Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

driftmotion.com power steering hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 06:48 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it on my sc for about 4 years now, great product!

Here are some old photos from what I could find, it's a really easy straight forward install from what I remember.

Last edited by 1siksc; 04-11-13 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 07:08 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
I've had this hose on for coming up on 2 years. Mine has always leaked at the fittings. I cannot get it to seal. The crush washers don't fit very well on the fittings. I wrote them and they were aware, just said I had to center it as best as I could and tighten them nice and tight, but not too tight... Kind of annoying, I've even considered putting some JB weld on them to help but that seems like the wrong solution and I shouldn't have to do that.
You can buy copper crush gaskets at O'Reilly or Autozone if you want a better fit. I did mine while the rack and PS pump was off the car, and didn't even know until now that the gaskets were to big.
Old 04-12-13, 06:55 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The fitting is the problem I think. I'll try to explain best I can.

The side that threads into the steering rack, the threads are so big / deeply cut, that you need a crush washer with a fairly large ID to fit over the threads. But then when you get to the hex flange where the crush washer will seal against, there are no more threads and it gets much skinnier. The hex portion isn't really that big. So this crush washer with the large ID barely even covers the entire surface of that hex flange. I've gone through 2 different crush washers trying to get it to seal, keeping it as centered as I could, but it still has a small leak.

I don't have a pic of it unfortunately because it's installed, and that might make more sense. But here's some pics I found online of different fittings, that might help show what I mean.

Start with this fitting. It looks pretty good. You can see the hex flange is much larger than the metric threaded portion. The threads aren't overly large, so you should be able to slide that crush washer on, and have a tone of sealing surface against the hex flange.

Now this one looks more like the one I got from DM. The metrix side has such large threads, you need a crush washer with a large ID just to get over those threads. Then once you made it to the hex part, that large ID on the crush washer almost has too much ID to really seal against the hex surface.

Maybe I need to just buy a different fitting. Or maybe one of those sealing rings with the rubber on the inside like this?
Old 04-12-13, 07:01 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

They are not metric crush washers so yea too big but what I did was super glue the crush washer to the center of the fitting then used a thread sealant and it worked flawlessly the 1st time with no leaks,
It's a simple fix really.
Old 04-12-13, 07:14 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Well maybe it is a simpler fix than what I think. Maybe I should just bring the fitting to Napa and see if they have a crush washer that fits better.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-18-13, 06:21 PM
chrislynch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a new steering rack in and my p/s hose leaking where the rubber meets metal fitting. Its a 94 sc300 been looking around and wondering if I could use one from a 94 Toyota supra NA or Turbo cause autozone has it for 85 bucks. Would it work like OEM?
Old 11-18-13, 11:10 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,238 Likes on 865 Posts

Edited. Didn't check the thread date.

chris, I looked into that but I believe the SC uses its own version of the high pressure PS line. If you're only looking at spending $85 or thereabouts, I'd go straight to Aaron at Driftmotion and get the stainless steel line.

Otherwise I'd recommend removing the high pressure PS line assembly from your car and taking it to a professional hose shop to be rebuilt as others have mentioned in this thread. That is the best way, short of buying a new OEM hose assembly.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-18-13 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 06:53 PM
chrislynch
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Ill try to see if anyone near me can fix it. Thank you very much just thought I'd ask.
Old 11-19-13, 11:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,238 Likes on 865 Posts

Sure. You definitely want a shop that works on PS lines among other things. They will provide the correct type of rubber hose and end fittings if bits of yours cannot be reused.
Old 11-20-13, 02:28 PM
chrislynch
Driver School Candidate

Ok I browsed around last nit I found alot dealing with hydrolic lines. But my hose is good its just rite where the fitting crimps on the hose is leaking. But if I can't find anyone and go with the driftmotion one, could you tell me the the pieces I need to go with it.
Old 11-21-13, 01:23 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a Drift motion PS hose listed in the Classified for sale. I ordered mine a few weeks ago but never used it. It is a great quality hose but could not find it when I was ready to install it (left it in the trunk of my friends car) So I had my old one rebuilt at a local machine shop for $65.00. My original hose was leaking at one of the fittings, I hate oil leaks. It is all good now.
Old 11-21-13, 06:36 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

also, ensure you are using dexron II/III ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in your power steering reservoir and NOT power steering fluid. i know, sounds weird, but thats what the FSM calls for
Old 11-21-13, 07:45 PM
chrislynch
Driver School Candidate

Wait hold on I'm supposed to use ATF in the steering instead of PS fluid. Crap I put PS fluid back in when I got new rack put in. So I need to drain it all out, clean EVO filter, replace line, attach PS filter and clean reservoir. Then fill with ATF
Old 11-21-13, 07:53 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i used power steering fluid and its fine.
Old 11-22-13, 12:22 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrislynch
Wait hold on I'm supposed to use ATF in the steering instead of PS fluid. Crap I put PS fluid back in when I got new rack put in. So I need to drain it all out, clean EVO filter, replace line, attach PS filter and clean reservoir. Then fill with ATF
yeah honestly i just found this out a few nights ago when i was standing in walmart googling which ps fluid i should buy (for my 300zx) and all the results pointed to using dexron atf which seemed odd so i googled the fsm and sure enough it says dexron.

so i saw this thread earlier today and before i chimed in, i looked at the manual for my sc300, and it too specifically says "add automatic transmission fluid DEXRON II or III."

reference:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sect6/630.pdf

Originally Posted by k7q
i used power steering fluid and its fine.
yeah i honestly dont know what would be wrong with using PS fluid IF its already in your system. ive seen people mention: it damages your seals, it CAUSES leaks, the viscosity is different, etc but no solid, technical evidence.

however, its always better to run what the manufacturer suggest.

Quick Reply: driftmotion.com power steering hose