Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is a safc a good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 11:39 PM
Abelo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a safc a good idea??

so i just finished my single turbo swap on my soarer, and now im looking for a quick easy tune, i just need the car running right so i can daily drive it and occasionally race it. ive got a apexi safc i can pick up for 130 dollars and really considering it, i am also about to purchase supra 550cc injectors, i just want a good tune that will yield good results with no blown motor any suggestions?
1jz-gte 5spd
spec list so theres no confusion
-fmic
-mushroom intake
-t3 sinle manifold
-8 blade hx35 freshly rebuilt
-44mm external wastegate
-ssqv
-digital wideband
-electronic boost controller
-alloy radiator
-new rad hoses/oil lines
-3" exhuast from the turbo back
-oil press gauge(not yet installed)
Old 05-27-11, 02:58 AM
Han7
Rookie

Safc will be fine for now.

You will also be able to get rid of the Fuel Cut with it as well
Old 05-27-11, 03:07 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

^^ as above ^^

fyi - fuel trim does influence the timing on toyota engines.
Old 05-27-11, 05:01 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Han7
Safc will be fine for now.

You will also be able to get rid of the Fuel Cut with it as well

Half way there; Yes the Safc would be sufficient for his set up/goals however the Safc doesn't have the capabilitty to eliminate Fuel or Speed Cut...

You would need to get a Fuel cut defencer for that..
Old 05-27-11, 06:17 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Easy as pie.

Im making 347 hp with an SAFC
Old 05-27-11, 06:33 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

FYI get your self a new map sensor because i vertually have this same setup, with now the exeption of a GM3 bar map and a Power FC. i ran into the fuel cut because it was maxing out the base engine map and the Map sensor itself (Stock Map is only rated for around 14-17 PSI (1.4 BAR), i squized out 21 with my Stock ECU and SAFC2 so its possible to go further but you get no fuel or timing correction it just peaks on the scale and rides it out)
Get the Safc2 you might be able to trick the motor a little. it will break up with how much and how fast the boost comes on with the HX35. well that is what happend to my Power FC. I am only boosting it at 18PSI but i rose the rev limit to 8000 and setup my ECU for the larger map. I posted a video in the drift section if you want to here and or see how it runs. I will be running it at higher boost but i want to learn the car a little more before i raise the Horses and torque.. When you did the Swap did you guys run a line to the intake from the Idle Air Control valve that is on the backside of the Intake runner, IF not then you want to Put some type of filter on it so it dosnt suck up any crud into the cylinders. I rigged up Oil breather to do the job.

PS i am hardly even touching where the HX35's Capabilities are. I look forward to Boosting it higher but right now its running great.
Old 05-27-11, 08:11 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Safc will work well up to mid 400 depending on the tune. I never had a problem with mine and the mods look similar. Good luck remember tuning is everything.
Old 05-27-11, 10:21 AM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by Triple C
FYI get your self a new map sensor because i vertually have this same setup, with now the exeption of a GM3 bar map and a Power FC. i ran into the fuel cut because it was maxing out the base engine map and the Map sensor itself (Stock Map is only rated for around 14-17 PSI (1.4 BAR), i squized out 21 with my Stock ECU and SAFC2 so its possible to go further but you get no fuel or timing correction it just peaks on the scale and rides it out)
Get the Safc2 you might be able to trick the motor a little. it will break up with how much and how fast the boost comes on with the HX35. well that is what happend to my Power FC. I am only boosting it at 18PSI but i rose the rev limit to 8000 and setup my ECU for the larger map. I posted a video in the drift section if you want to here and or see how it runs. I will be running it at higher boost but i want to learn the car a little more before i raise the Horses and torque.. When you did the Swap did you guys run a line to the intake from the Idle Air Control valve that is on the backside of the Intake runner, IF not then you want to Put some type of filter on it so it dosnt suck up any crud into the cylinders. I rigged up Oil breather to do the job.

PS i am hardly even touching where the HX35's Capabilities are. I look forward to Boosting it higher but right now its running great.
ya i have a small air filter off my iacv. i will definitely go and pick up the safc then, its in my price range for now... what kind of injectors are you running?

wow well i really want to turn up the boost right now 9psi just isnt enough, it feels like my stock turbos somewhat
Old 05-27-11, 10:26 AM
Abelo
Driver

and also did any of you guys install you're stock lamba (02 sensor) back into the downpipe or just left it disconnected? right now mine is disconnected would this change anything besides how rich the car runs
Old 05-27-11, 03:35 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

id suggest a mapecu2 or 3. its a piggy back for under 500 and allows you to tune in a greater scale then a safc. look it up, super easy to tune. and its much more capable then any safc2 tune. i have the same setup, 60-1, 3inch turboback, fmic, 550cc injectors, r154 and i love it!
Old 05-28-11, 10:25 AM
Han7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
Half way there; Yes the Safc would be sufficient for his set up/goals however the Safc doesn't have the capabilitty to eliminate Fuel or Speed Cut...

You would need to get a Fuel cut defencer for that..
Yes you can...

Simply put you add larger injectors like the OP is doing and lean it out at the right rpms to trick the ecu
Old 05-28-11, 11:43 AM
vegas_sc4
Driver

Mapecu2 and 3 are not under $500. I would like to see where they sell this for that cheap
Old 05-28-11, 02:44 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Ive seen several Supras at lots higher than 400 on SAFC2 also.
Old 05-29-11, 02:29 AM
Abelo
Driver

okay well i just bought the safc2. i talked to one of the guys at rcts (they specialize in supras and bmw's lambos, and lots of jdm and tuning) and he said the safc will throw off timing and destroy you're motor,

but so many people run safc's i dont see why it could be that bad.

and anyone have any idea how to install it i dont have the wiring diagram,
Old 05-29-11, 03:33 AM
Han7
Rookie

It will be on apexi's website. Just make sure you look for the correct vehicle under the motor listings for the correct diagram

We've hit 415 whp on a single 1j and 470 whp on a single 2j both running 60-1 turbos with the only additions of larger injectors and safc.

Quick Reply: is a safc a good idea??