Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

lets talk all things cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 09:52 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks ok. I do see some room for improvement though. First off, what kind of fan are you running? If at all possible, I'd try to stick with the stock fan, and maintain a radiator shroud, as cooling drops off significantly without these two parts.

Also, something I've wanted to see done for a while is the use of a BFI airbox with a single turbo. I would think routing your hot side intercooler piping down where your intake pipe is currently located would make ample room for an airbox, and would draw in just as much cold air as your current setup. It would also be much safer to drive in the rain.

This is just my 2 cents. I don't want to tell you how to build your car or anything, so sorry if it comes off that way. Just wanted to share some ideas.
Old 07-29-11, 06:52 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
Looks ok. I do see some room for improvement though. First off, what kind of fan are you running? If at all possible, I'd try to stick with the stock fan, and maintain a radiator shroud, as cooling drops off significantly without these two parts.

Also, something I've wanted to see done for a while is the use of a BFI airbox with a single turbo. I would think routing your hot side intercooler piping down where your intake pipe is currently located would make ample room for an airbox, and would draw in just as much cold air as your current setup. It would also be much safer to drive in the rain.

This is just my 2 cents. I don't want to tell you how to build your car or anything, so sorry if it comes off that way. Just wanted to share some ideas.
wouldnt a higher flow electric fan work better then the parasitic clutch fan?

on another subject, radiators, how do you guys feel about the aftermarkets compared to stock as far as price, durability, and cooling. i ask cuz eventually i will need to replace my radiator that seems to have a weak spot and what looks to be a small leak (i see dryed coolant on the engine side of the radiator)
Old 07-29-11, 07:00 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a forged racing aluminum rad. I m running without a shroud and pretty much still seeing temps.in the 200's.
Old 07-29-11, 07:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova
wouldnt a higher flow electric fan work better then the parasitic clutch fan?
I don't know of an electric fan that flows better than stock. I've seen people do custom dual electric fans with a custom shroud, but that's $$ that I'd rather spend elsewhere, as the stock fan has been proven in high hp applications.
Originally Posted by Nova
on another subject, radiators, how do you guys feel about the aftermarkets compared to stock as far as price, durability, and cooling. i ask cuz eventually i will need to replace my radiator that seems to have a weak spot and what looks to be a small leak (i see dryed coolant on the engine side of the radiator)
I have a Mishimoto and my temps are a TINY bit lower than stock. Stock, the needle sat right above the middle line, and now it sits halfway on the middle line.
Old 07-29-11, 09:05 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would love to have a vented hood but i have yet to see one i like that doesn't draw too much attention
Old 07-29-11, 09:26 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

i am putting heat extractors in my stock hood. but i dont think it will be very conservative but not overly agressive
Old 07-29-11, 09:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

If you want to stop heat, cut down friction. Run a roller bearing engine zero friction. I've seen someone do a full roller bearing conversion to a ford 4cyl engine and it was mind boggling quick, efficient. Cost him like $20,000 to do it, but the results were insane. Was on some performance show a few years ago...... Resistance is what causes our engines to create heat, run slow, all kinds of things. If you could increase the efficiency of the friction parts in the engine by 50% you could toss away the bolt on "mods".
Old 07-29-11, 10:21 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If you want to stop heat, cut down friction. Run a roller bearing engine zero friction. I've seen someone do a full roller bearing conversion to a ford 4cyl engine and it was mind boggling quick, efficient. Cost him like $20,000 to do it, but the results were insane. Was on some performance show a few years ago...... Resistance is what causes our engines to create heat, run slow, all kinds of things. If you could increase the efficiency of the friction parts in the engine by 50% you could toss away the bolt on "mods".
i am so doing that tommorow
Old 07-29-11, 10:51 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

what vented hoods do you guys think look great, but not ricey and stupid.
Old 07-29-11, 11:40 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a vented hood you can't drive in the rain.
Old 07-30-11, 07:07 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by levie
what vented hoods do you guys think look great, but not ricey and stupid.
havent seen one for the SC yet.
Old 07-30-11, 07:09 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneJay
I don't know of an electric fan that flows better than stock. I've seen people do custom dual electric fans with a custom shroud, but that's $$ that I'd rather spend elsewhere, as the stock fan has been proven in high hp applications.

I have a Mishimoto and my temps are a TINY bit lower than stock. Stock, the needle sat right above the middle line, and now it sits halfway on the middle line.
do you have a pic of how, im of your engine bay? and do you remember what you paid. i dont mind getting aftermarket but if im gunna pay as much as a stock one ill just go to my dealer and get a stocker
Old 07-30-11, 10:39 AM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-t...kit-93-98.html

aluminum fan shroud with electric fans on it, flows 2000 cfm, that's what i'm running since it was cheaper for me to get that then the shroud and the clutch fan, also added their aluminum radiator to match. and got some custom samco radiator hoses.
Old 07-30-11, 09:07 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a vented hood. Iono If it actually helps or not. I used to have a problem driving in the rain but my new engine cover helps Keep the water out