Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Huh... My catch can system actually works

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 06:43 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
But what's your taker in the na- t setup cause the intake side it's being pulled into the intake manifold like factory and the exhaust side is ran to the can? would the intake side ever pump out oil like the exhaust side in the case of blow by?
Itd be exactly the same as the GTE version. One line from each valve cover to the catch can and one filter OR line to the intake
Old 10-02-11, 05:28 AM
RoninEng
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great info. Five years ago or so when I started going to bracket racing comp I was always intrigued by these catch can setups and how some people, that seemed to have the taste cars, "6" seconds, had pumps to pull the pressure out of the crank system. These were all motor from the lot that I was around. I would assume the benefits would be minimal on something more streetable but was wondering what you guys thought?
Old 10-02-11, 06:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
But what's your taker in the na- t setup cause the intake side it's being pulled into the intake manifold like factory and the exhaust side is ran to the can? would the intake side ever pump out oil like the exhaust side in the case of blow by?
Most of these setups people delete the pcv setup on the intake side cause PCV lets oil into your intake manifold under regular driving in vacuum, remember it closes shut under boost. So you would remove the pcv and tap the valve cover for a fitting, then run both sides exhaust and intake to a catch can. from there you run a breather or run a line to the turbo intake pipe.

If you want to keep the stock PCV system and get the benefits of a catch can, its even easier.
Intake side leave completely stock.
Exhaust side run to a can.
Then have a breather on the can or run a line to the turbo intake pipe, just like the other setup.

The PCV setup doesn't evacuate as much pressure as the first setup because the pcv closes under boost, so you only have pressure escaping the exhaust side when under boost. for normal setups this is ok, but when making big power or if you have issues with blowing main seals then you will want to delete the PCV so the intake side is evacuating pressure as well.
This will also keep more oil out of your intake manifold.