Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removing the rear differential... it's stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-02, 07:27 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Removing the rear differential... it's stuck!

Hello All,

Back again with another question for you. I'm removing the rear differential right now and it's stuck. I've got it all unbolted, the half shafts are hanging free but the drive shaft goes down with the differential.

Is it necessary to drop the front of the drive shaft to get the differential free and out?

If not, what's the trick?

Thanks in advance,
Wolff
aka Overclocker

Last edited by Overclocker; 09-21-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 01:38 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Looking over the LSD that's going in next, there seems to be a few inch long bolt in the center portion of the differential that attaches to the drive shaft. The current differential is backed up against a cross member and has no travel backwards. I have the current differential on a jack and as I go down to a safe low level the drive shaft follows and keeps the differential from coming out, what gives?

Has anybody done this or know the secret? I don't want to break anything but I need to get it out or I'll have to put it back tomorrow with no upgrade so I can drive it on Monday.

Thanks again,
Wolff
Old 09-22-02, 01:02 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Bump because I'm up on jack stands and need help.
Old 09-22-02, 01:13 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drive shaft needs to slide forward to disconnect from the diff. First remove the tin covers at the drive shaft. Then you'll see two large nuts that are part of the drive shaft, next to the center support bearing. Use two large channel locks and loosen the two locking nuts. This will allow the drive shaft to slide forward. Then with a large pry bar or screw driver, pry the drive shaft end away from the diff. It will be tight, ensure the diff is level with the drive shaft, that will help. Hope that helps!

DD
Old 09-22-02, 01:27 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Thumbs up

DevildogIS300,

Thank you so much for your post! I'm printing it off now and will give it a try.

If I remember correctly you're a Lexus mechanic out in CA right?

Overclocker
Old 09-22-02, 01:35 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Good luck. Let me know what happens.

DD

Correction. There is one large nut. But you'll still need two large pliers. One to loosen the nut, another to hold the drive shaft.

Last edited by DevilDog; 09-22-02 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 01:52 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Cool man, read the correction. I'll let you and everybody know how it goes on my quest for the fastest N/A SC400 in the US.

Overclocker
Old 09-24-02, 05:43 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Overclocker
Cool man, read the correction. I'll let you and everybody know how it goes on my quest for the fastest N/A SC400 in the US.

Overclocker
You may have competition from Jim Meader once he gets tuned properly. He has a 4.9L SC400. If he adds headers and gets the ECU tuning I believe he may be able to push 270RWHP.
Old 09-26-02, 12:05 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Question New diff holes aren’t lining up with the drive shaft!

The saga continues… I've got the new LSD mounted to the body and the half shafts, but the holes on the 3 points that bolt to the drive shaft don’t line up.

My question, should the Supra TT LSD directly bolt to the drive shaft or is work required? I measured off the outside diameter between 2 of the 3 holes and the distance is at least 1 centimeter. The stock diff was around 10cm and the new one is around 11cm.

I’m thinking about swapping the 3 point mount from the stock diff and putting it on the new LSD. Any input would be appreciated.

Overclocker
Old 09-26-02, 03:31 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

You have a 6spd Supra dif and the tripod mount will not fit your driveshaft. I got into almost the same position that you did when I started my 97 because I wanted to run the stock rear end (4.10) with a supra 6spd and lenthened supra Driveshaft. But unfortunately they must be all one or the other.

I had contemplated taking off that mount on the lexus dif and swapping it with my supra dif, but just wound up swapping diffs too because I didnt want to go through the trouble since I was going to put on the 6spd diff once I completed the conversion. Now, whether or not you can take off the mount and have it work on the 6spd diff, I am not sure. I didnt have a large enough socket to pull it off at the time.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 09-26-02, 10:33 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Lightbulb

Clint,

Thanks for the info and that makes sense, I was wondering why they would be different sizes. I got a 35mm deep well socket at a local car parts store (Sears only has 32 then 36, and no deep wells at that size) and it seems to work. My dad got the stock tripod off and sice we've already mouted the LSD it's being a bear.

2 more questions... 1, if I get the tripods swapped will the LSD I have work? 2, what is the gearing on the one I have? I was expecting 3.76 and I want to know how driveable it would be.

Wolff
Old 09-27-02, 12:51 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Bump.
Old 09-27-02, 01:08 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

The LSD should perform the same if you are ever able to swap the tripods.

The 6spds are 3.27, only the auto is 3.76. Now...did you have to change a half shaft?? If it is a 6spd rear, then you will have to have done this. If not, then it is probably a 3.76 Auto unit. Now I thought these had the same tripod as the other 7.7" Lexus unit, but maybe no
Old 09-27-02, 03:30 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Smile

Clint,

The half shafts were the easy part, they slid into place and bolted right up!

I guess I need to know what the part numbers are or a way to tell what I have. Is there a way to tell what gearing my part has?

Wolff
Old 09-27-02, 07:19 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

I don't know of any part numbers for the rear ends. To tell the gearing you could just turn the input X revolutions and count the corresponding Y output revolutions.

So you did swap the half-shafts?

Quick Reply: Removing the rear differential... it's stuck.