Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte vvti MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 02:20 PM
Nikos14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll just leave the factory MAF on and just bring the z32 with me to the tuner. Just in caes I need to swap, I'm starting to think it will work. I've heard of people getting upwards of 380hp out of it. I don't think I'm going to go over that.. Lol. It would be nice though
Old 10-05-11, 02:49 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
why do you think that if running a MAF that you dont need an IAT sensor??

Im not expert but im pretty sure you would need an IAT sensor as that decides how to timing your computer will add/pull based on the intake temperatures in order to keep your engine safe.

You TECHNICALLY could wire a resistor into your IAT sensor but i wont make any claims to how safe that would be

a mass airflow sensor is an intake temp sensor. it measures the change in temperature when air flows past the hot wire. if the air coming in is colder, it will be picked up by the MAF, and the airflow will be measured correctly for the colder air.

some cars have an additional intake air temp sensor that's located after the intercooler (because obviously turbo/intercooler setups won't get the air back down to perfectly ambient temp) but if you have an efficient turbo setup, you can get away without an additional intake air temp sensor. example: my RB26 car had an additional intake air temp sensor on the intake manifold, but my RB25 car does not.

Last edited by cartmill; 10-05-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 07:35 PM
Nikos14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
a mass airflow sensor is an intake temp sensor. it measures the change in temperature when air flows past the hot wire. if the air coming in is colder, it will be picked up by the MAF, and the airflow will be measured correctly for the colder air.

some cars have an additional intake air temp sensor that's located after the intercooler (because obviously turbo/intercooler setups won't get the air back down to perfectly ambient temp) but if you have an efficient turbo setup, you can get away without an additional intake air temp sensor. example: my RB26 car had an additional intake air temp sensor on the intake manifold, but my RB25 car does not.
Cool, because my iat is built in to the MAF. It's before the turbo, so that reading is not really actual intake temp. In other words, the factory design registers the same temp from the MAF and iat. So, if I remove the iat my MAF will still register the same temp to the power fc.
Old 10-06-11, 08:39 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought the 1jz vvti had a separate intake air temp sensor on the intake manifold. i could be wrong though.
Old 12-19-11, 04:25 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ you are wrong. Non vvti Jz gte have the iat in the manifold, vvti has it inside the maf.

I'm currently making about 380whp with the stock maf. Should be able to make more, but I need more injector.