Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 W58 manual 4.08 to 4.27 gearset swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 09:48 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The early supra r154s got the 3.909 ratio and later switched to 3.727.
The sc400 is 3.916 and supra twin turbo auto is 3.769.
The soarer got the 4.08 but it was a 1jz, less displacement and torque and higher revving than 2jz.

the mark 3 supra rear end if interchangeable only with the is300. the 2gs, 1sc and mark 4 supra differentials are interchangeable.

r154 and w58 gear is almost the same. So you want either the supra tt auto for longer gearing or sc400 for shorter gearing. Both are close to the way toyota wanted it from the factory with a 3l engine.
Old 05-19-11, 10:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'd never boost with the W58 anyway.
Old 05-19-11, 10:25 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... thanks for the corrections smh!!
but i like to break everything down sorry just a bad/good habit

1. even if i got the mk3 diff and gave it to a shop to make work in either the 4.08 or 4.27 at the end of the day i would be wasting my own time becasue it's impossible.. even if they tried to mod it.. right?

2. only options i can actually choose from that gets me a lsd and lower gears is either the 3.72 from the later mk3 or 3.76 from the auto tt mk4 right?

3. and am i correct with the whole comment about the 4.08 not being that big of a difference from the 4.27 or will the 4.08 give me everything i want short of the lsd issue?
Old 05-19-11, 10:28 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

1) mk3 diff is only interchangible with is300. you want mk4 supra, other sc or gs
2) your only option for lower gearing and lsd is the 3.77(you round up here)
3) why bother even getting a 4.08, get the 3.92 from the sc400 since it's lower.
Old 05-19-11, 10:41 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

the 3.92 would be perfect if it was LSD but with that type of gear ratio i'm about to say f*** the LSD because with the 3.92 i will jump on the guys with the 3.77 and it's low enough for me to keep up or keep the lead up top...
Old 05-19-11, 10:46 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

u can put a kaaz lsd into the 3.92. I drive a lot on the highway so i favor lower gearing. either are upgrades imo
Old 05-19-11, 10:59 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
u can put a kaaz lsd into the 3.92. I drive a lot on the highway so i favor lower gearing. either are upgrades imo
according to: http://www.kaazusa.com/partinfo_japan.html
cant really make out the chart that wheel but all i know is it comes with a $1100 price tag

am i correct: open means its the 2 way lsd option?
and the torsen means it's the 1.5 lsd option?
Old 05-19-11, 11:03 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

i think all torsen are 1.5 but clutch pack can be changed between 1.5 and 2.

1.5 is better for road racing
2 is better for drag racing
Old 05-19-11, 11:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Quote:
I'd never boost with the W58 anyway.
Really? I've read enough about the W58 in my car to consider that if I'm going to the expense of swapping in a GTE engine I might as well swap in an R154 while I'm at it. To each his own.
Old 05-20-11, 07:46 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Really? I've read enough about the W58 in my car to consider that if I'm going to the expense of swapping in a GTE engine I might as well swap in an R154 while I'm at it. To each his own.
W58 are the weakes option to go with for sure. However, in the OP's case, this is just another excuse he's throwing outhere. I have a 1J with some BPU upgrades and a W58. Have not had any issues, since I'm not pushing huge numbers. A simple NA-t set up will not put you past or even close to the threshold of the W58. You'll need some engine upgrades before the W58 starts being an issue on NA-t set ups.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 05-20-11 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-20-11, 08:19 AM
KahnBB6

W58 are the weakes option to go with for sure. However, in the OP's case, this is just another excuse he's throwing outhere. I have a 1J with some BPU upgrades and a W58. Have not had any issues, since I'm not pushing huge numbers. A simple NA-t set up will not put you past or even close to the threshold of the W58. You'll need some engine upgrades before the W58 starts being an issue on NA-t set ups.
I am the OP. 1JZ's and NA-T setups do not pass Cali Enhanced Smog (visual). It's not another "excuse" on my part. If you live out here and have a way around the visual inspection or the potential roadside hood pop for whatever reason then you're a better man than I.

As for the W58 being durable enough for moderate boost setups? I'm sure it is but personally I will go with an R154 swap at that point.
Old 05-20-11, 08:37 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

I have yet to see a B.A.R. approved 2j swapped. Not saying that you can't do it, but lets just say I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Either way if your plan is to go 2jzgte, why waste your time with useless gears that are counter productive of your ultimate goal. You're right, to each his own, but I just think you're working backwerd or posting just for the hell of it.
Old 05-20-11, 09:18 AM
KahnBB6

You're right, to each his own, but I just think you're working backwards or posting just for the hell of it.
That's mildly upsetting to me. I am not posting for the hell of it. What would the point of that be? I originally posted this to explore any alternative other than going NA-T or doing a GTE swap as a means of making the car even slightly less sluggish. I am not getting rid of my 4.08 pumpkin so whatever I do can be reversed very easily in my garage. To say I am just posting for the hell of it, though...

I have yet to see a B.A.R. approved 2j swapped. Not saying that you can't do it, but lets just say I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Either way if your plan is to go 2jzgte, why waste your time with useless gears that are counter productive of your ultimate goal.
I tend to believe that too. I've talked to a couple of Cali guys with 2JZGTE swaps-- one with a JDM 2JZGTE and another with a USDM 2JZGTE. They would echo your sentiments on the likelihood of getting their swaps fully legalized no matter how "factory" (for a Supra at that) their engines may look but it certainly seems like a safer route to go with a stock looking 2JZGTE engine that has an OBD1 VIN on the block and an EGR port on the head. Not talking about ultimate potential here.

Because of that I am willing to try some slightly more aggressive gears in the short term. With them the car won't out accelerate an M3 or a 2011 V6 Mustang (ridiculous comparative examples have been used intentionally) and I'm not expecting that, nor do I care to race other cars on the street. I got over that years ago. I can change back to the 4.08 differential any time without much trouble.

Swapping out a whole engine and all it's wiring because of some smog related issue... that is a lot of trouble. The expense (other than the annoying cost of going fully USDM) of a swap isn't my issue. It's the legal unpredictability of what can happen with that swap when living in California that is my issue. Were it not for that I am certain that for the money a 1JZ would easily satisfy my modest power goals.

The gear change was originally intended to be done with a TT Auto diff install but based on the responses in this thread I will just try the 4.27 pumpkin first. If I don't like it and give up on my dogged desire to have firsthand experience, out it goes and in goes the 4.08.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-01-16 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Grammatical fixes
Old 05-20-11, 09:33 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate my auto diff now. in the beginning after the 5speed swap it was really fun but now since i drive up and down the highways it sucks cuz at 65 car is at 3000rpm. the gears are shorter and the car feels quick but honestly i would love to have a lower gear ratio
Old 05-20-11, 09:43 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

I have yet to see a B.A.R. approved 2j swapped. Not saying that you can't do it, but lets just say I'm pretty sure it won't happen.
A 2JZ-GTE swap out of a U.S. spec Supra engine is B.A.R. approved if the engine is the same model year or newer. All parts dealing with emissions need to be factory on the Supra or B.A.R. approved. It should be a very easy swap to get B.A.R. approved but why bother?

Originally Posted by kez
i hate my auto diff now. in the beginning after the 5speed swap it was really fun but now since i drive up and down the highways it sucks cuz at 65 car is at 3000rpm. the gears are shorter and the car feels quick but honestly i would love to have a lower gear ratio
Get that SC400 diff. It's a direct swap.

Quick Reply: SC300 W58 manual 4.08 to 4.27 gearset swap