Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1997 SC300 2JZ-GTE current swap step by step

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 08:33 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I got off at 11pm so I was able to get the sc300 stock exhaust off , I had to be back at 8am so I felt that was good enough for the night.

Name:  scexhaustremoval.jpg
Views: 8792
Size:  115.5 KB

Today I first removed fan, fan clutch, fanshroud, battery, battery tray, throttle cable

Name:  scengineharness-3.jpg
Views: 9070
Size:  116.5 KB

I tackled the sc300 engine wire harness removal, really not that bad. The ecu and body plugs are under the kick panel on passenger side floor, if you didn't know that already. It is easier to unplug from ecu and run through firewall and lift motor out with harness connected to motor.

Name:  scengineharness.jpg
Views: 8984
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  scengineharness-2.jpg
Views: 8813
Size:  88.9 KB

Pull the harness through firewall
Name:  scengineharness-4.jpg
Views: 8877
Size:  113.8 KB

I disconnected the tranny cooler lines
Name:  scengineharness-6.jpg
Views: 8788
Size:  121.6 KB

I was removing the heater hoses and when I went to disconnect heater hose from heater valve it broke the tip off of heater valve. Does anyone know if the heater valve is necessary, if so how much does one of those run? I might hit up LKQ (junkyard off of rivers ave in charleston sc) and see if they have a wrecked SC300 or 400.

Name:  scengineharness-5.jpg
Views: 8881
Size:  114.9 KB

The intercooler piping came in along with radiator overflow tank (bought from suprastore.com and it is slimmer but it had a freakin honda name on it. Not too happy with that, shoulda gone with custom metal tank. Whatever

Name:  scintercoolerpiping.jpg
Views: 8875
Size:  122.1 KB

Also ordered HKS SSQV4 from titan motorsports with aluminum flange but intercooler piping showed up with steel, so had to order a steel flange too.

Last edited by scthreegte; 08-18-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 08:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am subscribed. Loving thus thread already. Keep the progress coming.along with pictures. Lets hope you get your money back on those parts that were damaged.
Old 08-19-11, 06:42 PM
fantastic1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those pictures of you and your friend making that face is just so funny and makes it seem like the whole process is full of fun altho it can't be THAT fun haha.
Old 08-19-11, 11:23 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

Yea so shipping company shot me an offer of $70 dollars. Lame!! that isn't even enough to replace one thing on the motor. I got kinda pissed after this so I went ahead and ordered a single turbo. Turbonetics T-66 ball bearing, F1 turbine wheel. It should ship out tom. I already feel better!
Old 08-20-11, 04:56 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait you only got $70 bucks from the shipping damage, and then went out and bought a $1600 Dinosaur Technology Turbo?

The T-66 has been around forever. There are a lot of Nicer billet turbos out there too. Oh well.

Priorities? Sensors?
Old 08-20-11, 05:34 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scthreegte
Yea so shipping company shot me an offer of $70 dollars. Lame!! that isn't even enough to replace one thing on the motor. I got kinda pissed after this so I went ahead and ordered a single turbo. Turbonetics T-66 ball bearing, F1 turbine wheel. It should ship out tom. I already feel better!
Reason why i don't buy engine swaps on ebay or online because they will ship you the engine that broken parts , missing parts and once you get it and realise all the missing parts and you call the seller he will tell you it got damage while being ship to you and that you must file a claim with the shipping company
If i can't see the engine an pop the valve covers and lower oil pan off i am not buying.

When you go single you wont have to worry about those VSVs so that was a good move, And stay away from Suprastore please they will break your heart trust me and their price is outrageous .
Ordered from driftmotion the price are great and custumer service is outstanding.
Old 08-20-11, 08:29 AM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

The reason I went single is because I dont have to replace
The vsv's if I go single. The downpipe is also an issue trying to get one mated up to the Jdm twins. Turbonetics had a deal on their t-66 ball bearing for $1000 so not a bad deal. They put down 700 whp with cams with that turbo. It's already paid for and on the way.

As for the suprastore people, I called last night to check on my fuel pump,
Water pump, radiator hose kit, and intercooler and thy acted like i was hassling them. The intercooler piping showed up but that's it so far. He also said the hard pipes for radiator were still at the polisher. That's great and all but I ordered black hoses not hard pipes. He said they must have made a mistake so he ordered the hoses.....a week later. I just want my ****!
Old 08-20-11, 08:45 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Why is the suprastore people so mean and have such a bad rap on here for customer service and motor issues.
Old 08-20-11, 09:18 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see this one, good start.
Old 08-20-11, 03:23 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

This is the after pic of twins removal
Name:  sctwinturboremoved.jpg
Views: 8931
Size:  130.8 KB
Name:  sctwinturboremoved-2.jpg
Views: 8901
Size:  121.1 KB

The stock twins are for sale now if anybody wants them. Just shoot me an offer.

Today I was able to remove the driveshaft, crossmember, supply and return fuel lines, motor mount bolts, and a couple of connecting wires. I am really close to removing the stock SC300 engine.

Name:  scdriveshaftremoved.jpg
Views: 8755
Size:  103.3 KB

Last edited by scthreegte; 08-20-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 03:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is awesome. I will be checking back often. Which rear end are you using?
Old 08-20-11, 06:23 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

I am going to run sc3 rear end for a month or two until I can upgrade to TRD or something stronger. I am gonna keep boost pretty low until I get other things upgraded. I have seen others running around 450 on the stocker, I'm hoping mine will hold up for at least a little while. I am getting close to my budget, I might have to bring the plastic out of hibernation.
Old 08-20-11, 07:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I wouldnt do that. If you cant pay cash i would wait. Thats a big no no in my house. Lol.. I say if you are going to do something do it right and if it requires the plastic.. I say. .. What are you waiting for? haha. How much are you in debt so far? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 08-21-11, 04:01 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

I was just joking, this was all done paying cash and would like to keep it that way. I am about 5700 in I think, including motor. I had a 6500 dollar budget without selling anything that I dont use. I still have some wiggle room
Old 08-21-11, 06:22 PM
scthreegte
Driver School Candidate

Ok so with the single turbo on the way I'm gonna need to order exhaust. I am gonna run a supra single turbo downpipe. I have read that the midpipe for a supra turbo does fit but the cat back won't......is that true? People have posted that it fits right up and others say it doesn't. Basically I'm asking whether I need to run

Option 1- supra single downpipe, supra midpipe, sc300 catback(having shop mate these)
Option 2- supra single downpipe, sc300 midpipe, sc300 catback(Shop mating these up)
Option 3- supra single downpipe, supra midpipe, supra catback(get these altered at shop)

Just wondering which will be the best fit for my sc300

Quick Reply: 1997 SC300 2JZ-GTE current swap step by step