Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGE LS400 Throttle body Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-12, 10:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I forget the year, but you basically are looking for the Odb1 throttle body which is regular throttle cable driven, and if you can find one without trac like me that is the best one to get, the trac one has extra items built in and is probably a little longer then the non trac.

I am thinking of doing another 2jzge project later this year, not going to say what it going into but Ill probably get around to slapping this bad boy on.

This is the only place I could find an IACV flange to weld on and its for a 7mgte.
This is perfect cause the 7mgte IACV is very similar to a 2jzgte IACV, uses the same plugs and everything. the kicker is they are inexpensive.
I ordered one and it is a very nice piece and the IACV fits perfectly with the washer and everything.
http://www.beechperformance.com/html..._products.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-11-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-11-12, 10:44 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's about six unmolested LS400's laying around the yards here and I'm thinking about going to find one (from 1990 - 1995)

So the IAC has to be added on but cruise/throttle cables remain the same? No need to extend, etc.
Old 03-11-12, 08:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't think the cruise needs to be extended because it makes that round curve so there is plenty of slack to run it more directly to the TB.
If not I am sure its as simple as getting a longer cruise cable from another car. I will eventually post which one will fit, but I would try the stock one first anyways, It looks like it can to me.

the trans kickdown (if auto) and the throttle cable are oriented and should reach just like stock.
If you look at the bracket on the 2 throttle bodies, they are more or less the same design all the way down to the spring.
Its really like toyota wanted us to do this. I have actually been thinking off taking off my FFIM to try it, I sure miss some of that low end torque from the stock intake manifold.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-11-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 02:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

heres a better shot at how well it lines up. If I attack it with a dremel I could probably get it much smoother.
I can't believe how well it lines up because i used an off the shelf holesaw to make that flange, If someone made a real ls400 flange it would be perfect.

Old 06-03-13, 03:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

LS400 throttle body mod = Done
I know I need to get some new intercooler piping done I just made the one for the old TB work temporarily.

to get it to fit I had to grind off the extra coolant stuff on the bottom of the throttle body to clear the valve covers. had to grind a little material off the lower TB spring mount that sticks down for no good reason. i'll try and get some pics of that later if anyone is interested.

stock throttle cable used in factory spot and reused stock ge tps (one I got with ls400 tb was bad).
Looks like you can keep cruise its in the right spot but the way it connects is different, almost like it needs a washer or something Ill report back on that when I figure it out.
There is a spot for the auto trans kickdown cable, but since I have a manual I don't know if its pointing the right way but its there.

Yes I ran a IACV I like my idle valve, since this picture I moved the 7m iacv over to the intake side exhaust side was too hot right there, and it goes into the intake in the old egr spot.

One of my solutions for a quick IACV fix that works on most intakes in a pinch:
Take an inexpensive 7m IACV and weld a bung on the bottom of it for a hose barb or -AN fitting, then you can put a line on it and run it to the intake.
For the intake side I removed the EGR from the Y pipe and tapped the center hole with a npt tap, I I think it was 3/8 or 1/4, one of them fits in there just right. then I put a hose barb on it and connected to the 7m iacv.
Since the 7mgte and 2jzge have the same IACV connector, doing the above makes your car idle again.

later I plan on drilling and tapping some other part of the manifold for the iacv, maybe even the upper plenum by the brake booster along with some better intercooler piping. to be continued.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-03-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 04:19 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Impressive! Will the bigger 10mm make a huge difference? Sorry dont know much abot TBs.
Old 06-03-13, 08:00 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome!!
Would of been cool to do if I didn't have a custom ffim done
Old 06-20-13, 08:09 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

That looks much better than the stock GE throttle body
Old 06-21-13, 08:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by durps
Impressive! Will the bigger 10mm make a huge difference? Sorry dont know much abot TBs.
It helps with the throttle response a little but the power is similar. If I had 3" intercooler piping I think I would have seen more of a benefit with this mod as I had to really stretch the 3" coupler to even get it on the throttle body so it can provide more flow than stock, and where I cut the Y pipe I essentially took out the smallest part on the stock setup so every part of it is now as large or larger than the throttle body ID.
having the idle valve separate like I do now is not as perfect as with the stock intake, but the car still starts fine and idles pretty well, still have it on the car.

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
Looks awesome!!
Would of been cool to do if I didn't have a custom ffim done
yeah, I just took mine off. for me its not about what I have on the car anymore, its about what I haven't tried yet. I have decided I like the stock intake the best still, call me crazy but thats what the seat of the pants dyno is telling me.

Originally Posted by JohnMatt
That looks much better than the stock GE throttle body
Thanks, it does clean it up some and If I could get a 90 or something welded to it I could probably take advantage of how much shorter it is. The one nice thing is that to change the plugs taking off this throttle body is easier than the oem one then I have full access to coils.
Old 07-10-13, 07:44 AM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

So would you happen to be willing to sell that? I live out in the country and don't have the time away from work to take the parts to a shop to get this done
Old 02-26-21, 10:05 AM
MrGi11
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

stupid question... I know this thread is old/dead but was wondering what did you do w/ this? I am highly interested in getting it off your hands, provided you want to or if you still have it... lol. I actually like how this looks and the stock intake, on the whole, Provides a sense of originality to the NA platform, IMHO. What can I say? I'm weird like that. 😜
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 10:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Wow, what a thread bump. I had someone on the forum ask about it years back and I sold it to them as I was not using it anymore. No idea where it is now but it wouldn't be hard to replicate.
They don't make a ls400 throttle body flange so cutting one of those out of aluminum was a little tricky, and I just took it to a local welder who can Tig weld aluminum.
If you decide to try it I probably have some extra pictures I can post of the prep etc..

I will note that the ls400 throttle body does not have an IACV built into it for idle, so that is where alot of the length savings come from.
I just had a remote one hanging out in the pictures, but didn't like the solution that much.
I was planning to actually mount the IACV to the passage on the side of the Y pipe that the egr goes into, which opens just behind the throttle body but never got around to it.
I instead just installed a threaded fitting on the egr passage and ran a hose to it from the IACV, but never got around to cleaning it up and mounting it there instead.

I don't think the JDM model has those passages even drilled out, never had a jdm 2jzge motor to play with but assuming since no egr they didn't bother, but you can always grab a USDM Y pipe and modify that.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-26-21 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:56 PM
MrGi11
Driver

Shoot the pictures, brother. It would be easier to replicate then. I'm interested.

I might just do this at school for my metallics class
So, basically, make the cuts, make the plate, join the LS400 TB accompanied with the LS TB gasket, then the tps (from the GE will work) And finally, the IACV from 7MGTE needs to be joined on the USDM y pipe which has the EGR thingy, join the IACV flange on that side and we are done. Driftmotion sells the flange. Yay.

Thanks for the guidance.

Rishi

Last edited by MrGi11; 03-01-21 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 08:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The 7m IACV has same connector as the 1jzgte/2jzgte IACV (which are expensive) and also the sc400 IACV would work (the one I usually use easier to find).
Old 03-01-21, 08:47 AM
MrGi11
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The 7m IACV has same connector as the 1jzgte/2jzgte IACV (which are expensive) and also the sc400 IACV would work (the one I usually use easier to find).
Alright, so, if I get the 7m flange, it will work with a sc400 IACV? I know you have mentioned something like that on the ecu mod thread. But I don't remember much.

All I want to do with this mod is to have a 90 right out the TB, come down a lil, and then goes to the IC or whatever orientation that may suit, so it doesn't mess with the turbo exhaust housing and such. Thanks again, sir. I appreciate you.

Rishi.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE LS400 Throttle body Mod