Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 02:14 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Pump Questions

1) Is a Walbro plug and play or how much modifying does it need to fit and work?

2) Is the Walbro loud and annoying?

3) Are there any other pumps that will support a little boost and not be loud?

I'm planning on a nice little setup that won't be as big as some peoples by any means but I want to maintain the Luxury feel of the car and having a fuel pump sound like it came out of a 95 Suburban is not my idea of great.

The reason I ask is that my fuel pump just started to whine and it's on the way out I'm assuming so I may as well upgrade while I'm in there.
Old 07-12-11, 02:47 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say go with a denso supra TT intank. Quiet and reliable. I'm not sure though if a separate fuel pump ecu is needed to properly run this pump. I was reading on the supraforums that the NA ecu guys have issues running this pump but it was unclear.

Regardless of the fuel pump you will want to rewire it with at least an 8 gauge wire from the battery to the fuel pump for consistent voltage.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

From that thread:
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
if you really want good voltage, this is the real way to do it... a very very common mod on the DSM's - the stock wiring wasn't enough for an aftermarket fuel pump to get the full voltage possible... run an 8 gauge wire from the battery terminal back to the fuel pump... install a relay using the green/red wire from the fuel pump ecu as the switch for the relay, and then use a short amount of the red/green wire coming from the fuel pump to go to the relay....

voltage drop over 20 feet of small gauge (whats it - 14?) wire drops voltage all the way back to the fuel pump...

Last edited by HiPSI; 07-12-11 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 03:09 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Denso Kyosan pump, 300lph. I´ve bought one but not installed yet. The only advice I´ve readed is the wiring as HiPSI says. Will fit with little to no mods.
Old 07-12-11, 03:57 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I'll test it out with stock fuel pump from the get go.

Fuel flow on a bone stock motor isn't a concern for me yet, but when the boost is added I'll bypass it.

Any links for a good price saved anywhere?
Old 07-12-11, 03:59 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walbro 255 is plug and play as long as you run a gss342 and I have one in my sc which you can't hear at all and not to mention reliable.

Oh and the price is right for 87.00 shipped on e-bay just make sure you buy an actual walbro 255 and not the knock off which uses clever wording to make you think you are buying a real one.

My evo had a noisy one but really not bad so I would say out of the 12-15 walbro's I have over the years only 1 was loud and out of the 100's I have installed for customers we have never had any that were loud.
Old 07-12-11, 04:01 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Walbro 255 is plug and play as long as you run a gss342 and I have one in my sc which you can't hear at all and not to mention reliable.

Oh and the price is right for 87.00 shipped on e-bay just make sure you buy an actual walbro 255 and not the knock off which uses clever wording to make you think you are buying a real one.

My evo had a noisy one but really not bad so I would say out of the 12-15 walbro's I have over the years only 1 was loud and out of the 100's I have installed for customers we have never had any that were loud.
The 255 I had was the HP model, which is why it might of been alil more whiney prone. It also was hard wired with the larger wire which probably made it louder. This was also in a diff application.

Last edited by HiPSI; 07-12-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 05:49 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No 255 is just loud regardless of what kind of wire you use I have a walbro for about 3 years mayb we 9k miles at the most its loud as hell trust me I dont have a full exhaust only dp but I can hear the pump running seriouly. Denso gets my vote
Old 07-12-11, 05:55 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I think I'll go for the Denso, anyone have any cheaper prices than factory (wholesale)
Old 07-12-11, 07:05 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
No 255 is just loud regardless of what kind of wire you use I have a walbro for about 3 years mayb we 9k miles at the most its loud as hell trust me I dont have a full exhaust only dp but I can hear the pump running seriouly. Denso gets my vote
If you wrap the pump in the rubber isolater like you are supposed to it will not be noisy

Also look in to the full blown 342 lph pump which out flows the denso and is cheaper.
Aeromotive makes one as well and both out flow the denso and are cheaper.

Walbro 255lph gss 342 has made 600whp but will make 500whp reliably which end hp goal should be taken in to consideration as well.