Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car running Rich all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 07:49 AM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that did not work out. IAT was working fine too or did you even fiddle with it at all? The only thing else I can suggest is to run the car on idle since you say it's idling bad and disconnect the IAT plug to see if the car's idling gets worse. If there is no change when the IAT is unplugged, you might want to try out a spare unit just to see if that will make a difference. I'm hoping this will be the problem because at this point, I can't think of anything else. Good luck.
Old 07-03-11, 09:18 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you mean IAC? if so i haven't try it yet but will in a little bit. i do have an aftermarket IAT on the intercooler piping for the Map Ecu 2 but i've disabled it so right now all it's doing is reading the temperature of the engine bay.

Last edited by SC300_704; 07-03-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-03-11, 10:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

your symptoms sound exactly like having a non-recirculated BOV on the stock maf, and it shouldn't be happening with the map ecu. maybe double check your maps cause its still looking up the tables based on load and sending that value to the ecu. that value could be making it run too rich, which is what causes the car to stall/almost stall (usually the harder you get on it before you go to neutral, the more it will want to stall).
you can watch which cells it hits under those conditions on the map ecu and try decreasing the fuel in those load areas (probably the lowest load cells).

it could also have something to do with your map sensor or where its plumbed, like if something was causing it to react slowly for some reason.
Old 07-03-11, 10:31 AM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC300_704
do you mean IAC? if so i haven't try it yet but will in a little bit. i do have an aftermarket IAT on the intercooler piping for the Map Ecu 2 but i've disabled it so right now all it's doing is reading the temperature of the engine bay.
Yes I meant IAC. Sorry about the typo. The issue with the unrecirculated BOV is a common occurrence with our NA-T's but I was of the assumption that the stalling problem was something that you are only now experiencing and as ALI SC3 said, this usually only happens after you've gone on boost and suddenly let off the gas pedal. It is a problem more prevalent with manual tranny sc's and happens a bit less often with the automatics. I don't know the exact reason why this is so.I can't help you on the MAP ECU because I actually have a brand new unit sitting in my garage that I chose not to install due to degree of difficulty tuning it for our particular vehicle (or so I am told). Maybe I just chickened out too soon. I have opted to try out the safc2 for now. I also don't think the MAP ECU will have something to do with your rough idle but I don't know if this unit alters the fuel trim even in closed loop. I wouldn't put much stock on my opinion re the MAP ECU though because all info I have on it is second hand.

Maybe I should actually start a thread inquiring on the degree of difficulty of tuning the MAP ECU (original version) unit for my car and how it might compare with the SAFC2 with regards to the ease of operation, use, and tuning.
Old 07-03-11, 02:09 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
your symptoms sound exactly like having a non-recirculated BOV on the stock maf, and it shouldn't be happening with the map ecu. maybe double check your maps cause its still looking up the tables based on load and sending that value to the ecu. that value could be making it run too rich, which is what causes the car to stall/almost stall (usually the harder you get on it before you go to neutral, the more it will want to stall).
you can watch which cells it hits under those conditions on the map ecu and try decreasing the fuel in those load areas (probably the lowest load cells).

it could also have something to do with your map sensor or where its plumbed, like if something was causing it to react slowly for some reason.
thanks, will keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by rexst
Yes I meant IAC. Sorry about the typo. The issue with the unrecirculated BOV is a common occurrence with our NA-T's but I was of the assumption that the stalling problem was something that you are only now experiencing and as ALI SC3 said, this usually only happens after you've gone on boost and suddenly let off the gas pedal. It is a problem more prevalent with manual tranny sc's and happens a bit less often with the automatics. I don't know the exact reason why this is so.I can't help you on the MAP ECU because I actually have a brand new unit sitting in my garage that I chose not to install due to degree of difficulty tuning it for our particular vehicle (or so I am told). Maybe I just chickened out too soon. I have opted to try out the safc2 for now. I also don't think the MAP ECU will have something to do with your rough idle but I don't know if this unit alters the fuel trim even in closed loop. I wouldn't put much stock on my opinion re the MAP ECU though because all info I have on it is second hand.

Maybe I should actually start a thread inquiring on the degree of difficulty of tuning the MAP ECU (original version) unit for my car and how it might compare with the SAFC2 with regards to the ease of operation, use, and tuning.
well my car stalls even though i'm not in boost before i let off so i don't really know what's going on. but i did checked the IAC and there's this plastic piece that have broken off, i don't know if that will affect the idle. and now that i can't plug the harness plug back on b/c the damn thing just broke into pieces now i have to wait till Tuesday to go to Toyota to order me that plug. i cranked the engine on w/o the harness being plugged in and now it's revving to 2k-1k back and forth so i guess the IAC is still good?

Old 07-05-11, 02:37 PM
rexst
Driver School Candidate

I found the problem to my car which was behaving like yours. Mine had a bad ecu. It's a good thing I checked the forum more thoroughly because we were already thinking it was a blown HG and what it was is a stuck injector (#5) that is flooding the cylinder. The injector is stuck open because some capacitors in the ecu are already leaking causing the injector to remain open. You just might want to check if your injector is doing the same. If it is, you know where your problem lies. I am going to attempt having the capacitors replaced and see if that will work because apparently our models (from 92-94) are the ones that have been suffering the most problems. Buying a used ecu out there will be a hit or miss unless you would rather get a new one which runs about $1500 from the dealership. I hope this isnt what your problem is but you might want to check
Old 07-05-11, 09:36 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rexst
I found the problem to my car which was behaving like yours. Mine had a bad ecu. It's a good thing I checked the forum more thoroughly because we were already thinking it was a blown HG and what it was is a stuck injector (#5) that is flooding the cylinder. The injector is stuck open because some capacitors in the ecu are already leaking causing the injector to remain open. You just might want to check if your injector is doing the same. If it is, you know where your problem lies. I am going to attempt having the capacitors replaced and see if that will work because apparently our models (from 92-94) are the ones that have been suffering the most problems. Buying a used ecu out there will be a hit or miss unless you would rather get a new one which runs about $1500 from the dealership. I hope this isnt what your problem is but you might want to check
thanks. i was thinking it could be the ecu as well b/c i do remember reading somewhere that said our year models have this ecu problem for some reason. i need to find someone to let me try out there ecu first to really know if it is bad or not.
Old 07-05-11, 09:38 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

well went to the toyota dealership today to try and get that IAC plug but couldn't b/c i'll have to buy the whole wire harness which cost like $500+...somebody sell me one.