.

there are alot of option out there ,3k will is enough to get your car back on the road in top shape.
gl with whatever route you decide to go.
Old 04-29-11, 08:38 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, if your existing engine is in such a state of bad repair and behind in maintenance, then I would also assume that the rest of your car is similarly behind. If this is the case, you might as well sell the whole car and change up into something that's generally in better condition. 135k really isn't that many miles for these carsIF they've been maintained; sounds like yours hasn't. If you go the route of spending your all budget replacing your engine, I predict you will then have a seemingly never ending nag list of other repair issues which will end up making you feel like you just put good money to bad use; the car will be down and your family will be saying "I told you so". Sorry to be a downer, but that's what I see.

Old 04-29-11, 08:48 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

To be honest I say rebuild what you have. If you can read a book you can rebuild it yourself. You did say you don't have the time or space, and since you arent satisfied with the hp levels I did definitely look around for deals on a 2jzgte. That's a pretty straight forward swap from what I've been told.

Anything you do from this point forward must be taken with a grain of salt. Especially with a swap. The only security or sound mind will come from rebuilding your current engine. Now the concern about whp foundation can be set. Buy some forged rods and pistons for the rebuild, this way when you do have the extra money you can pick up an FI kit. Even if it costs a Lil bit more in the long run, you'll know that you have a reliable setup for years to come.

Hope I helped.

Joel
Old 04-29-11, 09:02 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

These are all honest answers and I appreciate everything guys, good or bad

$3k is definitely my firm budget. I could just sell the car, save the repair money, plus take more from savings and buy something very new. On the other hand, it really doesn't run that badly like other cars I hear on the road. It's not misfiring, got an exhaust scraping on the ground, windows held up by duct tape, etc. The interior minus a small driver side rip is actually quite good. AC runs great, alternator and battery are new'ish, new air filter, new distributor cap, plugs, wires, distributor O-ring (when I thought that was the case of losing oil), all needles light up, 5spd, climate control and radio work perfectly with no screen issues, tires have less than 1,000 miles, paint is still great, etc. It still fires up each morning, takes me 20 miles to work, fires right back up and takes me 20 miles home. Sometimes it just shuts off at stop lights but it's probably the IACV/TPS/TB that I have no time to change.
Old 04-29-11, 09:06 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest an auto 1jz-gte and throw the w58 behind it. They can be had for $1000-$1200 range and are one of the easiest swaps to exist on the planet. With replacement of maintenance items and labor, you're still in the $3000 range.
Old 04-29-11, 10:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

I sent an email over to www.japaneseengineimport.com who are a local Virginia JDM engine importer. I don't believe they handle installation though. If anyone knows a reputable engine installer in Virginia please let me know. I've got the cash in hand, but just need a bit of assistance on the logistics. I'd also like to keep my W58.

In case the company above doesn't reply, feel free to PM/post engines that I might be interested in. Whether it be on ebay or one you know of for sale, doesn't matter much.

Last edited by Tabaka; 04-29-11 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-11, 11:09 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

I'd do the 1jz swap also, your car's really pretty also, like a black version of mine. haha.

Keep the 1j stock, put a 2jgte ecu on it so you get better fuel maps/fuel economy and you will be set.

Much more power than stock, reliability of stock, better fuel economy.

What more do you need? lol

Quick Reply: Should I Buy a New Engine