Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So my sc400 is turd slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 07:15 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So my sc400 is turd slow

I got beat by a ford fusion WTF? then I turn around and get smoked by a Harley so I am just full of fail today And yes it runs as good as it should when she was new but what a turd!

I almost think my vvti is300 was faster than this very poor excuse for a v-8 and I know it's not a race car nor was never ment to be but a little more hp is needed for this size of engine.

I may fast track this 2jzgte swap, Lol
Old 10-02-11, 07:59 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

SAFC tune, and BFI
Old 10-02-11, 08:05 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just hop in your Supra lol. A gte swap will def resolve the issues.
Old 10-02-11, 08:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

(a) You must not have eaten at Mojo Burrito lately.

(b) There have been mini-vans putting more to the wheels since 2005 than an SC even with minor mods like BFI and LTW flywheel, etc. It's simply PROGRESS over the last 20 years. The SC is a "must know it to love it" car. It's an old pig, it gets terrible gas mileage, it puts out less HP per liter than a Honda minivan, and most of them are as old as their owners. They are not "hip" cars with silver and carbon interior, and it just looks out of place if you try to do it.

...................................BUT to know it is to love it. These cars are not practical, they are enthusiast cars at this point. You have to want it to buy it...... and I love mine.
Old 10-02-11, 09:23 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Mine ran even with a 2000ish Maxima so they aren't dog slow. I was picked on by a 300C so I know where you're coming from though. At least you have a faster car to go drive; I sold mine! I think the 400's sweet spot is say 50-80.

Yes, even Dodge's v6 makes 300hp these days but back in the 90s, the Lincoln Mark VIII made 275hp from a 4.6 so it's pretty close hp per liter for its day.
Old 10-02-11, 09:52 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

(b) There have been mini-vans putting more to the wheels since 2005 than an SC even with minor mods like BFI and LTW flywheel, etc. It's simply PROGRESS over the last 20 years. The SC is a "must know it to love it" car. It's an old pig, it gets terrible gas mileage, it puts out less HP per liter than a Honda minivan, and most of them are as old as their owners. They are not "hip" cars with silver and carbon interior, and it just looks out of place if you try to do it.

...................................BUT to know it is to love it. These cars are not practical, they are enthusiast cars at this point. You have to want it to buy it...... and I love mine.
I love mine to death but the current V-8 is quite out dated as you stated but damn it hurts to get the heat put on me by a rental ford fusion However I bought the car with the intensions of a serious build and motor swap so I just dusted off the dust and took her for a spin today just for fun as I love just crusing this timeless classic!!

I do have an intake and exhaust and it's a 97 so no afc on an obd2 car for me lol

People just seem to want to come out of the woodwork to race me

It must be the exhaust

Old 10-03-11, 12:05 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

man that exhaust looks sweet.

I wasn't aware yours was OBDII, that puts a big hamper on things lol.

Think about it this way, at least the SC looks fast lol
Old 10-03-11, 04:43 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel I hate this v8.
Old 10-03-11, 06:51 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

that made me laugh/sad to read...i have a v8 as we speak it was all written so well..but damn straight threw us under the bus
Old 10-03-11, 07:09 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

+ for jz swap haha, and was the fusion a eco boost? there honestly kinda quick haha. and also take in to consideration the age of these cars. they where un believable for there time. and the looks will always be beautiful. always. love the colour of you car though
Old 10-03-11, 07:15 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

If you are stock the current V-8 SC 400 simply isn't that fast anymore. I believe a V-6 Fusion can hit mid 6s 0-60.

Hilarious thread title!
Old 10-03-11, 08:23 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by levie
+ for jz swap haha, and was the fusion a eco boost? there honestly kinda quick haha. and also take in to consideration the age of these cars. they where un believable for there time. and the looks will always be beautiful. always. love the colour of you car though
Thanks I looked long and hard for an rsp on black combo and I really wanted an sc300 but seieng how beggers can't be choosers I went with this one which was bone stock and the previous owner was neglectful on maint so I did all of th the maint just in time to pull the motor and trans and sell it for pennies It does however run really smooth and good and the trans is strong as well.

The fusion was not an eco-boost but he walked away from me like I was tied to a stump it was unreal but this will change in the coming months when I get off my **** and do the swap now if I could only find the time