Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 bro's with the 5 speed or Getrag swap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 07:20 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specking for myself I love the 1j with a big single and the rpms it turns it sounds like a formula 1 car.
Old 10-14-11, 03:22 AM
danegerous
Rookie

Roasted my tires (well tire, open diff) at a stop light tonight because no one was around...god I can't wait for this thing to be a manual. So much smoke in the cabin though, I thought my trans was smoking haha. And I was genuinely surprised at how easy it was for the car to stay there and spin em, I wasn't braking or anything.

Anyway thought I'd share. This thing is a 5 speed swap and a differential from being the best car I've ever had.

PS. looking for W58's is terrible, seeing R154's go for cheaper really hurts my feelings.
Old 10-15-11, 09:11 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so I just completed my swap, w58 with a 4.08 matched rear end. I've also had a S14 with a 1JZ.

Would I trade? Definitely not! I like the idea that I can beat on my 1uz and not worry about, I don't have to worry about grenading cermamic turbos, or fuel/speed cut.

Sure, it doesn't make a lot of power, but it's fun. I love the idea that I can punch it in fifth and go from 50 to 80 rather quickly. That and I love the sound of it .

It's just that now, the SC4 is my dream car that I've always wanted. Decent (read: reliable) power, A/C, PS, smoothness, and nice luxury feel while being sporty. I definitely love it!
Old 10-15-11, 10:55 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Just the kind of input I was looking for, thank you
Old 10-16-11, 10:11 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Sweet, so what do you plan to do?
Old 10-16-11, 02:08 PM
danegerous
Rookie

I almost traded my car for a built fc, similar to my last one before I sold it. I thought it through, took the SC out for a cruise and decided I would hate myself for trading such a nice car for an fc. Fc's are rad but I need something more then a trailer queen drift car at this point. I'm going to W58(hopefully) my SC. Pretty sad that I'm finding R154's for cheaper but I'd really prefer a W58. Then diff it up with a nice Kaaz or TRD 1.5way LSD and just drive it!

Only decision I've left to make now is what kid do I want to swap the 5 speed in, Quantum or this other kit...Obviously Quantum's quality is on point and everything but the other kit uses an external slave and fork type throw out bearing versus Quantum using the Quartermaster unit. It'd save me about $250 so just trying to figure out if the savings is worth it. I've asked around on one of my other forums and gotten some good input but still, no clear cut winner.

The remote t/o are just fine, even ford uses them oem on the ford rangers and some f150's

I have done a few on race cars over the years and they seem fine, I'm not sure about long term use though. I have a quartermaster unit I'm going to use with the quantum auto 1uz/w58 conversion. I read the Howe unit **** the bed pretty quick.

Bad part is no quick fix for that. But they shouldn't do that.

Be sue to get the one rated for what clutch you are using, that seems to be where people get ****ed up and blow the units seals apart. They use the stock/street clutch remote t/o on a high pressure race clutch. The forces needed are different and so the design is different.

The only pain is the setup it seems, getting it shimmed right and on the input shaft etc. but it's really not hard.

I'm kinda iffy on bell housings that look like they have been cast in cat litter, and sprayed with silver spray paint after. I remember a few horror stories about 4ag/w58 bell housings being cast wrong and marking the trans mis aligned, breaking input shafts off.

But that doesn't mean the adapter plate I will be using would be any less suspect of being " right "

I'm doing a 2.4 ford duratec into a 65 ford cortina wagon. Mated to a t5 rwd trans, some guy makes the bell housing. Cast it himself etc. we go to install the bell housing to do the measurements for the remote t/o. And luckily I said " hey turn that thing over, just to check it still spins. "

Didn't turn over

It was cast too think near the mating flange so it was hitting the pressure plate. We had to grind the **** out of it, luckily he cast it thick, just the wrong way

And they go on and talk about pedal pressure and such with the Quartermaster and whatever pressure plate you decide to run yada yada. I want the car to feel like it came off of the assembly line as a 5 speed, not a car with a lightened flywheel with a sensitive clutch if you know what I mean.
Old 10-16-11, 03:07 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Well before Quantum and the TV8 kit I pieced mine together. I used this kit on my MKIII before it was killed by a semi.

Anyway, I used a QM kit, and the pedal feel is rather soft, and I have an ACT HDSS on mine.

TV8 kit supports R154 though, if I could go back, that's what I would have done honestly. The W58 held up in my MKIII with a boosted 1UZ, but after I put it in my SC4, I realized that it handled a bit of abuse though. It's gotten a little notchy, but still good. If I hadn't spent so much, I really would like to go R154 honestly.
Old 10-16-11, 04:37 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Haha well let me know if you need one, I have a line on atleast 4 of them. And ZERO leads on a W58 from an SC or MKIV Supra. Makes me sad.
Old 10-17-11, 08:25 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I used a MKIII W58. Takes a little bit of things to get right, but worth the money.

You need a shifter from a 92-94 SC, SC300 M/T driveshaft, Marlin Crawler VSS, you'll need a welder to combine the W58 trans mount and the SC4 transmount.

BartleDoo pretty much has it explained step by step. I got cruise, reverse lights, and my tilt wheel to all work after the swap. Super easy stuff, especially if you can wrench on your own car. I think it took me two days from start to finish.
Old 10-17-11, 01:37 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Did you have to trim the shifter hole at all?
Old 10-17-11, 03:30 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I had to cut a new hole all together
Old 10-17-11, 03:33 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Wow that's pretty intense. I'm glad to hear the MKIII W58 can be used but for the trouble might as well go R154 I think. I guess it all depends on what's available to you, here I am swimming in R154s and all I want is gdang late model W58. This input is priceless to me, I can't thank you enough. Post some pictures!