Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

lets talk all things cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 02:53 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets talk all things cooling

it may seem weird (i am), but i am obsessed with cooling systems radiators, fans, custom hoses etc. it seems to me the heart of any beast isnt the fuel pump, turbo, cams its the oil galleys cooling fan radiator and so forth.

i am including air to air\water to air intercoolers, oil coolers, fuel coolers, powersteering,

so i just want a place to discuss cooling mods, problems, ideas and products (i am def not a vendor.... promise).

i will start by asking if anyone has found a radiator "almn" with trans cooler installed before i plan on modding one ?
Old 06-15-11, 11:09 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I've seen any aftermarket radiators for our cars or supras with the transmission cooler built in, but it's very easy to add a transmission cooler. I added a power steering cooler to my SC for like 25 bucks, and I'm sure you could do a tranny cooler for about the same price.

On a side note, I'd like to see pics of all kinds of custom oil/ps/other coolers that any of you have made. I'll try to get a pic of my PS cooler when I get off work.
Old 06-15-11, 04:11 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread Id like to see the same I mean for all boosted people you know the engine bay gets hott!! I think vented hood would solve that issue well.

Never thought of adding a P/S cooler but thats a good thing to do as well, along with adding an external oil cooler, never really seen a fuel cooler. Now if anyone came out with a way to cool the manual transmission temps down thatd be cool.
Old 06-18-11, 12:55 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

I have a vented hood and an aftermarket temp gauge hooked up right were the turbo coolant lines come from the turbo and see 215 at times. SCARY. I was thinking about making a custom fan shroud out of aluminum, Ya dig?
Lets see some cooling
Old 06-23-11, 07:06 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

thanks guys for the posts i will be posting picks soon. i just have to finally start my swap before any crazy fab work
Old 06-23-11, 07:08 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneJay
I don't think I've seen any aftermarket radiators for our cars or supras with the transmission cooler built in, but it's very easy to add a transmission cooler. I added a power steering cooler to my SC for like 25 bucks, and I'm sure you could do a tranny cooler for about the same price.

On a side note, I'd like to see pics of all kinds of custom oil/ps/other coolers that any of you have made. I'll try to get a pic of my PS cooler when I get off work.
it hurts me to say it but i think the mustang radiators will be an easy fit and cheap, i just think the toyota\yamaha gods will strike me down
Old 06-23-11, 07:30 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr/griffin
it hurts me to say it but i think the mustang radiators will be an easy fit and cheap, i just think the toyota\yamaha gods will strike me down
I think the radiator may rust and fall apart 15 minutes after being filled with coolant, in typical mustang fashion

It may be a good option especially if you can wire up the electric fan. They are quite high up there in CFM.
Old 06-28-11, 08:04 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

i wanna see some custome cooling guys and gals
Old 06-28-11, 10:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

is300 fan is supposed to cool very well for electrics, and I like how they have the built in coolant reservoir in the top of the shroud. I think a turbo blanket is the number one most effective thing for keeping our temps down, i need to get myself another one oil got on my last one and it got a little crispy if you know what i mean.
Old 06-28-11, 10:08 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

I need a blanket for mine too. Ive got a pretty big trans cooler and Ive had no tranny issues so far. Dont have a gauge yet, but after some spirited driving i can touch the lines on the trans cooler and they are hardly even warm.
Old 06-29-11, 09:23 PM
scmissle
Rookie

A good cooling system is key, and while I am a year or so out of doing it, i have a cooling system i designed. I used pvc as the mock-up but after its ready to be installed, all the PVC will be replaced with aluminum piping or 20 AN braided hose. My car is going to be a time-attack SC300 and i am going to utilize a rear mounted radiator built into the rear diffsuer. An electric water pump will be mounted in place of the standard pulley driven one, and a second electric pump will be radiator mounted to push coolant back to the front. Now many will argue about rear mounts, but the mid-engine Ferrari 430 can run a track 24 hours straight without over heating and its radiators are up front while the engine is in back. Using a rear mounted radiator also gives more balance torward the wanted 50-50 weight distribution I am aiming for. I havent determined whether the piping will be external or internal, but most likely external as an aid to keep coolant temperatures down. I know it sounds like a waste of time to most of you, but to truly go beyond is what has made some incredible race cars. I mean this old guy shelby did stuff a big engine into a small chassis and that def was good technology for the 60's
Old 07-04-11, 03:56 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scmissle
A good cooling system is key, and while I am a year or so out of doing it, i have a cooling system i designed. I used pvc as the mock-up but after its ready to be installed, all the PVC will be replaced with aluminum piping or 20 AN braided hose. My car is going to be a time-attack SC300 and i am going to utilize a rear mounted radiator built into the rear diffsuer. An electric water pump will be mounted in place of the standard pulley driven one, and a second electric pump will be radiator mounted to push coolant back to the front. Now many will argue about rear mounts, but the mid-engine Ferrari 430 can run a track 24 hours straight without over heating and its radiators are up front while the engine is in back. Using a rear mounted radiator also gives more balance torward the wanted 50-50 weight distribution I am aiming for. I havent determined whether the piping will be external or internal, but most likely external as an aid to keep coolant temperatures down. I know it sounds like a waste of time to most of you, but to truly go beyond is what has made some incredible race cars. I mean this old guy shelby did stuff a big engine into a small chassis and that def was good technology for the 60's
i def understand, i actualy want to make my hood into a radiator, or atleast part of it. the cooling system can yield great potential for something you can tinker with fairly inexpensively with good results. i cant remember if i posted about the hybrid cooling systems that store heated coolant for days. my purpose for my 1j vvti swap is innovation and fun.
Old 07-28-11, 08:45 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^Anyone know what year Mustang radiator works/flows better? 4.6, 5.0?

*I started my own hand at cooling. Engine temps on a boosted SC are Hott! Everything seals so tight on these cars sun roof, doors, and of coarse the hood.

I started by heat wrapping my Down pipe and mid pipe, and also added colder air to my turbo inlet. Its a start I still need to order a turbo blanket. But I think I can notice a difference Now if there was a way of venting the factory hood...
Attached Thumbnails lets talk all things cooling-eng1.jpg   lets talk all things cooling-eng2.jpg  
Old 07-28-11, 04:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

interesting cold air setup, most people make a hole under where the airbox used to be to go down into the fender.
where does that pipe lead to? does it curl into the passenger fender area or just end by the bottom of the engine?
Old 07-28-11, 08:16 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ali SC3 interesting cold air setup, most people make a hole under where the airbox used to be to go down into the fender.
where does that pipe lead to? does it curl into the passenger fender area or just end by the bottom of the engine?
Ya I thought about making a hole but the path seemed too perfect. It curls down and around into the fog light hole where my K&N is. I had to remove the big heavy EVAP canister. I just need to order a Dry Charger for the filter due to if I have to drive in a little rain.

Quick Reply: lets talk all things cooling