Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

can I use this Metal head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 02:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

and what have you built except a good case of hemorrhoids..go troll elsewhere .. to op , the copper between is to promote a better seal just like using copper crush washers wherever you have a high pressure situation like at fuel rail and power steering ..btw you can have a head lift due to too high of cylinder pressures which is by product of detonation and / or to much back pressure ( not boost)

and yes i can do some tuning on aem

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-01-11 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 01:46 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for, taking the time to respond to the thread.... I do appreciate that.... I also respect everyone´s opinion. However something is true about this thread.. and is the fact that big companies have to have some type of outsourcing to dill the gap in the industry.

I currently live in Tijuana MExico..just 15 min away from the USA boder . I have seen alot of companies Manufacturing and engineering plastics, car parts,CNC,chemicals , even Carbon fiber parts.

Some of toyota tacomas are manufactured in Tijuana Mexico and, some of the VW models are made in Puebla MExico. The cars are then Imported to the USA,then rebadged as USA models.

I will test the gasket... then I will provide more Feedback for future use... for people like me that are not full of cash. I know it sounds like trying to score the jack pot and trying to win a million dollars lol... but oh well I have acknoledged to take the risk.
Old 10-03-11, 12:14 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always been a firm believer in live and learn. And learn form your mistakes and or learn from someone else mistakes. I'm somewhat surprised though as to why Ed hasn't mentioned why he is so adamant about using the TT hg. Maybe being caught up in this " heated debut " has something to do with it.

But here's my two cents. Spend it however you'd like. A good friend of mine Rudy and Ed included have replaced their Cometic hg 3 times each. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys..But since changing to the OE not manf. by Toyota hg; they both have not had any further issues.. Just a true fact I wanted to share..

I wish you the best with your build and welcome to the rat race..
Old 10-03-11, 05:28 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by //LRD
I always been a firm believer in live and learn. And learn form your mistakes and or learn from someone else mistakes. I'm somewhat surprised though as to why Ed hasn't mentioned why he is so adamant about using the TT hg. Maybe being caught up in this " heated debut " has something to do with it.

But here's my two cents. Spend it however you'd like. A good friend of mine Rudy and Ed included have replaced their Cometic hg 3 times each. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys..But since changing to the OE not manf. by Toyota hg; they both have not had any further issues.. Just a true fact I wanted to share..

I wish you the best with your build and welcome to the rat race..
mine was 2 boostlogic 2.5mm hg .. mine was due to poor design and lowering compression too much to make power as well as a couple of other factors .. when you destroy squish you become more prone to detonation.. since going back to toyota oem hg no more issues...
Old 10-04-11, 09:13 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

I guess not even Cometic saved you from ringing the bell and then went back to OEM.
Old 10-05-11, 05:19 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 619Rider
I guess not even Cometic saved you from ringing the bell and then went back to OEM.
I believe this is why certain members posted their opinion on the matter. I guess they have been thru the ordeal of having to do work twice even three times. In an attempt to prevent you from making their same mistakes .

Penny wise dollar foolish.. Not made by Toyota OEM for me please ..Good luck with your build..
Old 10-05-11, 10:17 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

WOW . . . all this cat fighting here and not one person has mentioned milling specs (RA) for proper usage of stock type vs. MLS gaskets. The reason many have great success with the stock gasket is because it is made to seal to the relatively rough milling specs of the stock head and block. To move over to an MLS type gasket and get a similarly reliable seal, you need to have BOTH your head and block milled to a superfine (near mirror polish) RA spec.

Maybe some of you guys should do a little more reading/researching and a little less bickering. I don't get over here much at all since I sold the car, but I gotta say, it's sad to see what's become of ClubLexus lately.

some reference notes:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar396.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar996.htm
http://www.cometic.com/faq.aspx#q4
Old 10-05-11, 11:05 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ You know we have members on here that knows it all ...and i don't even feed into that stuff anymore do what you like , do what you want it's your car..who is going to be the one doing the work twice or paying someone to do the work again..

And you're right it's sad what Clublexus has become lately , i am even scare to share info with the other sometime because "Mr knows it all" will start bashing you or go back and forth with you.. on how you don't know what you are talking about " Spoolexo" i am not talking about you.

And it happens all the time where people don't have first hand experience , they just google some pictures and post them on here and tell it won't work ..

You can't always convince everyone you can try! but at the end of the day they will just do what they want but not what you've told them .
Some of the people you have to let them learn the hard way because they won't listen and knows it all ....

This is the only forum i mean the ONLY forum where you get bash for telling another memeber to swap the oil pump off the junkyard engine they just bought.. JDM Engine it's a junkyard engine... it's getting worse everyday.
Old 10-05-11, 06:09 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by good2go
WOW . . . all this cat fighting here and not one person has mentioned milling specs (RA) for proper usage of stock type vs. MLS gaskets. The reason many have great success with the stock gasket is because it is made to seal to the relatively rough milling specs of the stock head and block. To move over to an MLS type gasket and get a similarly reliable seal, you need to have BOTH your head and block milled to a superfine (near mirror polish) RA spec.

Maybe some of you guys should do a little more reading/researching and a little less bickering. I don't get over here much at all since I sold the car, but I gotta say, it's sad to see what's become of ClubLexus lately.

some reference notes:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar396.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar996.htm
http://www.cometic.com/faq.aspx#q4
agreed x 1000 in every aspect of your comment.. i am to aware of proper milling tech of head and block ( btw block not as critical as head but valid point none the less)and you are so right about oem gasket being more forgiving
Old 10-24-11, 10:47 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Today I found a TT gasket from rock auto... I think it will be more of a trustworthy place to buy a MLS from. The cost of the gasket is 36.79+tax.. I will buy the rest of the gaskets from ebay.
the specs of the gasket are
Multi Layered Steel (MLS); Thickness [mm]: 1.4; Diameter [mm]: 84.5; Length [mm]: 595; Width [mm]:

Last edited by 619Rider; 10-24-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 12:12 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

OEM or reputable company for certain things. No if's about it. If your going NA-t I would suggest holding off a little longer and saving the money for a good head gasket and ARP studs.... Do it right and do it once... That simple. Other parts like a ebay manifold are a different story. If it breaks you just have to pull it off and take it to a welder and get it fixed and braced up. Not the case with a head gasket.

My list of quality or nothing parts is bearings, rings, pistons, rods, head gaskets, oil pumps, water pumps, valve seals, etc... basically everything that goes into a long block. O and those valve seals off of ebay aren't always as they seem. Its like the HKS BOV's from china and other (name brand) parts that are nothing but cheap Chinese copy's. Back when I was in the Z world MSP performance came out with some really good exhaust manifolds. Less than a year later certain company had them copied and mass produced in China. A few members came together and bought the originals and the copy's for a good non biased side by side comparison. The verdict was the original product from a reputable company was indeed top notch stuff. The Chinese knock off had casting marks all over it, side wall thickness was way sub par, to the point there was actually a small pin hole in one of them.

Moral of the story. Certain things aren't meant to be done cheap. Don't risk important things to save a dollar and rush a build.
Old 10-24-11, 01:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I like that people have posted their experiences with the other types of available HG's out there.
I am surprised to hear about people going through several non-oem gaskets in a row.
Most of us have suspected the OEM gaskets are better, and it looks quite a few people have learnt the hard way.
I would probably stick with the oem GE gasket that is already in there before going aftermarket ge or gte.
Old 11-02-11, 08:21 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

I got some news... I bought the gasket from Mizumo auto from ebay... The gasket overall looks pretty good for 40 dlls.. shipped.
The Metal head gasket has 4 layers of steel. The top and bottom layer are not that think but the ones in between look, thick. It almost looks like the 2.00 cometic gasket , I had on my 7MGTE MK3 days.

If this gasket works it could be the end of paying almost double the amount, we currently pay for a gasket. Then we can talk to Mizumo auto to set us up with a NA-t gasket package.

In this picture the cometic 1.3 MM gasket has only 3 layers of steel vs 4 layers of steel on the Mizumo one

Last edited by 99SC42; 11-03-11 at 12:51 PM. Reason: no ebay links