Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changed fuel filter today, DANGER

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 11:34 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope I don't run into any problems when I change mine tomorrow i'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 07-17-11, 07:51 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC's are done the exact same way as the MK4 Supra.

Wear chemical resistant rubber gloves to disconnect the lines. Get them at autozone

1. disconnect larger fuel pump connector on the back of the fuel tank
2. start the car and let it die(if it wont start, leave the connector connected, start it, then disconnect the connector)
3. turn ignition switch to lock

4. jack up the rear of the car and put it jackstands
5. put out a container, or oil catch tub under the fuel filter
6. disconnect fuel lines

There's no reason to lay under the car, in fuel. You should be able to lay at the side of the car to knock this out.

I would assume the fittings are going to round off on you-

If there's any trace of rust on your fuel filter lines, you should soak them in liquid wrench alot before trying this.

Use a 14mm line wrench ONLY.

If the fitting starts to strip. Reposition the line wrench so that it's torquing against another corner of the fitting. I was able to reposition the line wrench 3 times before it finally let go before almost stripping.

make sure to support the fuel filter firmly with a wrench while trying to loosen the fitting so that the fuel line doesn't get damaged or bent.
Old 07-17-11, 08:03 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think about relocating the fuel filter into the engine bay? Would it have any negative effects on say, fuel pressure, mpg?
Old 03-27-12, 08:44 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i work at a shop and replaced many fuel filters and the sc400 "looks" fairly easy since it has none of those "special" clips anyways the sc400 was one of the hardest fuel filters ive ever had to remove,ya the gas just keeps pouring (thats what probly makes the job hard)compared to other cars that come in the shop the fuel just pours out maybe less than a minute. their bolts do tend to strip make sure both lines can get loose before actually taking out any line and have something to put the gas in just in case u get worst case a stripped bolt then u better bust out the gas container let it all drain out then figure out how you are going to fix the stripped bolt dont be in a hurry the gas you will lose will cost more than repairing your line
Old 03-27-12, 09:25 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Crimp the rubber line coming out of the tank and you're done it's hard to see when you laying on the ground I would imagine
Old 03-28-12, 06:42 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same crap the first time i changed mine..... it was lame and i lost feeling in on my right side for a week. as for the "why sit there in it " additude...... if your like me when push comes to shove you get into a get it done mode..... and thirty minutes later and a numb body done....
Old 03-28-12, 07:24 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Open gas tank to let pressure out.

Originally Posted by MDSC
Crimp the rubber line coming out of the tank and you're done it's hard to see when you laying on the ground I would imagine
Tried both myself when I was doing my fuel rail. Didn't work for me.
Couldn't clamp the line hard enough to get it to stop especially since the rubber line is wayyy up in no-mans-land near the subframe. Ended up using a fluid transfer pump that I normally use for trannys and diffs to suck the gas tank dry.

I tried to change the fuel filter while I was doing it but the flare nuts are seized inside the old filter so I gave up. It gives me an incentive to just upgrade to a new -6AN fuel feed line and Russell inline filter especially with the single turbo going in.
Old 03-29-12, 10:57 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmmm the gas doesnt keep pouring if you remove the EFI fuse while the car is running and let it die out.

At least on my sc300 thats how it goes, i faintly remember a guy losing like all the skin on his arm from this.... but then again why would you just sit there??? doesnt seem very bright but eh to each their own