Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How long should a shop with lifts and air tools take to install v8 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 06:18 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sullen0313
Exhaust Manifold
Replace
Right Bank B 3.9 5.2
Left Bank B 4.2 5.9

quit being a cheap ***. a shop is a business. people aren't in business to give out deals. people like me are in business to make money. if you pay me for a 10 hour job and i get it done in 4, i still get paid for 10. if i know any secrets of the trade and i apply them, then i make more money. more cars in the shop and out of the shop in the same time means more money for me. thats what the book calls for. thats what you are going to pay.

to summarize... don't be a cheap ***. pay the man what it calls for. you get what you pay for...
SHUT UP! Your comment was totally uncalled for. You obviously didnt get the jest of what the OP is saying.

To the OP. I think $750 is high too. I did my own headers on my car. Yes it is a pain in the a$$ but not $750 pain in the a$$. The hardest part of the job is getting the heat shield off the driver's side manifold. I wish I were up there cause Id do it for you for $300. Good luck finding some help.
Old 06-29-11, 07:35 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust Manifold
Replace
Right Bank B 3.9 5.2
Left Bank B 4.2 5.9

quit being a cheap ***. a shop is a business. people aren't in business to give out deals. people like me are in business to make money. if you pay me for a 10 hour job and i get it done in 4, i still get paid for 10. if i know any secrets of the trade and i apply them, then i make more money. more cars in the shop and out of the shop in the same time means more money for me. thats what the book calls for. thats what you are going to pay.

to summarize... don't be a cheap ***. pay the man what it calls for. you get what you pay for...
well thats a horrible attitude... my local shop give discounts all the time. He loves helping people and their cars, he loves what he does and if he gets done early thats all i am charged for... business is business but i sure wouldnt bring my car to you just because you said what you just said.
Old 06-30-11, 01:32 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust Manifold
Replace
Right Bank B 3.9 5.2
Left Bank B 4.2 5.9

Ehh..you know you're in the sc model forums not the ls460 right? You're telling the wrong demographic man..
Old 07-01-11, 05:14 AM
Sullen0313
Rookie

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
Ehh..you know you're in the sc model forums not the ls460 right? You're telling the wrong demographic man..
apparently i'm back on 240atlanta... it looks like you guys have your cheap asses as well...

all i'm saying is if a job calls for 10 hours, and i finish in less time, i get paid for 10 hours. you pay for 10 hours. if it takes me 15, i get paid for 10. if i get done in 5, i get paid for 10. period, end of story. maybe you should try to understand how the world really works. you've paid me for my skills and knowledge, not because i'm a useless mechanic. it's called flat rate labor. why would i get paid less for a job that calls for 10 hours? you should try telling that to your local mechanic and see how fast he tells you to get ****ed!
Old 07-01-11, 05:17 AM
Sullen0313
Rookie

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
SHUT UP! Your comment was totally uncalled for. You obviously didnt get the jest of what the OP is saying.

To the OP. I think $750 is high too. I did my own headers on my car. Yes it is a pain in the a$$ but not $750 pain in the a$$. The hardest part of the job is getting the heat shield off the driver's side manifold. I wish I were up there cause Id do it for you for $300. Good luck finding some help.

i bet you'd use a craftsman crescent wrench too...
Old 07-01-11, 10:06 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

all i'm saying is if a job calls for 10 hours, and i finish in less time, i get paid for 10 hours. you pay for 10 hours. if it takes me 15, i get paid for 10. if i get done in 5, i get paid for 10. period, end of story. maybe you should try to understand how the world really works. you've paid me for my skills and knowledge, not because i'm a useless mechanic. it's called flat rate labor. why would i get paid less for a job that calls for 10 hours? you should try telling that to your local mechanic and see how fast he tells you to get ****ed!
Exactly. I paid around $650 to get my IMF headers put on. I was quoted for 10 hrs at the beginning and that's what I paid. In actuality it took 2 days to do because they started late on the 1st day. Also since I have a '99 they had to modify the flanges after the cat was removed. So yeah it took longer then 10hrs but I only paid for 10.

So OP I paid $650.
Old 07-01-11, 10:19 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 hours Lol, I can swap an sc400 to a gte in 10 hours, That seems high to me.
Old 07-01-11, 11:31 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I think both sides have valid points.

A shop is there to make money and to stay open and pay the mechanics they have to charge what they charge.

Some shops are worse than others though for sure. I prefer to go a friend that charges by the job, not by the hour.

Old 07-01-11, 01:11 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ridiculous!
Go somewhere else to get them installed or DIY
Old 07-01-11, 01:47 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have much to chime in on, but it was decently easy on my 1uz swapped MKIII, but it didn't have any accessories on it.

Though I have done headers on a SC4 with auto tranny. It was much easier with the transmission off. He had to replace his torque converter anyway.

I think if I had to do the job again without taking out the transmission, I think $750 is pretty fair. Depending on what hte going rate of labor is over there.
Old 07-01-11, 02:26 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should take it to a known performance shop and ask how much they want to for the job. Most "performance" shops asks big amounts of money, but if something goes wrong (in this case o2 and trans sensors) they simply wash their hands. It´s better to know who will repair your car (and if it´s open to some advice, better) than to pay some shop high dollars because of a big sign with "....motorsports" or "....racing" on it.
Old 07-01-11, 08:02 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one ever has anything nice to say about mechanics when they do a good job, but have a high quote on something or try to follow the "rules" and everyone has a bandwagon.

I am a silent partner in a shop... but better believe if i found out my guys were "giving out discounts all the time" id flip out... You get paid to fix cars, not make friends. if you do good, fair work and charge a reasonable amount... and by reasonable I mean what it calls for... you will always have business. Cutting your own throat on a job will never get you ahead or pay the bills.